Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
bingo....

Her INCOME is above poverty level and she is living below poverty level due to school expenses, I am guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I smell a sock puppet. People describing their income as a percentage of the poverty level, sure...

It's not unusual for low-income people to describe their income relative to the poverty level; many assistance programs are pegged to certain percentages of the poverty level. And I am fond of saying I live at 98 percent of poverty level after taxes and a student loan garnishment.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
Isn't he still pending trial for that voter fraud case in New Hampshire?
This

Voter Fraud

Old 10-05-2013, 06:39 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Anyone between 100%-400% of the poverty level will receive a tax credit. That means ~$46,000 for a single person, or ~$94,000 for a family of four. If a person/family choices to buy their coverage through the exchange, then our gov't can send the credit directly to the insurance company to avoid the upfront costs. The goal is to keep insurance between 3-4% of income, as opposed to bankrupting the country when the Baby Boomers retire.
You must have learned your logic in government schools.

Boomers will be getting Medicare in record numbers over the coming 15 years or so. It will be a massive drain on the treasury that can't be sustained. Adding tens of millions of able-bodied, under age 65 leeches to the welfare parade will only make things worse.

In order to be a productive member of society, you need to be a net contributor to federal taxes, not yet another leeching drain.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Oh, but, but, there's no voter fraud!!

Holy cow. I liked especially how some of these registered voters were supposed to be well into their eighties and nineties, and the person asking for the ballot clearly was not.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,219,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Also, um, why would a mother with two children not want health insurance?
Because she can do what everyone does with our old system and simply rack up medical bills, not pay them, and pass the bills on to you and me, the tax payers.

Republicans really need to stop using these mental midgets for their anti-Obama examples. It really shows their true colors.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You must have learned your logic in government schools.

Boomers will be getting Medicare in record numbers over the coming 15 years or so. It will be a massive drain on the treasury that can't be sustained. Adding tens of millions of able-bodied, under age 65 leeches to the welfare parade will only make things worse.

In order to be a productive member of society, you need to be a net contributor to federal taxes, not yet another leeching drain.
What's that got to do with the ACA, or the post you quoted? These insurance exchanges are selling ins. from private, for-profit companies.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
My daughter did hers on the online calculator and was given her poverty percentage, so that is probably where she got it from. When my daughter plugged in her numbers she was told that because she made 67% of the poverty level she qualified for no subsidy but that she MAY qualify for Medicaid. According to her, when she checked she didn't qualify for Medicaid in her state either because she had no children. The cheapest plan was around $2,300, so it's almost $200 a month that she doesn't have. The irony is that if she made 101% of the poverty level a year it would cost her $236 dollars a year, or $20 a month. If you don't believe it try the online calculator yourself.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-05-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yep, but the low IQ, low information class of American society won't understand. Too many big words.

Governor Lynch attacked the videographers, instead of the content of the video, and called for them to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The Attorney General attempted to issue a criminal subpoena on O’Keefe, instead of protecting the votes of New Hampshire citizens. Ultimately, the video was the catalyst that drove a veto-proof majority through the state legislature, overriding the Governor and paving the way for a new voter ID law.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My daughter did hers on the online calculator and was given her poverty percentage, so that is probably where she got it from. When my daughter plugged in her numbers she was told that because she made 67% of the poverty level she qualified for no subsidy but that she MAY qualify for Medicaid. According to her, when she checked she didn't qualify for Medicaid in her state either because she had no children. The cheapest plan was around $2,300, so it's almost $200 a month that she doesn't have. The irony is that if she made 101% of the poverty level a year it would cost her $236 dollars a year, or $20 a month. If you don't believe it try the online calculator yourself. What's fun too is to see what happens when you go from making $46,750 as a individual a year to making $47,100 a year, a mere $350 dollar a year, or less than $10 a week, raise.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

??? Nothing changed when I tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies