Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

When the Republicans in the House actually passed a bill funding the government for 2014 on Sept. 20, I looked it up in House.gov, wondering what, exactly, it said. It seems pretty routine and mundane, as funding bills always do. This section is funded at the same levels as that year. That section is funded, the other section is funded. It ran through all the parts of government from 2013. One odd passage saying Frank Lautenberg's widow gets $170,000. And that was about it. Twenty pages long as it passed the House.

But since then, I've been hearing liberals (in and out of the media) screamig their heads off, that the bill was outrageous. Diabolical. It prevented funding of Obamacare. The Senate would soon take it and "strip out the parts that defund Obamacare!"

Ummm, except there weren't any parts IN it, that defunded Obamacare or anything else. Obamacare (or the ACA or anything similar) was never mentioned, anywhere in the bill. The bill simply named everything that was funded last year, and said it was hereby funded this next year too. Find it here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...3hjres59eh.pdf

It's certainly possible for Democrats to write up another bill, either for Obamacare alone, or for all government plus the new Obamacare program, and fund it to their heart's content. Nothing in the present bill prevents that, or even addresses it in any way.

Yet the liberals went on, screaming and crying ave what an eeevil thing Republicans had done. I've been asking a number of them, what they are talking about. Where is this passage in the Sept. 20 bill, that does anything you arre saying?

In response I get more vitriol, more cursing, more insistence that we must "strip out the language that defunds Obamacare", and on and on. And no attempt to identify what part that is, what its language says, or where it could be found.

It finally began to dawn on me: These screaming, enraged liberals, have never even read the bill!

They have no idea what is in it.

They are somehow convinced that Obamacare cannot be funded unles this bill is modified or thrown out.

Even weirder, a lot of this "Strip out the language defunding Obamacare!!!" rhetoric, is coming from the mainstream media!!!

These are the people who are supposed to know the facts, so they can report them to the rest of us who don't have their special contacts and sources. Yet they are spewing the same falsehoods that the usual non-media fanatics dwell on!

It's kind of like Home Depot getting in a shipment of white paint... and the media then reporting that they would never sell green paint again, unless that very truck takes its white paint back to the factory right this second, and loads up with green. Without asking if HD had green paint on the shelves already, or if other shipments were bringing green, red, brown, and blue.

Pretty incredible. Is the entire nation being treated to this false "reporting" from the Obama-sycophant media?

Are we all being lead down the garden path so obviously?

Are the Democrats even working on a bill to provide funding for Obamacare?

Or are they relying on this astonishing barrage of BS, to pretend that Republicans have somehow prevented them from doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Naturally we have to pass it to see what's in it. Why read it first?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
The Democrats in the Senate passed the spending bill the House sent to them, with just one modification. But it, too, "funded everything." If that's really all the GOP wanted, why didn't the House just pass it and send it back?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
SEC. 137. (a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any
22 other provision of law, no Federal funds shall be made
23 available to carry out any provisions of the Patient Protec-
24 tion and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111–148) or
25 title I and subtitle B of title II of the Health Care and
Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (Public Law 111–
2 152), or of the amendments made by either such Act.
3 (b) LIMITATION.—No entitlement to benefits under
4 any provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable
5 Care Act (Public Law 111–148) or title I and subtitle B
6 of title II of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation
7 Act of 2010 (Public Law 111–152), or the amendments
8 made by either such Act, shall remain in effect on and
9 after the date of the enactment of this joint resolution,
10 nor shall any payment be awarded, owed, or made to any
11 State, District, or territory under any such provision.
Did YOU even read your own link?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Democrats in the Senate passed the spending bill the House sent to them, with just one modification. But it, too, "funded everything." If that's really all the GOP wanted, why didn't the House just pass it and send it back?
I hope the pubs force Obamacare to be passed as written, the full legal incarnation. They should strip out all the waivers and force the dems to own it as they passed it.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Hey, they are just doing as the little dictator tells them or the IRS will come after them.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
The republican controlled house has compromised twice.
The democrat controlled senate won't budge.

Who is really trying and who really wants a shutdown?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

But since then, I've been hearing liberals (in and out of the media) screamig their heads off, that the bill was outrageous. Diabolical. It prevented funding of Obamacare. The Senate would soon take it and "strip out the parts that defund Obamacare!"

Ummm, except there weren't any parts IN it, that defunded Obamacare or anything else. Obamacare (or the ACA or anything similar) was never mentioned, anywhere in the bill. The bill simply named everything that was funded last year, and said it was hereby funded this next year too. Find it here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...3hjres59eh.pdf
Many thanks for the link!

I tried, and I couldn't find this bill. My hat is off to you!

That said .... Obamacare wasn't mentioned at all? Or ACA or anything similar? Did you look for the full title of the legislation .... the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act?

I didn't think so.
SEC. 137. (a) IN GENERAL.— Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no Federal funds shall be made available to carry out any provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act .....
Whoops!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That is a constitutionally sound provision.

The limited powers of Congress do not allow the federal government to take over the 5th largest economic sector in the republic, and per the tenth amendment, such a power is in the domain of the states or the people.

If the Dems want Obamacare funded, let the several states decide whether to do so.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Darn it - you copied and pasted faster than I could!

Yeah, it's obvious the complete bill was not read, or if it was, it was not completely understood. The GOP came up with a bill that funds the government, but it was anything BUT a "clean" bill. It's just their latest cowardly attempt to remove a law ... something that was passed by both the House and Senate, was signed by the President, and was found to be constitutional by the Supreme Court.

And I say "cowardly" because the GOP has to try and hide it, buried in a bill that would otherwise likely be approved across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies