Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think the NWS should be privatized. It should be funded by fees paid by those who use its services. Weather doesn't have much to do with governing in my opinion.
Yeah, in what possible way can hurricane warnings ever be considered part of promoting the general welfare? Proper libertarians launch their own weather satellites, dammit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Just remember each one of those people not earning a paycheck are the same people that shop at local businesses near you, buy houses, buy cars, and pay local taxes that support your schools, police officers, and fire departments.
Don't forget they also get subsidized healthcare via US.

Gee, where was that concern when the middle was under attack in the last 5 years?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
It's the federal government executives (not managers but the bigwigs in DC and heads of area offices) being declared "essential" that I never got. If your employees are not working, the public is not allowed inside your building and because you can't pay any bills what the heck do you do that's so essential when the government is shutdown and has no budget?

We all know you don't know where the plug is for the photocopy machine...

Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's the federal government executives (not managers but the bigwigs in DC and heads of area offices) being declared "essential" that I never got. If your employees are not working, the public is not allowed inside your building and because you can't pay any bills what the heck do you do that's so essential when the government is shutdown and has no budget?

We all know you don't know where the plug is for the photocopy machine...
I do agree... NWS management and NOAA management is quite bloated and the rules are so insane. Our local office has to buy from only the GSA or their approved vendors for things like paper, pencils, pens, small stuff. We used to be able for a few years to go to Office Depot or the like and buy it there in our local town where it was cheaper. But that was put to a halt in the mid part of the last decade.

Just very odd rules on purchasing....thankfully I dont have to do that part but our ASA has fun going thru the paperwork process. There are ways to make it easier and less bloated but many folks are in it too deep to know. I personally am for a smaller government in many ways even in NWS operations.....I think we have about the right personnel but the ability to do things to help us at work better can be so convoluted and take so long to accomplish and get approval it is crazy.

For example, this week with all leave cancelled....we have extra bodies in on the daytime hours that would normally be out of the office or on other shifts. But yet we cannot take advantage of these extra bodies and do office seminars or the like and can only do approved before hand training that has to have 48 hr notice. Doesnt make sense to us operational folks. The disconnect in our agency between the high levels in DC and the field has never been greater IMO.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
I think bringing up the topic of essential or nonessential in a political forum will result in braindead partisan responses. I think we should have shut the whole damn thing down. Military, NWS, NSA, etc. Partial shutdowns just get people into stupid pissing matches that are unfair for the federal employees. They get used as pawns for idiots like Ted Cruz to make a point. You want to shut down the fvcking government? Shut it ALL down, and see where that puts you. No social security checks, no medicare,etc. People would come to Jesus REAL fast.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 10-07-2013 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think bringing up the topic of essential or nonessential in a political forum will result in braindead partisan responses. I think we should have shut the whole damn thing down. Military, NWS, NSA, etc. Partial shutdowns just get people into stupid pissing matches that are unfair the federal employees. They get used as pawns for idiots like Ted Cruz to make a point. You want to shut down the fvcking government? Shut it ALL down, and see where that puts you. No social security checks, no medicare,etc. People would come to Jesus REAL fast.
right

Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
I am still surviving. How about you guys?
I'm surviving. If it effected anyone they need to find another job. that's right, in the Obama economy full time jobs are hard to come by. Get 2 part time jobs!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm surviving. If it effected anyone they need to find another job. that's right, in the Obama economy full time jobs are hard to come by. Get 2 part time jobs!
I hate to inject facts in such a nice diatribe, but the trend towards part time jobs took off before President Obama took office and the trend is currently downwards, not upwards:

The Trend Toward Part-Time Employment: A Closer Look

Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Federally mandated purpose. No chance this would ever work without the government. It's amazing that humans survived up until the NWS.

I don't buy into it. It's a drop in the bucket of government waste and not really worth a big discussion.
Actually humans didn't survive. Catastrophic weather events killed a lot of people who would have survived if they had warning.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
It's common on all jobs. Once when there was a hurricane, most employees were off a few days but essential employees had to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies