Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM

653 posts, read 817,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am all for it, that is about where minimum wage should be set at these days in the US.
: smack:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
All I can say is wow...and I usually vote liberal. Wow. 15/hr?! Can you imagine what they would do for so many shops and grocery stores, especially those that are locally owned? To have their costs increases by 20% or more in an already expensive tax city?

All this would do is hurt the middle class and the lower class, as costs would just be hyper inflates because of it. Actually, the middle class would be hurt the worst because they would likely see no raise but a raise in prices.

This is seriously ridiculous.
If the minimum wage had kept pace with the rate of inflation, it would be over $15 an hour already. If it had kept up with increases in worker productivity, it would be even higher. Real wages have been declining in real terms for more than 3 decades. I am sick about hearing how tough businesses have it. They've been pocketing virtually all worker productivity gains for more than a generation. Something needs to change.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
If the minimum wage had kept pace with the rate of inflation, it would be over $15 an hour already. If it had kept up with increases in worker productivity, it would be even higher. Real wages have been declining in real terms for more 3 decades. I am sick about hearing how tough businesses have it. They've been pocketing virtually all worker productivity gains for more than a generation. Something needs to change.
Wages are tied heavily to supply and demand though, and less on the value of the dollar. Worker productivity is heavily related to technology, so that's already accounted for. Because there are a high number of unemployeds, beggars can't be choosers.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Wages are tied heavily to supply and demand though, and less on the value of the dollar. Worker productivity is heavily related to technology, so that's already accounted for. Because there are a high number of unemployeds, beggars can't be choosers.
And that is why we have things like a minimum wage so that employers can't take full advantage of people seeking a job.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
your crystall ball must be from some leftist college professors office because if you really new anything about the minimum wage, it was never meant to be a living wage but an entry level wage for people starting out in the work force.
Where are all the manufacturing jobs that people started working at after they did their stint in the entry level world?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
And that is why we have things like a minimum wage so that employers can't take full advantage of people seeking a job.
LOL!!!

Please, I hope you are not serious. Raising minimum wage arbitrarily is no different from printing money.

$5 a loaf of bread = $1 profit + $2 material cost + $2 labor.

Assuming the current minimum wage is $10, then adding 50% increase to $15 would be like this:

$1 profit + $2 material cost + $3 labor = $6 a loaf of bread.

The $2 material cost may also go up as the minimum wage for people producing all the materials must also be raised, making the bread even more expensive.

$1 profit + $3 material cost + $3 labor = $7 a loaf of bread.

Since now the company making the bread must allocate a lot more money to cover increased material cost and labor, they need to maintain at least the same level of profit, so the calculation would go:

$1.5 profit + $3 material cost + $3 labor = $7.5 a loaf of bread.

You can't afford $5 bread with $10/hour wage, can you afford a $7.5 bread with $15/hour wage?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-25-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL!!!

Please, I hope you are not serious. Raising minimum wage arbitrarily is no different from printing money.

$5 a loaf of bread = $1 profit + $2 material cost + $2 labor.

Assuming the current minimum wage is $10, then adding 50% increase to $15 would be like this:

$1 profit + $2 material cost + $3 labor = $6 a loaf of bread.

The $2 material cost may also go up as the minimum wage for people producing all the materials must also be raised, making the bread even more expensive.

$1 profit + $3 material cost + $3 labor = $7 a loaf of bread.

Since now the company making the bread must allocate a lot more money to cover increased material cost and labor, they need to maintain at least the same level of profit, so the calculation would go:

$1.5 profit + $3 material cost + $3 labor = $7.5 a loaf of bread.

You can't afford $5 bread with $10/hour wage, can you afford a $7.5 bread with $15/hour wage?
If it costs a bread company $2 to make a loaf of bread, they have bigger problems than the cost of employees. Also if you are only making a dollar in profit from a loaf of bread before raise increases, then you are really doing a poor job running a business while trying to blame it on the employees.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
If it costs a bread company $2 to make a loaf of bread, they have bigger problems than the cost of employees. Also if you are only making a dollar in profit from a loaf of bread before raise increases, then you are really doing a poor job running a business while trying to blame it on the employees.
Can't you tell that is just an example to show you why raising minimum wage is stupid?

And for those who don't understand that, may be that is why they are making minimum wage? Can't we work on that first?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can't you tell that is just an example to show you why raising minimum wage is stupid?

And for those who don't understand that, may be that is why they are making minimum wage? Can't we work on that first?
I am just pointing out that if your product has such a high cost to make with a low profit turnout, then you are doing something wrong and is basically a business that is in the works to go under.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Do I know you personally? I was asking specifically where you have lived either in each city or outside of each city. And while your personal experiences do mean something to you, I would prefer to look at factual information based on the cost of living to compare the two cities. I don't need to live there to understand that information.
If you want to look at factual information, then you can look at some Forbes magazine articles that were written just as I was leaving Seattle. Despite what some people think, LA, Frisco, NY, and other cities did NOT make it to #1 as the most expensive city to live in.

Seattle did. In 2005, Seattle was ranked #1 overpriced city by Forbes. Miami was #12. That was when I got to Miami, finally, after leaving Seattle, so my observations are correct, despite what you may think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies