Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I helped my father in two businesses from the time I was in 8th grade until graduating college. My wife runs her own business as well as part owner in 3 corporations with her sisters. My brother-in-law runs his own business as well as being a CPA. I have a little more experience outside of a textbook.

It can't be just Wal-Mart. Once corp taxes are eliminated, that will allow Target to drop prices below Wal-Mart. Kroger will drop prices as well. Producers will also see an advantage and pass along the savings. Samsung will be able to undercut Vizio's prices on flat TVs.

They are one of many problems. That's just the topic of this thread.
But it doesn't work that way, no matter how many times you say it. They only drop prices to undercut their competition. If their competition puts all the additional revenue into profits for their shareholders, then Target and Kroger will do the same thing. There is no incentive to cut prices to consumers. That's where you are living in a fantasy world but keep parroting the same textbook clichés. When you are talking about businesses of this size, your textbook corner banana stand mantra often don't apply.

I'm very impressed with your business experience. I've been working in private industry in finance for over 15 years....so what the heck does any of that have to do with huge corporations and taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The .gov IS distributing it how it wants. Is it legal? No. Where does it get the power to run a welfare state? The enumerated powers are listed below.

Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution - Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; \

There's this general welfare thing.

It also doesn't say anything about finanancing rocket ships to fly into space and about a billion other things that a bunch of 18 century dudes couldn't forsee.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
Crazy how all these nations richer, smarter, healthier, and happier than us have way more "parasites"...

Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
General welfare of the United States, not of individuals. That's always where the mistake is made. It's a reading comprehension failure.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, your position is that 95% of U.S. tax filers are receiving government welfare. Got it.
All you have to do to back up your bold talk is quote my post where I wrote that. Otherwise, you're just making up nonsense, which is what the right's been doing for quite awhile now. Maybe you boys really do believe your own BS.

Just makes you look all the dumber, though.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
All you have to do to back up your bold talk is quote my post where I wrote that.
You said the article explained it. The article stated... "...when the government provides a narrow exemption from general tax obligations it essentially is writing a check" in the context that doing so was considered welfare.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

It also doesn't say anything about finanancing rocket ships to fly into space and about a billion other things that a bunch of 18 century dudes couldn't forsee.
Then where were items like post roads listed? Without enumerated powers, what constraints are placed on the federal government? Right now there are none.

And you are correct, NASA as its own department is unconstitutional.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
There's a lot of GOP parasites who enjoy taking large sums of subsidies, yet also think food stamps are just a bridge too far. Pathetic parasites.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
General welfare of the United States, not of individuals. That's always where the mistake is made. It's a reading comprehension failure.
So the citizens of the United States, no, but the "United States" as some theoretical entity, that's what it means?

...and you're being serious?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Then where were items like post roads listed? Without enumerated powers, what constraints are placed on the federal government? Right now there are none.

And you are correct, NASA as its own department is unconstitutional.
Those are what those "elected representatives" are for.

Just because you don't like how the constitution has been interpreted doesn't mean there is something inherently evil or illegal about that interpretation..you just don't like it.

You're free to continue voting in tea party nuts who want to blow up the whole system. Hopefully and most likely, cooler heads will prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies