Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 AM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

It's a Christian religious holiday. If I as a Christian can't say Merry Christmas during that time then there is no reason to even have the holiday. What's a Happy Holiday? What does that stand for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
The only people here who seem to be offended about anything appear to be christians, butthurt because their preferred greeting isn't being used by everyone.
IMO, if you are not a Christian and don't believe in why we have a Christmas then don't celebrate it and don't say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas because that isn't what Christmas means/is.

Just because atheists and non-Christians get a day off also and celebrate it in a commercial manner or an opportunity to party should not be a reason to call it something it isn't.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
For me, I say happy holidays or merry christmas... But here is what is going to make liberals mad, people are going to equate happy holidays = merry christmas, then the liberals would want to ban the terms "happy holidays"... hahahaha...

Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
No, I do not and I cannot believe we have a thread on this so early. Wonder how many more will be created when O'Reilly drags out the old 'war on Christmas'? Coming soon.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's a Christian religious holiday. If I as a Christian can't say Merry Christmas during that time then there is no reason to even have the holiday. What's a Happy Holiday? What does that stand for?

If you would just look back a few posts...

Quote:
In December alone, there is Chanukkah (Judaism), Bodhi Day and associated festivals (Buddhism), Panacha Ganapathi (Hinduism), Winter Solstice, Yule, Kwanzaa, Hogamany (my favorite), Boxing Day, and New Year's Eve, not to mention Advent, St. Lucia's Day, and Christmas itself on the Christian front. Christmas to me is using Pagan traditions to celebrate a false Messiah, but I let you do it.

But your people haven't always shown me the same respect. In the 1990s (not 1950s - 90s), we had a cross burned on our lawn. At various times, we had a rock thrown through a window displaying a menorah, and various other overt forms of violence and discrimination because my parents dared tell my brother and I to be proud of being Jewish. When was the last time you had to think long and hard about if you wanted to display your Christmas tree because you're afraid that's going to make your house a target for religious-based violence and vandalism? Never? Right. So please stop complaining.

The only people who ever "correct" me when I say Happy Holidays are Christians. It's not political pressure making me say it - it's simply a fact. There are many holidays in that period, and Christmas is perhaps the least important to me of those holidays. If I know someone is Christian, only then is "Merry Christmas" appropriate, and only ON Christmas.
What does Merry Christmas stand for? To me, it stands for "Let's be blasphemous and use a Pagan holiday to celebrate a false Messiah!" day. To you, it means something else, just like my Chanukkah means nothing to you. Just because you don't celebrate any of the many other holidays in December does not mean they don't exist. Merry Christmas is appropriate on or just before Christmas to known Christians. It makes no sense as a universal greeting on December 1 - 23.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Happy hoilday is a greeting used by those as a seasonal greeting. I may see some one around thanksgiving but will not see them at Chrismas or New Years..so I simply wish them a fun, and happy holiday season.

this is not rocket science...it a greeting and a wish to all those durring the holiday season.

If an employer wants his employees, to say Happy Holidays..that is his business...literally.

If someone does not want to go along with the program, there are other employment options. It s no different if an employer is open on sunday and a employee has to make the decision as to accept the job and work on sunday or not.

We all have to make choices.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times
Quote:
I asked another poster this a while back, never got an answer. Let me ask you.
Has anyone actually told you that you can't say Merry Christmas?

As I said before, I grew up in an area with a lower % of Christians than most places in this country and I never got any flack for saying Merry Christmas, at work, at school or anywhere else.

As for "What's a Happy Holiday?" Yesterday I wished someone a Happy Halloween. Halloween is a holiday, New Years is a holiday, Thanksgiving is a holiday, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, Hogamany, Boxing Day, CHRISTMAS etc. They are all holidays. "Happy Holidays" is a perfectly fine greeting, not sure why anyone would be offended by it.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:35 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Do you feel obligated to say "happy holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"

Of course not. I love the holiday season with its bright lights, family gatherings and spirit of good will. Even though I'm not a believer, I'll say merry christmas as often as happy holidays or any other seasonal greeting, but mostly by reflex. The midwinter holiday has a history that stretches back long before Christianity tried to claim it as its own.

I think it's a shame that some hypersensitive insecure folks try to portray any celebrations not totally in line with theirs as a fantasy war on their own. They should cheer up and have a nice hot toddy.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you would just look back a few posts...

What does Merry Christmas stand for? To me, it stands for "Let's be blasphemous and use a Pagan holiday to celebrate a false Messiah!" day. To you, it means something else, just like my Chanukkah means nothing to you. Just because you don't celebrate any of the many other holidays in December does not mean they don't exist. Merry Christmas is appropriate on or just before Christmas to known Christians. It makes no sense as a universal greeting on December 1 - 23.
That is merely your opinion. That is not why Christians celebrate Christmas. False Messiah? Again, merely your opinion.

I don't get a day off to celebrate non-Christian holidays and I don't use some revisionist terminology to greet those who do. Their celebrations are not a part of my religious beliefs so I just don't say anything but I certainly don't begrudge them from celebrating their holidays and using the terminology that they like.

It is businesses that have promoted Christmas for more than one day. It's all about the money to them.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I asked another poster this a while back, never got an answer. Let me ask you.
Has anyone actually told you that you can't say Merry Christmas?

As I said before, I grew up in an area with a lower % of Christians than most places in this country and I never got any flack for saying Merry Christmas, at work, at school or anywhere else.

As for "What's a Happy Holiday?" Yesterday I wished someone a Happy Halloween. Halloween is a holiday, New Years is a holiday, Thanksgiving is a holiday, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, Hogamany, Boxing Day, CHRISTMAS etc. They are all holidays. "Happy Holidays" is a perfectly fine greeting, not sure why anyone would be offended by it.
Some believe they speak for all 'persecuted".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies