Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:58 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
As late as 1963, the top marginal tax rate was 90%.

Strangely, we were still able to maintain a growing economy, one of the highest standards of living in the world and a sizable military force, befitting our status as a world superpower.

Oh, yes, and we were in the midst of building the Interstate Highway System. These days, we don't even seem to be able to maintain it properly, so good thing we built it with those sky-high tax rates.
I did some research on marginal tax rates several months back. I dont have my tabulation handy, but if I recall correctly, that highest marginal rate was 97% and I dont recall how many brackets there were. Kennedy lowered the highest marginal rate to something like 70% and then Reagan lowered it to 50% effective 1982 IIRC. Bush lowered the highest marginal rate to 36% and cut the number of brackets to three.

Obama wanted to raise the highest marginal rate to 39% and oh how those conservatives whined!

My question has been the same as your. If the prosperity of the 50's could happen with a maximum marginal rate of 97%, why all the whining about how business will be harmed if it goes from 36% to 39%?

One thing that happens with high marginal rates is that business owners are more likely to keep money in their businesses rather than withdraw it as salary and/or bonus. As rates decline, owners will take out more for themselves and leave less in the business. Proof of this may be inferred from the following:

In 1980, the average compensation of the highest paid person in the company earned a factor of 40 over the compensation of the lowest paid person. Today that ratio is more like 200 to one.

It may be that the study I recall talked of Fortune 500 CEO's. I'll have to look that up. But the point is that there is a direct relationship between marginal tax rates and business owner compensation - high marginal rates, lower the ratio, and visa versa (negative correlation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I did some research on marginal tax rates several months back. I dont have my tabulation handy, but if I recall correctly, that highest marginal rate was 97% and I dont recall how many brackets there were. Kennedy lowered the highest marginal rate to something like 70% and then Reagan lowered it to 50% effective 1982 IIRC. Bush lowered the highest marginal rate to 36% and cut the number of brackets to three.
No, you really didn't do ANY research. Because if you had, those tax rates were implemented to SLOW THE ECONOMY. Yes, they were specifically created to smack the economy down, to slow economic activity.

Quote:
Obama wanted to raise the highest marginal rate to 39% and oh how those conservatives whined!
What possible benefit would it be?

Quote:
My question has been the same as your. If the prosperity of the 50's could happen with a maximum marginal rate of 97%, why all the whining about how business will be harmed if it goes from 36% to 39%?
Your question is irrelevant. IF all the conditions of the 50's were the same, with the ONLY difference being marginal tax rates, then you may have some point. But, nothing is the same, and the effective tax rates, due the extremely convoluted tax code filled with breaks, write-offs, and shelters were actually far less than today.

Quote:
One thing that happens with high marginal rates is that business owners are more likely to keep money in their businesses rather than withdraw it as salary and/or bonus. As rates decline, owners will take out more for themselves and leave less in the business. Proof of this may be inferred from the following:
This is pure hogwash. Start your own small business and risk everything you have to get it off the ground, then return and tell me about the virtues of taxing your business.

Quote:
In 1980, the average compensation of the highest paid person in the company earned a factor of 40 over the compensation of the lowest paid person. Today that ratio is more like 200 to one.
Irrelevant, in all aspects, to all matters and in all ways.

Quote:
It may be that the study I recall talked of Fortune 500 CEO's. I'll have to look that up. But the point is that there is a direct relationship between marginal tax rates and business owner compensation - high marginal rates, lower the ratio, and visa versa (negative correlation).
You conflate pointless and meaningless trivial numbers with reality.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
As late as 1963, the top marginal tax rate was 90%.

Strangely, we were still able to maintain a growing economy, one of the highest standards of living in the world and a sizable military force, befitting our status as a world superpower.

Oh, yes, and we were in the midst of building the Interstate Highway System. These days, we don't even seem to be able to maintain it properly, so good thing we built it with those sky-high tax rates.
No one was actually paying 90% of their income for taxes.

There were numerous deductions allowed.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
If the prosperity of the 50's could happen with a maximum marginal rate of 97%, why all the whining about how business will be harmed if it goes from 36% to 39%?
Because most of those rich guys with the 90+ percent tax rates actually paid no taxes at all. Loopholes were specifically designed for them by lawmakers.

They eliminated some of the loopholes when they lowered the rates.

You don't think FDR was really taxing others of his class at that rate do you?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Social mobility
Education
Unemployment
Quality of life
Economy
Crime
Wealth
Etc.

I can certainly make arguments that is not the case for many of those things and trying to correlate that with tax rates becomes problematic.Goverment spending is factor but it's not the only factor and probably not the major factor for many of them. For example you mention education but the US is one of the top spenders if not the top spender in education, how does that fit in?

Quote:
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system — more than any other nation covered in the report.
That sum inched past some developed countries and far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:31 AM

27,158 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Because they aren't.

Top tax rate and applicable income level:
USA: 39.6%, $400K USD
Australia: 45%, $180,001 AUD
UK: 50%, £150,000 Brit. Pound
Germany: 42%, €52,882 - €250,730; 45%, €250,731 Euro
Belgium: 53.5%, €37,330 Euro
Italy: 43%, €75,001

Canada: 29%, $135,000 plus about 14% in provincial taxes.
Canadian income tax rates for Individuals - current and previous years

By comparison to other Nations makes them not too high?

Showing them to be more extreme does not change a thing.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Because they aren't.

Because some of us don't believe in a welfare state where some work so others can mooch. Some of us believe that those who work should....gasp...actually be rewarded for working instead of penalized by taking away what they earned.

And as my mother used to say "If everyone jumped off a cliff, would you?". I don't care what taxes are in other countries. That's their business. I care what portion of my income I get to keep and it's not enough. That they pay more is their problem to deal with. My fight is keeping enough of my income so I can live off of it without government hand outs.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
thus demonstrating yet another reason liberalism is not taken seriously by adults.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:52 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:
Because they aren't.

Is that chart considering ALL taxes, or just income tax rates?
If it is not showing ALL taxes, why not?
What about the "hidden taxes" that most people aren't even aware they are paying? There is a hidden tax on a loaf of bread! A long time ago, I had a list of all the hidden taxes we pay every day, but I lost it long ago. This will give you some idea:
Hidden tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Is that chart considering ALL taxes, or just income tax rates?
If it is not showing ALL taxes, why not?
What about the "hidden taxes" that most people aren't even aware they are paying? There is a hidden tax on a loaf of bread! A long time ago, I had a list of all the hidden taxes we pay every day, but I lost it long ago. This will give you some idea:
Hidden tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't really have a way to break up hidden taxes by consumption level or income level. However, here are the tax rates compared to GDP and even using that as a metric we are a low tax country.

How do US taxes compare internationally?

We are in 53rd place when you exclude sales and capital gains (which are quite low in comparison).

America Tax Rates [CHARTS] - Business Insider

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies