Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,719,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Amazing humanity survived this long without handouts. God I can't wait until these things go down for good.
Me, too.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM

6,146 posts, read 8,029,077 times
Comparing hungry adults and children to wild animals and calling it irony is a sad reflection on your level of humanity.

Quote:
2 Thessalonians 3:10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
Nice try, but Paul is exhorting early Christians against laziness and weariness and a loss of faith in the face of persecution by non Christians. In no way is he speaking against charity.

Want to quote the bible? How about Matthew 25:31-46...

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,289,401 times
What stupid remarks, about "children going hungry" It is the 12th of the month. Nobody, in the middle of the month, waits until their children are crying for food and wasting away before they drive to the grocery store. The only time children cry for food is then they run out of pop tarts. There is enough sustenance in the house to tide the kids over for another day or two.

The computer strikes again. This never happened when people received a booklet of stamps in the mail and the grocer tore the stamps out to pay for the food. The Brave New World stalks the land.

Of course, this thread quickly degenerated in the the Libertarians and Conservatives screaming "Let them eat Cake (like we do)".

Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,606,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Comparing hungry adults and children to wild animals and calling it irony is a sad reflection on your level of humanity.
True; it's unfair to the wild animals who when hungry, will go out and get their own food instead of waiting for it to be handed to them.

Quote:
Nice try, but Paul is exhorting early Christians against laziness and weariness and a loss of faith in the face of persecution by non Christians. In no way is he speaking against charity

The early Christians were effectively communal and very sensitive to the pressures of freeloaders, which they had an abundance of. Read your history for context.

Quote:
Want to quote the bible? How about Matthew 25:31-46...

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Perhaps my vision is failing me, but I am not seeing the part when where Jesus than demands all be taxed for a woefully inefficient and widely abused federal redistributionist program that rewards laziness so morbidly obese "poor" people who look like they're one insulin shot away from death can get free liquor and nachos.

Edited out at the Council of Nicea?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,703,814 times
Here's the thing . . . yeah, children might be hungry b/c their crackhead out-of-work generational poverty parent(s) aren't providing for them . . . but it isn't THOSE CHILDREN'S FAULT. They should not be punished b/c the person who birthed them doesn't give a flip about their welfare.

The choices are . . . take children out of the home or give their guardian some food assistance (and provide food at school).

We don't have enough foster families to handle the children who are left behind when both parents are incapable, one is in jail (or both) . . . one is mentally ill . . . druggies . . . etc. And the state pays for foster care, so the money is going to be spent, one way or the other.

So what are we, as a society, to do? As others have said . . . we just let children starve to death?

And then there are the working poor who are doing everything they know how to do to pay their bills and feed their family, but they can't get but so far on minimum wage. So are we going to just lump all people who are struggling into a big ole pool and cut them all off? The irresponsible ones along with the people who are desperately trying to keep a shelter over their heads?

To me, we have no choice but do whatever we have to do to take care of children, even if their parents are irresponsible. And we can't just lump everyone into a category and shame them, either! Yes, there is fraud! Some people are out to get everything they can handed to them. But that doesn't mean the folks who genuinely need some assistance should be stereotyped.

There is no easy way to deal with poverty and hunger. But it is just plain wrong to let children suffer.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
True; it's unfair to the wild animals who when hungry, will go out and get their own food instead of waiting for it to be handed to them.

The early Christians were effectively communal and very sensitive to the pressures of freeloaders, which they had an abundance of. Read your history for context.

Perhaps my vision is failing me, but I am not seeing the part when where Jesus than demands all be taxed for a woefully inefficient and widely abused federal redistributionist program that rewards laziness so morbidly obese "poor" people who look like they're one insulin shot away from death can get free liquor and nachos.

Edited out at the Council of Nicea?

If you are seriously going to try to use Jesus to support your original screed, which implied you'd like to see assistance programs end forever, then there's no point in trying to contradict your absurdity.

Now, however, you seem to have changed your tune somewhat to be railing against abuse and inefficiency. That's something most people, myself included, would probably agree with you on. That, however, did not appear to be the point of your first post. Or your second one.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here's the thing . . . yeah, children might be hungry b/c their crackhead out-of-work generational poverty parent(s) aren't providing for them . . . but it isn't THOSE CHILDREN'S FAULT. They should not be punished b/c the person who birthed them doesn't give a flip about their welfare.

The choices are . . . take children out of the home or give their guardian some food assistance (and provide food at school).

We don't have enough foster families to handle the children who are left behind when both parents are incapable, one is in jail (or both) . . . one is mentally ill . . . druggies . . . etc. And the state pays for foster care, so the money is going to be spent, one way or the other.

So what are we, as a society, to do? As others have said . . . we just let children starve to death?

And then there are the working poor who are doing everything they know how to do to pay their bills and feed their family, but they can't get but so far on minimum wage. So are we going to just lump all people who are struggling into a big ole pool and cut them all off? The irresponsible ones along with the people who are desperately trying to keep a shelter over their heads?

To me, we have no choice but do whatever we have to do to take care of children, even if their parents are irresponsible. And we can't just lump everyone into a category and shame them, either! Yes, there is fraud! Some people are out to get everything they can handed to them. But that doesn't mean the folks who genuinely need some assistance should be stereotyped.

There is no easy way to deal with poverty and hunger. But it is just plain wrong to let children suffer.
Well said.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,478,946 times
An yes...the sky is falling debt crisis...I really love the "pick and choose" mentality of this circus government, it is now rising to heights of complete absurdity.

Closing National Parks, was not good enough...not enough people felt any pain from this gesture of futility.

Canceling government travel, minor inconvenience....still not alarming enough...

But FOOD STAMPS!!!! No EBT!

Riot in the streets....oh, Congress will wonder why these people are rioting....why don't they just eat cake?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am unaware of mass famine of children in the US prior to the creation of food stamps. In any event, if you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Quote:
It's called a budget. If you know you make X, do not spend Y. I lived check to check with two small kids while working 1.5 jobs for awhile, and received not a cent from the government. If I can do it, so can anyone else.

Quote:
There absolutely should be a stigma associated with any form of welfare. At the very least they must not be allowed to vote while on the dole...the current fiscal situation of the US proves that. They can and do vote for whoever keeps the $ flowing in.

Quote:
And when the current generation of lil' crackheads breeds the next generation of lil' crackheads?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
If you are seriously going to try to use Jesus to support your original screed, which implied you'd like to see assistance programs end forever, then there's no point in trying to contradict your absurdity.

Now, however, you seem to have changed your tune somewhat to be railing against abuse and inefficiency. That's something most people, myself included, would probably agree with you on. That, however, did not appear to be the point of your first post. Or your second one.
No, abuse and inefficiency are part of the problem, the problem is ingrained intergenerational dependence which can only be cured by eliminating the program entirely.

Humanity survived without it, imagine that.

My ancestors lived in a cold water lower walk up (which would be illegal these days) east side tenement and frequently dinner was a boiled cabbage split five ways. Throw in an egg if lucky. All lived. All three of their kids learned English and went on to middle to upper middle class productive lives.

Now that doesn't happen anymore, and why should it?

Everything is handed to you. No rent (section 8), no food bills (EBT), no doctors bills (Medicaid) no utilities (myriad relief programs exist) no phone bill (Lifeline); it goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies