Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
When are people going to wake up and see what the reality is. this is ALL by design. Obama said in 2008 when running for office that our living standard must come down so others in other countries could come up. He and Soros both called it a "Managed Decline". It's ALL about globalism which is what Progressives are.
Hearsay and half-truths are not facts.

I cannot find anything that attributes a statement about "managed decline" to Obama. The consensus seems to indicate the term originated with the extreme right.

Eric Laursen: The Truth Behind "Managed Decline"

During a 2009 interview with the Financial Times, Soros said "An orderly decline of the dollar is actually desirable to boost exports and compensate for decreased consumer spending".

Old 10-17-2013, 11:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yep, the Senate Republicans got themselves some nice pork as a reward for disciplining the unruly schoolboys forming the House Republicans. So adorable when Republicans claim to be fiscally responsible...
Did you notice the pork laced Immigration reform Bill that does very little to address the actual problems with our immigration system? You might have noticed the pork was heaped on from both sides.
It is so adorable when both parties lecture one another on fiscal responsibility when neither has any.
It is so adorable when our President makes a habit out of misrepresenting facts to sell bad bills to the american public. Tell me. What makes him any different than a crooked car dealer?
In 5 years when my wife and I move to Thailand we will be quite secure. The taxes in Thailand are more reasonable and you can't beat the beaches.
Unlike the United States they have affordable health care and it is on par with what we have to offer. Thailand has their own problems but somehow manage not to play world cop. They manage not to punish success and guess what no one there is telling me that I owe anything to people who wont even try to help themselves.
I love my country and I bled for her. I am proud to have served. I don't love DC or the Democrats or the Republicans. I honestly don't owe either party a damned thing. Those 2 parties more than anything make me want to leave. They are an embarrassment.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
People work because they are rewarded with a paycheck and they can buy what they need. Obama is rewarding the people who don't want to work. Like I said, if that is what he wants stop working and you will still get everything you need. Then when no one is there producing it or supplying it we can figure that out when the time comes.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsumCement View Post
90 days and counting.... We get to do this all over again!!
You'd get to do it over and over and over again anyway, until the spending problem comes under control.

Just think...at present rates, the US National Debt will be greater than 1/3 of the entire World's GDP.

Dropping...

Mircea

Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You'd get to do it over and over and over again anyway, until the spending problem comes under control.

Just think...at present rates, the US National Debt will be greater than 1/3 of the entire World's GDP.

Dropping...

Mircea
Now Obama and his liberal cohorts want to actually eliminate the debt ceiling so there would be no limits of any kind for their big spending frenzy, they are the most irresponsible leaders the world has ever seen.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsumCement View Post
Like last time our credit rating got dropped, the government blamed it on a shutdown.

The Credit Agency blamed it on excessive spending.

We have not curtained the spending and our credit rating is going to be lowered once again.
Reid put 3 billion in pork when it was sent to the house and it passed.

90 days and counting.... We get to do this all over again!!
We need to raise the debt ceiling up to 2016 CBO projections and attempt to cut from there to prevent us from reaching that limit.. Our economy will never grow at a continuous rate with these boom burst cycles. One thing about this shutdown is that our deficits probably fell even further because of it, and I think it helped certain states realize they don't need the federal government as much as they thought and vice-versa, I'm hoping Maryland realizes we need to get off our need for the federal government to prosper.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:43 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Bingo. If you want to know what it will be like - think Walmart last weekend.
Yep. As soon as they realize it will cost them money up front (the subsidies are refundable tax credits, NOT government contributions to monthly premiums), they'll avoid buying insurance like the plague.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
One thing about this shutdown is that our deficits probably fell even further because of it, and I think it helped certain states realize they don't need the federal government as much as they thought and vice-versa, I'm hoping Maryland realizes we need to get off our need for the federal government to prosper.
Wrong. One thing about the Sequester is that our deficits probably fell even further because of it... the Shutdown, not so much. That is why the Sequester continues but the Shutdown has been aressted... albeit temporarily. Our first ever Credit Rating Downgrade was in fact because of the brinksmanship over the averted shutdown. Ratings agencies were appalled at the level of partisan gridlock and hoped to send a message... that worked well. It failed, mostly because the main consequence of a credit downgrade: higher interest rates going forward, did not materialize in any meaningful fashion. Even though we have (temporarily) averted the worst of a combined Shutdown and Credit Default, it would be the height of optimism to think that there will not be a second, more serious, downgrade of our credit rating in the near future.

Now, what is this foolishness about the lack of need for Federal Govt.? Have you and I been on the same planet for the last two weeks? I don't know about you, but others, better placed others, than you and I, have seen just the opposite. They have seen what a train wreck takes place with just a couple of weeks without Federal Govt. And this was just a partial shutdown. The private sector cannot, and would not, be able to absorb the massive human wreckage of total privitization of the millions of Federal Jobs nationwide. It simply would not happen. It would be a bigger threat to National Security than any of the far fetched scenarios involving Middle Eastern dictatorships that obsess the NSA.

85% of the mouth-breathers reading these words would not be able to get another job, if the one they presently have was to go away. 85%. And I'm being kind. Obama rewarding the lazy? Really? I don't think so.

H

Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. As soon as they realize it will cost them money up front (the subsidies are refundable tax credits, NOT government contributions to monthly premiums), they'll avoid buying insurance like the plague.
The real problem is that they have to 'buy' anything at all. That is the Achilles Heel of American Style UHC. My MIL is British. She has had a run of bad health recently and has been in and out of hospitals. She would be looking at a quarter million or more if she lived here. Monthly premiums for her alone would be $300/mo. at least under Obamacare she will be able to find a carrier that will cover her. Before... not so much. My aunt developed a brain tumor 20 years after obtaining health insurance. 20 years of paying into Aetna and when she got sick they canceled her policy forthwith citing a 'pre-existing condition', and ran for the hills. They had to be sued to make them man up and pay for her treatments. Imagine that in addition to fighting for your life you also have to battle with an insurance giant like Aetna. Your lawyer will take half of what you win and the hospital takes the other half, and you are on the hook for everything not covered. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of uncovered expenses. And you have seizures for the rest of your life and ongoing expenses for medication (not covered). Obamacare solves none of this. Real UHC as exists in Europe and other First World economic realms, does. Real Universal Healthcare would also not involve premiums! GASP!!! What did he say??!! No premiums??!!! Why thats? Any healthcare scheme that aims to coerce healthy people to pay into it for nothing for years on end to pay for sick people so doctors and insurance companies can $$$$$$$. Sounds like something Republicans should like. And they would. If they'd thought of it. But they didn't. And that's why they hate it. No other reason. In our lifetime a Republican president will outline the framework of a national healthcare system that will not fundamentally differ from Obamacare. It will be adopted to great fanfare and acclaim. You heard it here first.

H

Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The real problem is that they have to 'buy' anything at all. That is the Achilles Heel of American Style UHC. My MIL is British. She has had a run of bad health recently and has been in and out of hospitals.
She also would have been paying much more in taxes to pay for that British UHC than Americans pay in the U.S.:

Are liberals ready to pay their fair share for the social services they want yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies