Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do yourself a favor. Go to the Berkley Evolution 101 site, and educate yourself on evolution. It's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.
This is a typical reply of someone who has no argument.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Natural selection is about selection, is it not? It assumes there where things, choices, to select from. Where did those things come from? Where did DNA come from.
No, natural selection is not about making choices.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sad that there are so many people in your country suffering from this delusion.

some more than others

Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
How nice it must be to live in a faith-based bubble... For something to be true simply because you want it to be, or believe it to be so.

For those of us who believe in science, the world is a much more complex place-- theories must have veracity and be supported by evidence. As much as you wish something to be true in the reality/science based world, has nothing do with whether it is true. Scientific discovery can rock the boat. It can change society and force societies to progress. Science can be threatening.

It must be so much easier simply to have faith-- even if you are dead wrong.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Quote:
" To think the eye had evolved by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree." - Charles Darwin.
He also said his theory was "grievously hypothetical".

And he admitted he could not explain why the fossil record did not support his theory.
Where'd you get that quote? I did a search, and the only hit was this thread. I suspect it's followed by something like "however . . .", that is if it isn't a complete fabrication. Not that it would matter. Evolutionary theory starts with Darwin, it doesn't end with Darwin. So to quote Darwin as the end all and be all is silly.

As for eyes, Creationists are wrong. At all points in the evolution of the eye, starting with a bit of light-sensitive skin, the proto-eye is useful. And there are creatures around today that have eyes that are not as evolved as ours and they prove useful.

For one theory to supplant another it has to explain everything the first theory does as well as answer the questions the first one can't. Creationism does neither.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
I stand corrected. The quotation's legitimate, and easy to find when one cuts out the superfluous space at the beginning. And the rest of the passage is as follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
“Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.”

Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
Natural selection is about selection, is it not? It assumes there where things, choices, to select from. Where did those things come from? Where did DNA come from.
RNA.

Any other questions? Abiogenesis is a fascinating subject.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No, natural selection is not about making choices.
I know what it is, and there is no such thing if nothing existed. Do you not understand this?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
For those of you so dearly believe in Evolution... Explain to me how the glycolysis cycle was accidentally created. There's no way to 'increment' to it. Remove ANY facet of it, and life ceases.

If you can, try to tell me that you honestly believe it was mere accident.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
I have tried to help you...The link I posted above will answer your questions...I'm guessing that you would rather ignore it, as you probably believe that evolution is the work of satan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies