Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Marriage should be a term to describe a religious arrangement, not a legal one. The word "marriage" shouldn't exist in the government lexicon. THAT is what people should be arguing for, not for government to get involved with something that has been a religious practice nearly forever.

Even after all that's happened in the past several years, and in that time, seeing how people are demanding that the government get involved in their very personal affairs, it still blows me away that people are fighting for the government to get even MORE involved. What are you thinking??? Get the government OUT of marriage, not more involved!

Civil contracts for all, and if you want a different label, find or start a church that will assign it to you.

The whole thing is stupid. I know that will offend some people, but I don't care. If you think about what I wrote, it's the only logical solution that will appease nearly everyone.

Remember, the goal here is compromise, not capitulation. I realize that with the current state of our political world, there are some who are demanding that full capitulation is the only acceptable solution, but calm down, use your head and THINK. You will NEVER - NEVER get someone who's a firm believer in religion to accept that it's ok for gay people to marry. NEVER. But that's what I'm seeing coming from the gay rights people. They are basically saying that they will accept nothing less than full capitulation, and that will never, ever happen. Not in your lifetime, nor that of your children, or of their children. Won't happen. So why not try and come up with something that everyone can agree is fair? And my proposal above is the only possible solution that fits that requirement. If you believe otherwise, feel free to DM me about it, as I won't likely return to this thread.
RE: First line I bolded: So I can assume that you would have no problem with my aunt and her partner, who are both Christian and are open in their church, getting married then?

RE Second line I bolded: I am a firm believer in God & Jesus Christ (not too big on religion, but that's another subject) and I believe without a shadow of a doubt that it's "ok for gay people to marry."

Sorry, but in a phrase that I'm sure has been repeated umpteen times on CD "your BELIEFS do not get to dictate the way others live"

Old 10-18-2013, 03:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,226,929 times
Urbanlife78 is pleased to know T-Rob123 supports equality and that Harrier seems to be lost in the concept that with states banning gay marriage means that states are getting in the way of people's rights. Urbanlife78 wishes Harrier would have a better understanding of this, but Urbanlife78 understands that it doesn't matter what Harrier thinks as long as the number of states that legalize gay marriage continue to grow so that government can get out of the way of marriage.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,833,000 times
Quote:
Marriage should be a term to describe a religious arrangement, not a legal one. The word "marriage" shouldn't exist in the government lexicon. THAT is what people should be arguing for, not for government to get involved with something that has been a religious practice nearly forever.

Even after all that's happened in the past several years, and in that time, seeing how people are demanding that the government get involved in their very personal affairs, it still blows me away that people are fighting for the government to get even MORE involved. What are you thinking??? Get the government OUT of marriage, not more involved!

Civil contracts for all, and if you want a different label, find or start a church that will assign it to you.

The whole thing is stupid. I know that will offend some people, but I don't care. If you think about what I wrote, it's the only logical solution that will appease nearly everyone.

Remember, the goal here is compromise, not capitulation. I realize that with the current state of our political world, there are some who are demanding that full capitulation is the only acceptable solution, but calm down, use your head and THINK. You will NEVER - NEVER get someone who's a firm believer in religion to accept that it's ok for gay people to marry. NEVER. But that's what I'm seeing coming from the gay rights people. They are basically saying that they will accept nothing less than full capitulation, and that will never, ever happen. Not in your lifetime, nor that of your children, or of their children. Won't happen. So why not try and come up with something that everyone can agree is fair? And my proposal above is the only possible solution that fits that requirement. If you believe otherwise, feel free to DM me about it, as I won't likely return to this thread.
Indeed.

The fact that you choose this thread in which to participate, the way you go on and on for four paragraphs, interspersed with italics and all-caps and underlinings and exclamation points and ???s, ranting about how you want the government to stop issuing marriage certificates to gays (on the pretext that you don't want them issued to anyone) is precisely what someone who really doesn't care at all about this issue would do.

Or something.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:54 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
They already had equality and so do gay people in the other 36 states.
No they don't, buddy, no they don't.

Or do the 1000+ benefits and programs they aren't allowed access to in regards to marriage not count?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,748 times
Quote:
You will NEVER - NEVER get someone who's a firm believer in religion to accept that it's ok for gay people to marry. NEVER.
You were saying?

Spoiler

Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,473,219 times
Quote:
You will NEVER - NEVER get someone who's a firm believer in religion to accept that it's ok for gay people to marry. NEVER.
What about people who firmly believe in denominations that accept same-sex marriage? Should their sincere religious beliefs be cast aside just because you don't approve of them?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:05 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,716,391 times
Yay for N.J.!

Oh, I'm a poet.

Anyway, little by little, day by day, support for gay marriage continues to expand. Our friends and neighbors are proving that America can change for the better, despite those who may wish to return to the 'bad old days'.

I hope that next year will see even greater change -- to the point where every couple in every state who wishes to marry can do so legally with their rights acknowledged by all.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:06 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,473,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Oh, I'm a poet.
And you know it.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,310 times
AWESOME!!

And while you are enjoying the distraction....thousands of Arab kids are dying so two homosexual men or women can move next to Ozzie and Harriet and not feel "oppressed"

Wait til the boilover.....

Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
thousands of Arab kids are dying so two homosexual men or women can move next to Ozzie and Harriet and not feel "oppressed"
What in God's name are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies