Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I emphasize:

Their choice; get it?
Yes, they CHOSE those plans because that's all they can afford. It still leaves them on the hook for $5,000+ deductibles, 40% co-pays for many services even after reaching the deductible, and out-of-pocket spending maximums of $8,500 to $12,700.

Are people going to think that's affordable? That's a HELL of a lot more than people who previously had employer-provided insurance were paying.

We already know many employers are dropping insurance plans for their employees because it's too expensive under Obamacare requirements. We're also learning now that Obamacare's individual exchange plans are very costly as well, and people are shocked and disappointed.

Affordable Care Act: High deductibles could pinch consumers - Chicago Tribune

North Carolinians Shocked By The Size Of Insurance Premium Increases Caused By Obamacare

Quote:
The cons were shrieking for years about the need for "catastrophic" plans. Now that they've got them, they don't like what they see!
I'm fine with it, but are you sure those clamoring for Obamacare knew they were going to be getting expensive catastrophic insurance plans instead of health care like they thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh---- now that would be excellent irony and will prove Ted Cruz was right all along.

They're going door to door here trying to sign people up for obamacare and the best thing about obamacare is how terrible it is, the total lack of interest in it.

Oh -- and the fact that all those 50 million uninsured can no longer be an issue at election time.
I will be happy when the uninsured are no longer an issue because that will mean everyone is insured.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they CHOSE those plans because that's all they can afford. It still leaves them on the hook for $5,000+ deductibles, 40% co-pays for many services even after reaching the deductible, and out-of-pocket spending maximums of $8,500 to $12,700.

Are people going to think that's affordable? That's a HELL of a lot more than people who previously had employer-provided insurance were paying.

We already know many employers are dropping insurance plans for their employees because it's too expensive under Obamacare requirements. We're also learning now that Obamacare's individual exchange plans are very costly as well, and people are shocked and disappointed.

North Carolinians Shocked By The Size Of Insurance Premium Increases Caused By Obamacare

I'm fine with it, but are you sure those clamoring for Obamacare knew they were going to be getting expensive catastrophic insurance plans instead of health care like they thought?
I am not sure what the point is here. With a Bronze plan you have a high deductible and a significant out of pocket. I would think though that your spending in those areas for a healthy person or family would be quite small. What really goes on is if you have a catastrophe you end up borrowing money but don't end up in bankruptcy. Those of us with known condition or at high risk are going to go for the better plans...as we know we will spend the money and then some. I am in Medicare buy my yearly bills are virtually certain to exceed $40,000 a year...so I would pay for gold or platinum if not for medicare.

So yes these fees are interesting but I have no idea whether they are a good or bad deal. There is insufficient information to compare to the old plans...and it looks to me like mostly it went up as an old plan would have from one year to the next.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I am not sure what the point is here. With a Bronze plan you have a high deductible and a significant out of pocket. I would think though that your spending in those areas for a healthy person or family would be quite small. What really goes on is if you have a catastrophe you end up borrowing money but don't end up in bankruptcy. Those of us with known condition or at high risk are going to go for the better plans...as we know we will spend the money and then some. I am in Medicare buy my yearly bills are virtually certain to exceed $40,000 a year...so I would pay for gold or platinum if not for medicare.

So yes these fees are interesting but I have no idea whether they are a good or bad deal. There is insufficient information to compare to the old plans...and it looks to me like mostly it went up as an old plan would have from one year to the next.
I was looking at one insurer's site where they still offer the "old" plans alongside the new ones for 2014. In most cases the rates were the same or lower for the new plans that were essentially the same as the old ones reflecting, I think, the competitive nature of the exchanges, the likelihood of getting paid, the greater number of younger people anticipated or who knows. The anti-Obamacare chorus so prevalent on this forum is going to continue to post misleading and irrelevant or downright inaccurate information from now till the cows come home. So, once again, I urge people who seriously need and want insurance to ignore all the bs about how poorly the website runs, how much this or that will cost, and get go look for themselves on their state exchanges or the fed one as appropriate. If those don't work, go to ehealthinsurance and to individual company websites like BCBS whose names you recognize (note the "brand" names may be the highest priced ones). P&OC is no place to get unbiased information.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

"Personal responsibility"
"Charity"
"Churches"
"Get a job"
"Family" (but not allowing young adults on your policy, oh, no, that is not a 'family-friendly' policy)
"Do without"
"Get rid of cable, cell phone service, expensive car leases, or get rid of the car altogether!"
ETC

Those were the buzzwords of the cons for decades! What's with all this empathy now? I'm calling hypocrisy!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:05 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's with all this empathy now? I'm calling hypocrisy!
You haven't been paying attention.

Quote:
They're warning Dems of the impending backlash as more and more of the American public experiences first-hand their substantial Obamacare costs.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
You haven't been paying attention.
Oh, I've been paying lots of attention! All I've heard from the vast, VAST majority of the cons for the 6 3/4 years I've been on CD (three before Obamacare) was
"Personal responsibility"
"Charity"
"Churches"
"Get a job"
"Family" (but not allowing young adults on your policy, oh, no, that is not a 'family-friendly' policy)
"Do without"
"Get rid of cable, cell phone service, expensive car leases, or get rid of the car altogether!"
and others. Many people have questioned why insurance should pay for anything other than hospitalization, comparing any other coverage to auto insurance paying for oil changes. Anyone who hasn't seen this hasn't been paying attention.

Now we're supposed to believe these same people think these "bronze" policies, which do cover an annual physical and preventive services, far more than some people's present policies cover, is inadequate? Crock of compost.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:18 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I will be happy when the uninsured are no longer an issue because that will mean everyone is insured.

That isn't going to happen.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The bureaucrats fumbling their way through Obamacare have come up with complicated formulas to decide how much each of us will pay for Obamacare, once the mandate forces us to comply. The formulas have not been released, having been kept secret for some reason.

But some people have sat down and gone through the Federal and State exchanges to find the rates required for a young person, an older person, and a family of four, for each state.

Most people in most states will see large increases. A few will see decreases.

Click on the attached thumbnail of a table of average rates under the old system, and rates from the Obamacare Exchanges you are now required to pay (or face stiff penalties).

Enrollment in Obamacare Exchanges: How Will Your Health Insurance Fare?
Will Obamacare increase insurance premiums to high levels? I don't know, but I believe Obamacare will save all of us money in the future.

But I know one thing. Republicans are able to see all the problems with Obamacare, but republicans refuse to fix Obamacare. If republicans would fine tune Obamacare it would save all of us a sh-- load of money for sure.

But today's republicans no longer have intelligent and civilized conversations. Look at the republicans in this forum, they all hear something on Fox news and then bum-rush the forum, like a pack of wolves attacking Obama.

The republicans refuse to see the other sides points, while they fight to tarnish the democrats, so they can achieve the one single thing they want, and its something like this,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

The following shows the other side of Obamacare, it's a copy/paste of a post I made in another thread.

Obamacare was modeled after Romneycare (the health care law Mitt Romney passed as governor of Massachusetts.) MIT economist Jonathan Grube helped design both Romneycare and Obamacare. And Romneycare has lowered premiums in that market by about 50 percent relative to the national trend. And it only increased government spending by 1%.

Romneycare In Massachusetts, Six Years Later - ABC News

And according to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), 6.8 million American consumers saved an estimated $1.2 billion on health insurance premiums in 2012, due to the “rate review” provision of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), which brought unprecedented accountability to slow the growth of health insurance premiums.

Health care law saves consumers $1.2 billion nationwide

Obamacare will also save these 45,000 Americans from dying each year who don't have insurance.
New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage | Harvard Gazette

And with the preventative care in Obamacare it will save (huge) amounts of money in the future.

Last edited by chad3; 10-19-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Have you gotten together as a group and verified that all with medical problems can afford to do so?

Yes, it did go up and at astronomical rates to many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies