Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
yankee transplants have destroyed the entire state of NC. you should see the way they are gentrifying the once diverse cities. they love cary, NC. cary is very diverse. I saw a black family once in cary. they told me they managed to hide in an attic long enough to avoid being deported to durham. the best part is that when liberals read articles about the re-segregation, they automatically assume it was a plan by some redneck republican. nope.
Wow, what an uneducated statement.

BTW, you should take a moment to educate yourself regarding the Wake country school boards evolution. There were many factors going in to the decision to return to neighborhood schools. To think that it was a move to return black kids back to the hood is a typical Lib talking point, but a gross oversimplification.

Also, my kid, who goes to a Wake County school in Cary has more brown and asian kids in his class than white kids. Isn't that diversity? Or, is it only diverse if black kids are involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
It appears limousiners are only interested in boosting the self esteem of certain minorities, even if it comes at the cost of dragging everyone down to the lowest of the low denominators.

No child can be left behind if none of them can get ahead in the first place.

Remember you git the gubmint you deserve.
Or maybe going by one test was a deliberate ploy to boost the enrollment of "certain minorities".
The game can be played both ways. The fair answer is a process that is moderate to every side, even if some people don't get everything they want.

Quote:
lowest of the low denominators
I guess you mean those lowly blacks.

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 11-14-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The point is, the mayor wants to replace the test with skin color.
Yep.....that's it

Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, what an uneducated statement.

BTW, you should take a moment to educate yourself regarding the Wake country school boards evolution. There were many factors going in to the decision to return to neighborhood schools. To think that it was a move to return black kids back to the hood is a typical Lib talking point, but a gross oversimplification.

Also, my kid, who goes to a Wake County school in Cary has more brown and asian kids in his class than white kids. Isn't that diversity? Or, is it only diverse if black kids are involved?
He is somewhat right...I agree that gentrification is a real issue in NC. We are yankee transplants in NC and the rent in the state is really going through the roof because yankees still find it relatively cheap..property still remains dirt cheap, otoh. So I can see how people can be misplaced, definitely.

But as far as a plot to return blacks to the hoods? That is laughable at best....because even in the Davidson county school my children go to..which is predominantly white....you see some of these black families who move in and think that just because a better testing school is "babysitting" their children for 7-8 hours a day..that all is well.

And that cannot be further from the truth...

Even the ridiculous "social justice" measures where all the schools in Forsyth county will NOT let teacher submit a failing grade for any students is not going to help. This is the problem I see with many indifferent parents in the hood...as long as the report card reads A's and B's and the random C....all is well!! Who cares that their children have tested 10% below the proficiency level of their own school, let alone the state!

At the end of the day....you can take the person out of the dumpster but the trash always comes along with them.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
yankee transplants have destroyed the entire state of NC. you should see the way they are gentrifying the once diverse cities. they love cary, NC. cary is very diverse. I saw a black family once in cary. they told me they managed to hide in an attic long enough to avoid being deported to durham. the best part is that when liberals read articles about the re-segregation, they automatically assume it was a plan by some redneck republican. nope.
north carolina was full of white liberals long before the yankees started to arrive.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The point is, the mayor wants to replace the test with skin color.
Not a fan of Affirmative Action...I want a doctor who got the highest test score, not one granted entrance based on skin color. Or hired for skin color.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 AM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Not a fan of Affirmative Action...I want a doctor who got the highest test score, not one granted entrance based on skin color. Or hired for skin color.
A large part of any healthcare training involves clinical training. I can tell you from substantial experience that those who got great classroom test scores where very often the students who got lousy scores during testing in clinicals (the hands on part).

So there's part of the problem, a lot of people think in black and white, no depth to thought.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times
Well, now deBlasio is mayor, and has found some fellow politicians and an activist union leader to help him push his reformation of the elite HS admissions process:
Teacher’s union backs bill to change admission policy for top high schools | New York Post
The discussion closed elsewhere, so I'll continue it here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/2136092-end-elite-nyc-public-schools.html
The 400-pound elephant in the room, is race/ethnicity. In NYC, that means black & latino, not asian. Whatever your opinion about the method used to choose students for NYC's elite high schools, the expressed goal of the mayor & now the union leader is to increase black & latino admissions. I don't know that Mulgrew speaks for his membership on this topic, especially the faculties at the elite HSs.
IMO, the success of many asian applicants is because they have prepared and obtained the knowledge necessary to score well on the exam. Not all asians take the exam, or do well on it. But, there are certainly large numbers who have, by sheer perspiration, if not inspiration. Unfortunately, black & latino & white grammar school students have not availed themselves of the free tutoring programs in large numbers. So, some want to change the process, and make it more subjective. Anyone who thinks that underperforming minority students accepted through an alternative process will quickly fail and be jettisoned, does not know the litigious side of NYC's racial politics.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have never been a fan of standardized testing, it is a poor way to educate children.
Doesn't matter what type of teaching method one uses. The goal is to learn the material.

In the primary grades, you have to have testing to measure if the goal has been met.
I don't care if it's verbal, on a chalk board*, or with quizzes and finals.

If you know the material, you will pass some kind of test. May not ace it, but
you will pass.

If there is a disconnect between your brain and the question.
Guess what, you don't know the answer. It's really that simply.

*I hate white boards and dry erasers with a passion.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:25 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have never been a fan of standardized testing, it is a poor way to educate children.
Well it is not to educate them but to test what they have learned supposedly. And yes they are a terrible measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies