Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The solution is to get the government OUT OF IT.

Simple, effective, and the ONLY one that works.
I agree.

I am trying to understand though...what happens when an uninsured person goes to the hospital? Who pays for that....? A 5 year old who has some God awful issues that costs thousands and thousand of dollars to fix and is uninsured...who pays? How is it covered by the free market?

I am a free market person, just looking for an intelligent, thoughtful response to the health care problem. I am far from an expert on this issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
The government has been 'out of it' since forever. And we have endlessly rising insurance costs, companies cutting people off when they reach the 'payment cap', or refusing to cover people with pre-existing conditions (like womanhood), and all the other ills that ACA is designed to solve.

When it comes to health care, the free-market has failed.

The conservatives are always upset by changing times.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM

42 posts, read 32,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
I agree.

I am trying to understand though...what happens when an uninsured person goes to the hospital? Who pays for that....? A 5 year old who has some God awful issues that costs thousands and thousand of dollars to fix and is uninsured...who pays? How is it covered by the free market?

I am a free market person, just looking for an intelligent, thoughtful response to the health care problem. I am far from an expert on this issue!
It's a tough situation, however the prejudice that we have when thinking about the answer comes from our knowledge of medical prices as they currently stand. The hospitals and other medical providers will have to eat costs just as any business eats costs. However, the treatment itself would be considerably cheaper in a situation where the free market dictates the prices of medical procedures. Mexico has very comparable medical care quality, but the prices are exceptionally cheaper because their prices are usually posted and they don't have a series of bureaucrats satisfying their benefactors.

A better question is, "why does the misconception exist that the uninsured seeking treatment at ER's is the sole driver of costs." It is a portion, no doubt but it isn't the real reason. Adding a market mechanism to treatment and dismantling the link of insurance to employment is the way medicine becomes more affordable for all of us.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:58 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
The tea party could learn from Jeb on ACA... his basic point was, "if you want to bring down the policy, then present an alternative to people and explain to them why it would work better."

Of course, if the tea party had the capacity to reason like this, then they wouldn't be the tea party; they would be intelligent people with a rational point of view.

It's much easier / more fun for them to just talk about how US default isn't a big deal.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Jeb Bush and all the other Bushes need to just go away.
Dont blame Jeb for your BFFs mistakes. Jeb Bush will never get the GOP nomination, he has to much common sense.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The purpose of the so-called ACA is to destroy private insurance leaving no alternative to a single-payer system, so to allow Obamacare to run its course is to allow the private insurance most Americans want to be taken away against their will by a scam artist pretending to care about the cost and availability of healthcare.
That is the same kinda predictions you all were making about US corporations be socialized if Obama became President.

...or how about this one; "Obama is going to conficate all your guns".

You people and your ridiculous predictions. Dont you all ever get tired of being wrong?

Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo86 View Post
Spoken like a true elder statesman, Jeb urges restraint on critiquing Obamacare. Jeb acknowledged that the GOP is better served just allowing the ACA to self-destruct. He is on the money on this one and I for one, hope he decides to run. Engaging in an ideological war with the government as the hostage is a joke, and a waste of time. Just let this disaster blow up...it's already started.

Jeb Bush urges 'self-restraint' in attacking Obamacare - POLITICO.com
I hope he is the choice to be the candidate. Because he will lose in a land slide.

Jeb Bush on Drugs

Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
The GOP's answer to a health care crisis remains a can on the counter of your local 7-11.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM

42 posts, read 32,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
The GOP's answer to a health care crisis remains a can on the counter of your local 7-11.
It's fun reading posts like this. They just re-affirm the glaring lack of insight and knowledge the left has of ANY option to ANY problem with exception to having Big Brother pay pick up the check.

How about this for options.
1. Increase health insurance portability. (Remove it from it's tie to employment.) Health Insurance should be purchased on the free market just like auto insurance. This market mechanism is why I pay 250 dollars every six months for two brand new cars with full coverage.
2. Remove across state border regulations. I should be able to buy an Idaho tailored policy in NC or wherever I live. Idaho has the lowest cost because it's law requires it to cover the least. NY has one of the highest because more and more bureaucrats have dipped their pen in the company ink. Do you think it's a coincidence that the most liberal jurisdictions have the highest health insurance costs? FYI..It ain't.
3. Pay for services at the point of sale. Health insurance was never intended to be used for every visit. We don't file claims new paint jobs on our cars.

Those three options alone would do more than you could wrap your head around to lower healthcare costs....and all without one penny in tax increases.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo86 View Post
Spoken like a true elder statesman, Jeb urges restraint on critiquing Obamacare. Jeb acknowledged that the GOP is better served just allowing the ACA to self-destruct. He is on the money on this one and I for one, hope he decides to run. Engaging in an ideological war with the government as the hostage is a joke, and a waste of time. Just let this disaster blow up...it's already started.

Jeb Bush urges 'self-restraint' in attacking Obamacare - POLITICO.com
So the repubs should not have asked for the personal mandate to be delayed for the 30-40 million uninsured?

I see, so Jeb thinks if the law will unfairly harm the people, we just sit back and do nothing to prove a political point, so that later on we can say "see, we told you so?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies