Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Spinning faster ...
Stay ignorant I don't care.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,839,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes. Because the practice of detaining people who buy things they look like they can't afford is skyrocketing!! Wait until Best Buy starts the practice. They might as well just setup a police substation in the lot considering 90% of the people buying TV's can't afford them.
yet it happened here and you dismiss it.

you know what they did is wrong. why you defend them is beyond me.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes. Because the practice of detaining people who buy things they look like they can't afford is skyrocketing!! Wait until Best Buy starts the practice. They might as well just setup a police substation in the lot considering 90% of the people buying TV's can't afford them.
Best buy always asks me to show a receipt as I walk out the door. Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!!

Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!! Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!! Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So you shut up now ?

Rev. Jesse Jackson, anti-violence groups ask for peace in Chicago | WGN-TV

You were ignorant to the facts; and instead of saying so, you just assumed that since you didnt know about it, it never happened.
It's nice that they all got together to once again blame guns. Meanwhile, Lincoln Park has 1 murder a year and Austin has 40....and they are only 3 miles apart and have the same gun laws, same access to guns etc.

The rev just showed up for the photo op, to make a political attack on guns and to of course help deflect the real problem in Chicago which is racist and selective policing policies. If only the city were a republican stronghold, then the rev could open his mouth and speak the truth.

Sharpton (to his credit) at least attempted this a little bit before being told to tone it down "or else".

Ah yes, reminds me of how MLK got treated by Mayor Daley (the dad).

Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,839,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Best buy always asks me to show a receipt as I walk out the door. Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!!

Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!! Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!! Rage, bounce off walls, rage again!!!!!
yea, and did they arrest you and detain you after you showed them the receipt.

i dont know why its so hard for you to just say i think barneys actions were disgraceful, and they should acknowledge what happened and apologize for there actions.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,867,088 times
Psh, this brings back flashbacks of me deciding what game related shirt to buy from Hot Topic when I was a teen, talk about being watched like a hawk. Sure it's lolHotTopic, but store clerks can be pretty stupid.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:03 PM

596 posts, read 730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
How is he a thug? He has no record of previous arrest and he is a college student with a part time job.

This kid probably works harder than you do.
Some of these folks think every young black man is a thug. Especially if he listens to rap. All I can say is this guy is doing a pi/s/s poor job of being a "thug." Going to engineering school and working at Target. Yeah, that's some scary stuff.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:04 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
every belt in my house cost less than 20 dollars. I honestly have never even seen a belt that cost more than 50. In what world is a 350 dollar belt not a luxury item ?????
It's a fake luxury item. A real luxury item makes rich people jealous because they don't have one. Saying this belt is luxury is like saying Jordan's are a luxury item.

A real luxury item is behind the counter so normal people can't touch it.

For example that belt is the equivalent of going to a Lamborghini dealer and buying a Lamborghini keychain.

Just about everyone on this board can go and buy a $350 belt if they really wanted to.

Real luxury items aren't affordable by normal people. I'm sure we all have nice jobs and a nice rainy day savings bundle, but I'm sure most of us couldn't just pull out a debit card and buy a $200,000 watch for it "minimalistic design".

No rich person is going to look at someone sporting a $350 and say "Oooh, I need to get one!"

Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,958,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
yet it happened here and you dismiss it.

you know what they did is wrong. why you defend them is beyond me.
Once again, happening once doesn't make it a practice. Sounds like you're simply looking to be "outraged" about it.

I also never condoned what the store did, I simply said people are making this out to be some international incident.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
Barneys is clearly in the wrong here - without question.

I would have been somewhat fine if they denied him access to the store - if they wanted to make an assumption about purchasing power, their customer base, etc - set up a dress code, an age limit, etc ..... do it in a non-discriminatory way and be consistent .... but if they think that 19 year olds in general cannot afford their product and it could cause them expense in fraudulent purchases than make it a store policy that all persons under the age 21 must be accompanied by an "adult", also all persons who enter must dress appropriately - no ballcaps, no denim, no sneakers, etc

They didn't have such a policy and determined that this individual could shop at their store

If they suspected fraud at the point of sale, then they could enlist in the mechanisms at that time in a discreet manner to verify identity and the card - plenty of ways to frame it as to not offend or discriminate against a potential customer

However, they chose not to do this and decided that they would make the sale

Once they completed that then they thought it was a good idea to call the police just in case

I can understand the police checking it out, but it seems like this one should have been fairly quick & obvious and more of a nuisance call than anything

I'm sure class played a huge part in this, as well as age with race probably coming in a distant 3rd .......... when I was that age I made some seemingly expensive purchases on what would be frivolous items from higher end department stores and was typically questioned on it at the time of sale ......... when I was in London one store flat out refused to sell me an item with my check card that I was buying on behalf of my parents as a wedding gift for my brother - I asked if cash would be accepted, they agreed but said they'd only hold the item for 1 hour before returning it to the shelf ..... it took some manuevering as the amount of cash needed exceeded my daily ATM limit and I was in a foreign country, but they were shocked to see me 45 minutes later with cash in hand

I've been kicked out of nicer tobacco shops and liquor marts as well for not fitting the typical customer profile - those ones simply never received any money .... same deal with any store that has asked me to leave simply for browsing

I could think of many things that worth the $350 more than a belt - but that is simply my value system and irrelevant to what happened here .......... he was essentially paying cash for something he desired and saved up for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies