Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving Day?
Yes 23 43.40%
No 30 56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
maybe not -but some folks just want modern slaves. (robots) -maybe some have no family to count their blessings with- and apparently some just forgot American traditions and don't care for those. but as I mentioned before I have fed some 20 soldiers on this occasion... so it is just that -a special OCCASION - so what is wrong with that??
If the mall is open on TG day, does that make YOUR occasion any less special??

Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Again. Don't like shopping. Don't go. It's just that simple. Don't expect every other person to conform to your idea of the holidays.

I don't shop on thanksgiving. I think it's silly. Doesn't mean we should force business to shut down.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Who are you that you get to tell someone they can't be open for business???
Lordy, I think this is like the third time now I've agreed with pnwmdk!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They do get a PAID holiday. And they double their pay by working on the holiday. Voluntarily.
Yes! This is how it is at my company. I volunteered for all the summer holidays - for the EXTRA money. Others will volunteer for Thanksgiving; never do we have to 'draft' anyone. People will volunteer for the money OR for a day off when they need it most.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again. Don't like shopping. Don't go. It's just that simple. Don't expect every other person to conform to your idea of the holidays.

I don't shop on thanksgiving. I think it's silly. Doesn't mean we should force business to shut down.
Pretty much the way I feel. I don't think stores "should" be open, nor do I think they "should" be closed. I think the owners of the stores "should" do what they think works best for their businesses. Whatever they choose to do, it will not affect the way I celebrate a holiday.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
NoJive brings up an interesting point.

What is important to some people may not be at all to others.

So someone else's day comes to a grinding halt because YOU want to celebrate a religious holiday?

That seems kind of oppressive.
(Obviously in this case I speak of xmas, not Thanksgiving.)
So because Person A wants to shop at a store while Person B works at that store and actually celebrates a holiday (religious or national) they should be forced to not celebrate said holiday and instead work. For the most part, consumers could choose what day to buy items. (Emergencies not withstanding.)

Old 10-26-2013, 06:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So because Person A wants to shop at a store while Person B works at that store and actually celebrates a holiday (religious or national) they should be forced to not celebrate said holiday and instead work. For the most part, consumers could choose what day to buy items. (Emergencies not withstanding.)
Listen, I do not go out on holidays. Number one reason is the crazy amount of people out and about.
I hate crowds.

But no one should dictate to anyone else which days everything just gets shut down.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If Person B has a sincere problem with working on a holiday and he cannot work out a solution with his employer, he needs to find another job.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Pretty much the way I feel. I don't think stores "should" be open, nor do I think they "should" be closed. I think the owners of the stores "should" do what they think works best for their businesses. Whatever they choose to do, it will not affect the way I celebrate a holiday.
Sounds reasonable and if things were different in this country, maybe it really would be.

But a lot of Americans these days are stuck in low paying jobs like retail not by choice but because they have no choice. Its easy to say "don't take jobs like that" but not everyone has a choice. Sometimes its their low skill set, sometimes its their second job or sometimes there is no other job in town.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM

124 posts, read 122,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sounds reasonable and if things were different in this country, maybe it really would be.

But a lot of Americans these days are stuck in low paying jobs like retail not by choice but because they have no choice. Its easy to say "don't take jobs like that" but not everyone has a choice. Sometimes its their low skill set, sometimes its their second job or sometimes there is no other job in town.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Here. Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies