Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving Day?
Yes 23 43.40%
No 30 56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe the stores ARE thinking about the retail workers.

By opening stores on Thanksgiving, it alleviates some of the crush on Black Friday. Some people will want to spend the holiday with their families, some people will want to shop. But come Friday morning, some of the people who've swelled the masses of shoppers on previous years, putting some of those retail workers in danger, won't be there.
That...is actually a good point. One I didn't even consider, and I never had a problem with stores being open on Thanksgiving.

Quote:
More than that, your presumption that ALL retail workers don't want to work on Thanksgiving is false.
Very true. I work the deli at a grocery market right now, but I certainly don't have an issue working Thanksgiving.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:22 PM

124 posts, read 122,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Let the marketplace decide.
Then let corporates/CEO work themselves during holidays, weekends and evenings and see their reaction....

Why not bring back slavery while at it?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Please sign this online petition:

Most department stores decided to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving evening in order to compete, and now Simon malls decided to keep their malls open at 8 pm as well all until 10 pm on Black Friday for 26 hours straight, and told all retail stores located in the mall to follow mall holiday hours.

Wow what an evil world we have been turned into. I would be fine if CEO's and corporates left their families on important holidays and worked in the stores themselves that day. Such a greedy, cold hearted and selfish!

I hope that everyone contacts their local congressman to pass a law that forbids retailers to be open on major family holidays!!!!!! Unfortunately online petitions don't work because corporates ignore them despite hundreds of thousands of signatures mainly from workers!

Gahh greedy corporates! Isn't 362 days a year enough?!
We don't need to pass a law. People need to vote with their feet and stay HOME on Thanksgiving. These stores wouldn't be opening if people weren't shopping.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-26-2013 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCat View Post
I'm thankful that Maine only allows stores of a certain square footage to be open on Thanksgiving,Christmas and Easter. Larger stores can't open. I don't know that it's fair,but I'm glad to be able to count on those days off. My company has stores throughout New England and New York,and in states where it is allowed,they are open with reduced hours. People seem to be able to plan accordingly.
God Bless Maine, their politicians and those good hearted people.

Massachusetts ban large stores from being open on Thanksgiving as well....

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
We don't need to pass a law. People need to vote with their feet and stay HOME on Thanksgiving. These stores wouldn't be opening if people weren't shopping.

Bingo.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
A law must be passed, otherwise corporates/CEO won't listen or care.
Unfortunately there will always be some customers hungry for black "Friday" sales wanting to be first person getting that deal.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
People already do. We have seen evidence of that, right here. Those who don't like it, stay home. Those that want to do it, do it.

The OP wants to make it a law that everyone has to do it the way the OP wants it done. The OP wants to control millions of people over their choice in shopping. It's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe the stores ARE thinking about the retail workers.

By opening stores on Thanksgiving, it alleviates some of the crush on Black Friday. Some people will want to spend the holiday with their families, some people will want to shop. But come Friday morning, some of the people who've swelled the masses of shoppers on previous years, putting some of those retail workers in danger, won't be there.

More than that, your presumption that ALL retail workers don't want to work on Thanksgiving is false. There will be retailers that give employees a choice, work on Thanksgiving and get Friday off, or work on Friday and get Thanksgiving off. Many will CHOOSE to work on Thanksgiving. And many would like to work the whole weekend, because they are making money that they, in turn, can use for Christmas.
Baloney. Nobody wants to work on major family holidays. Go ask any person working in retail face to face and stop listening to online forum people pretending to work in retail saying they prefer to work.

Thanksgiving, Easter & Christmas = NO shopping.
End of story

Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
A law must be passed, otherwise corporates/CEO won't listen or care.
Unfortunately there will always be some customers hungry for black "Friday" sales wanting to be first person getting that deal.
Why not pass a law that anyone caught shopping on Thanksgiving is imprisoned?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
What you do does not represent most Americans...

What a miserable life...
Oh please, dramatize everything much?
You have no clue how my life is just because I chose not to deal with the craziness for the holidays with parts of my family.
What YOU think is right as far as your little online petition goes does NOT represent most Americans either.
Take a step off that soap box and quit making assumptions about something you really know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies