Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:48 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times

Advertisements

Uruguay is going to try a new strategy when it comes to marijuana. I think this is a smarter way to deal with marijuana. What do yall think?

Pot growers celebrate as Uruguay legalizes cultivation and consumption of marijuana - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Oops, I put this in the elections section. Can a moderator please move it into the politics section, please?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 AM

30 posts, read 90,283 times
I think it is an amazing idea and one that hopefully will soon adopted around the world. Marijuana is a completely harmless plant with proven medicinal properties. It is not hallucinogenic, it is not physically addictive, and it is literally impossible to overdose on. It has been used successfully for decades to treat nausea, chronic pain, glaucoma, anxiety, and insomnia, and there is growing anecdotal evidence that certain cannabinoids present in marijuana can actually destroy cancer cells. Despite the fact that one would think that smoking marijuana would be just as bad for your lungs as smoking cigarettes, there is no proven scientific link between marijuana smoking and emphysema, COPD, or lung cancer. No one has ever died from marijuana, and unlike alcohol or other drugs such as cocaine or methamphetamine, marijuana makes you peaceful, relaxed, and calm. You never hear about someone smoking a joint and then beating their wife or hitting a bong and then jumping off the roof of a building. People who smoke marijuana simply want to relax, and there is absolutely no good reason why someone should not be allowed to do that in the privacy of their own home.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 AM

Oh, and it is most definitely the smarter way to deal with marijuana, and any drug for that matter. Before alcohol prohibition in the United States in the 1920s, organized crime existed but was not very powerful. Once Prohibition began, organized crime exploded and became a major issue in American law enforcement and public safety. After Prohibition ended, organized crime unfortunately continued to stay strong, but its power and influence gradually faded and it is now but a shell of its former self. The same situation will play out should marijuana be legalized. Once a substance is completely legal and can be grown or purchased anywhere by anyone, there's little illegal profit to made from it. I don't need to deal with the Mafia in order to get alcohol these days; I can just drive to my local supermarket and pick up a case of beer or walk next door to the liquor store and get a handle of rum.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 AM

37,219 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Looks to me like they'll probably have to widen the bridge from Buenos Aires. They'll have enough cash on hand to do that after they pay off their national debt.

Why isn't our government that smart?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1088 View Post
I think it is an amazing idea and one that hopefully will soon adopted around the world. Marijuana is a completely harmless plant with proven medicinal properties. It is not hallucinogenic, it is not physically addictive, and it is literally impossible to overdose on. It has been used successfully for decades to treat nausea, chronic pain, glaucoma, anxiety, and insomnia, and there is growing anecdotal evidence that certain cannabinoids present in marijuana can actually destroy cancer cells. Despite the fact that one would think that smoking marijuana would be just as bad for your lungs as smoking cigarettes, there is no proven scientific link between marijuana smoking and emphysema, COPD, or lung cancer. No one has ever died from marijuana, and unlike alcohol or other drugs such as cocaine or methamphetamine, marijuana makes you peaceful, relaxed, and calm. You never hear about someone smoking a joint and then beating their wife or hitting a bong and then jumping off the roof of a building. People who smoke marijuana simply want to relax, and there is absolutely no good reason why someone should not be allowed to do that in the privacy of their own home.
Do I think the time has come or is coming when pot is legalized or decriminalize here? Yes, but for anyone to make the statement it is a totally harmless drug is nuts. It is a drug, it isn't harmless!!!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM

37,219 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Do I think the time has come or is coming when pot is legalized or decriminalize here? Yes, but for anyone to make the statement it is a totally harmless drug is nuts. It is a drug, it isn't harmless!!!
You're right. You risk being roughed up by the jack-booted thugs who bust you for possession of a harmless weed.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Oops, I put this in the elections section. Can a moderator please move it into the politics section, please?
Oops here too. I meant to rep you on your previous post...

Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Then please explain to me how it is not harmless. You cannot overdose on it, you cannot be physically addicted to it, it is not hallucinogenic, and people who smoke it or otherwise ingest it are almost unanimously calm, relax, and non-violent. No one smokes weed starts a fight or robs a convenience store or sexually assaults someone. I smoke weed regularly, am friends with people who smoke weed regularly, and have been around countless people who smoke weed, and not once have I ever witnessed any type of violent or dangerous behavior from myself or any of them. You know what people who smoke weed do? We sit on our couches, watch Family Guy, and eat junk food. The only dangerous part of smoking weed is that you might eat too much candy or pizza and wake up a pound or two heavier the next morning. That's it. Alcohol, meanwhile, is completely legal and incredibly dangerous. It gives you a false sense of confidence, impairs your decision-making, and oftentimes causes aggressive and dangerous behavior in people, not to mention too much ingestion of it over the long-term causes irreparable liver damage, and too much ingestion of it in one sitting can literally kill you. Such effects have never been documented with marijuana. Cigarettes are legal and yet have been proven to cause lung cancer, emphysema, COPD, and other chronic respiratory conditions; marijuana has never been proven to cause any of those things. Cocaine, heroin, and meth all cause permanent damage to the human body with repeated use, all are physically addictive, and all can be overdosed on; marijuana does not, is not, and cannot. There is no scientifically-proven link between marijuana usage and permanent cognitive defects, but there are some studies coming out recently indicating that marijuana might actually help protect neurons against damage. I've already also discussed the growing amount of anecdotal evidence that indicates that marijuana can be used to literally fight cancer. So please, with all of that in mind, tell me how marijuana is dangerous.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:04 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Regardless of what either side will claim, the drug laws in this country really do more harm than good and are mostly innefective. If they are so effective, then why is drug use such a problem?

Uruguay's system may be effective. Portugal's has been very effective to date, both with decreasing the number of arrests, as well as overall consumption and addiciton.
Money needs to be put into rehab, which is almost as antiquated in this nation as the Nixon era laws we have now.

(DO you remember president Nixon? The "I am not a crook guy" who had to resign because, well, he was a crook and got caught....)
He is the one who first declared war on drugs, started the FDA scheduling system which is totally inadequate, as it restrict drugs which are needed for medications while ignoring some which are far more dangerous.
I have made this argument before and I hear from people over and over how crime pays, and how everyone from the local police up to the drug czars will be out of work if we legalize drugs. It will put police, jailers, rehab counselors, parole officers, meth lab operators, drug smugglers and runners and drug kingpins all out of work.
What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies