Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

He's right. There are a lot of closet atheists holding prominent positions. Too bad that there is still a huge religious segment in our society that has to be pandered to.

Bill Maher Richard Dawkins Is Pope Atheist? Obama's An Atheist, Kennedy Was An Atheist - YouTube

Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I believe it. Of course, I think everyone is an atheist.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Obama and Kennedy are/were far too intelligent to be believers in the invisible man but it's still a prerequisite for higher office in this country. Throw in Bill Clinton, seriously. I bet Al Sharpton is a closet atheist. The show got real awkward when Dawkins came out. Al was pretty quiet but he picked his spots, can't let his religious followers down. Reminds me of when D.L. Hughley basically said he believed for no good reason.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
I think there's an enormous segment of the population who have halfway beliefs in their religion, that aren't entirely belief or nonbelief. They're somewhere in between.

Belief can mean:

*I believe the sky is blue
*I want to believe
*I assume
*I think there's a 51% chance this is true
*I think there's less than a 51% chance this is true, but I'm worried about the consequences of Pascal's Wager, so I'll try to believe
*I'm an author, and I imagine/believe the fictional characters I write about are real

and lots and lots of other things.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think there's an enormous segment of the population who have halfway beliefs in their religion, that aren't entirely belief or nonbelief. They're somewhere in between.

Belief can mean:

*I believe the sky is blue
*I want to believe
*I assume
*I think there's a 51% chance this is true
*I think there's less than a 51% chance this is true, but I'm worried about the consequences of Pascal's Wager, so I'll try to believe
*I'm an author, and I imagine/believe the fictional characters I write about are real

and lots and lots of other things.
I think the majority of people in this country don't believe in anything supernatural but dare not say anything for fear of being socially exiled. Once people have the appropriate cover, they'll step out and admit that religion is just hocus pocus. The second after Obama gave black folks cover in regards to gay marriage, the pendulum swung. It was incredible. I think the same thing will happen as it pertains to religious belief.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
HUH? I just read Obama and his family are very religious and have services in private. They don't want to make a big deal out of it. HMMMMMMM

Old 10-25-2013, 11:33 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I think the majority of people in this country don't believe in anything supernatural but dare not say anything for fear of being socially exiled. Once people have the appropriate cover, they'll step out and admit that religion is just hocus pocus. The second after Obama gave black folks cover in regards to gay marriage, the pendulum swung. It was incredible. I think the same thing will happen as it pertains to religious belief.
Secular theists are atheists who find it taboo to declare non belief. There's no way you can be secular and subscribe to religion. There are many reasons why they refuse to describe themselves as atheists.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Obama and Kennedy are/were far too intelligent to be believers in the invisible man but it's still a prerequisite for higher office in this country. Throw in Bill Clinton, seriously. I bet Al Sharpton is a closet atheist. The show got real awkward when Dawkins came out. Al was pretty quiet but he picked his spots, can't let his religious followers down. Reminds me of when D.L. Hughley basically said he believed for no good reason.
obama and kennedy? tweedle dee and tweedle dum? two of history's most embarrassing idiots.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
the faux may well be an atheist. how pathetic that the faux can't be honest.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 AM

688 posts, read 652,299 times
I wonder if the religious folks, who try to bastardize people who can act in an unselfish manner without a religion, and who try and claim that atheists lack morality, ever consider that their "goodness toward others" is actually just selfishness based on rewards and punishments promised by a guy who can't sign a contract.

Perhaps Atheists just had good parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies