Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They didn't know any better, this is a perfect example of "poor raising". Even those on the left should be outraged!
They should be... but they won't, because they would have to admit that they were wrong in the first place. Have you EVER heard a lefty say they were wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
What will they pay? They can't afford basic needs in every day life. Most don't even have a mailing address how will they pay from under the bridge. Guess we can now count on those gang members doing their part. Finally paying for all the gang violence that puts them in the emergency.
When someone comes in the ER, they will be treated, as usual. However, what most folks do not understand is - by law - ERs are required to stabilize patients, not "cure" them. So . . . the patient is stabilized and then what?

Estimates vary on how many folks show up at the ER without insurance. Some figures put it as high as 40%. I have not researched this in the last year.

So what happens when someone comes into the ER with a gunshot wound and no insurance? They will be stabilized.

And then the medical social workers or whomever has the responsibility (Patient Care Rep, perhaps) will get that person's info and attempt to assist with hooking them up with Medicaid . . . or whatever other subsidized program (charity care) they may qualify for in that particular hospital, county, etc.

I have not been able to get a clear answer as to how hospitals are handling collections for folks without insurance under ACA. I, personally, think that hospitals have no choice but get the person's Social Security number, and make a computer available to them, on site, where they are then signed up for some ACA program (without any suggestions or "leading" f/ the hospital employee). I checked this out with an attorney, and evidently, this is legally feasible.

In the past, hospitals never turned over such info (to other agencies outside of Medicaid or Medicare) but in case no one has been paying attention . . . the info you put into the ACA website (social security #, salary, tel #, web address, address, etc) is now ACCESSIBLE to other agencies, including your own LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

Did you realize that when you went on that website, every bit of info about you (including your IP address) is now in a central database and available to other agencies, including your local city/county government?

So . .. what I am saying is . . . the days of going into an ER instead of a physician's office to avoid paying for healthcare are basically over. Sure, people will lie about their social security number, name, address, etc and try to skip out on their hospital bills. But ACA has made that much more difficult to do.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,875,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I never heard that offer. I think only stupid people thought that.
The poor and middle class thought it was free... that is pretty elitist of you to think they are stupid... I could compare myself to you and say the same thing about you but I don't...

Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The poor and middle class thought it was free... that is pretty elitist of you to think they are stupid... I could compare myself to you and say the same thing about you but I don't...
And why would the poor and middle class think it was free? Where was this information coming from that had them believing they were going to get free healthcare?

I think we have already clearly established that it sure was not from the Republican side of the aisle.

So who "gave the impression" that Obamacare meant "free healthcare?"

I think that is at the root of all the dismay over ACA. Misinformation. BUT WHERE DID THAT MISINFORMATION COME FROM????

Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,875,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And why would the poor and middle class think it was free? Where was this information coming from that had them believing they were going to get free healthcare?

I think we have already clearly established that it sure was not from the Republican side of the aisle.

So who "gave the impression" that Obamacare meant "free healthcare?"

I think that is at the root of all the dismay over ACA. Misinformation. BUT WHERE DID THAT MISINFORMATION COME FROM????
When Obama and democrats said the health plans offered better benefits without elaborating what those benefits were... and that the cost to those who are more poor would be minimal without telling them about the 12k deductible they have to pay... the democrats love to talk about the exchanges but intentionally left out the small print...

Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
When Obama and democrats said the health plans offered better benefits without elaborating what those benefits were... and that the cost to those who are more poor would be minimal without telling them about the 12k deductible they have to pay... the democrats love to talk about the exchanges but intentionally left out the small print...
Right. And the American public didn't think that maybe they should read the legislation themselves or actually ASK SOMEONE or LISTEN TO SOMEONE who HAD read the legislation.

Something this important and the LEADERS of this country were dishonest when presenting it to the public . . . makes my head spin.

And when those of us who HAD READ THE LEGISLATION got on forums like this and tried to explain that people had the WRONG IDEAS about it . . . we got jumped on and called liars and rightwing nutballs and Obama haters.

I have concluded that the average American is just plain lazy -- and will accept anything coming from a politician who "talks pretty." lololol

Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM

775 posts, read 1,260,354 times
Quote:
I watched his speech yesterday and knowing what we know now, was shocked by all the *minor* details (super high deductables, you can keep your plan) he left out. He is not forthcoming at all

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
I watched his speech yesterday and knowing what we know now, was shocked by all the *minor* details (super high deductables, you can keep your plan) he left out. He is not forthcoming at all
He is not forthcoming on this issue nor on hundreds of others.

But the President is not the only person who had responsibility for explaining ACA to the public. How about Nancy Pelosi, who rammed the legislation through the House?

Oh, that's right. She didn't read the legislation. How could I forget that . . .

Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just wondering where it is.

I thought that is what Candidate Obama promised when he got elected.

Free Healthcare.

So where is it. I went to the ACA website and I have to pay.

How on earth did you ever get the idea that the AFFORDABLE Health Care Act read "FREE" Health Care Act? Don't blame the administration because you can't process language any better than that.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:00 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How on earth did you ever get the idea that the AFFORDABLE Health Care Act read "FREE" Health Care Act? Don't blame the administration because you can't process language any better than that.
You'd be surprised just how many folks who voted for Obama thought it was going to be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies