Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Except for the fact he can never return to his own country.
It's a big planet and his celebrity will afford him a very happy existance elsewhere.

Marc Rich never came back to the US, not even after getting the paid up pardon from B.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Where did I write that I supported those leaks? Who did I support? Who was the Democrat who supported those leaks?
You blasted Republicans for criticizing them during the Bush administration, saying that we should know about the "atrocities" YOUR WORD, not mine..So again, why did YOU do a 180 and change YOUR opinion on leaked information? Can you just admit that you flip flopped?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You seemed all fine and dandy with the leaks of these "atrocities", just a few years ago..

Where was your outrage when GWB began this program?

Either Snowden is the criminal or GWB. Can't have it both ways. Which do you pick?

"And now we find out that Bush willfully launched a program that not only violates the sovereignty of dozens of nations, but also may have violated treaties that we have signed. This is as bad, if not worse, than Bush's lies in Iraq. For all intents and purposes, George W. Bush declared war on the rest of the world. And for that, by all rights he needs to be before the Hague.

As far as I'm concerned, Edward Snowden isn't the criminal here. The real criminal is George W. Bush."

Daily Kos: NSA spying program proves that George W. Bush is an international criminal

Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Only a moron would support treason. It speaks volumes about your character. Maybe the NSA needs to monitor your activities.
I can recall that Manning was accused of treason also.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Where was your outrage when GWB began this program?

Either Snowden is the criminal or GWB. Can't have it both ways. Which do you pick?

"And now we find out that Bush willfully launched a program that not only violates the sovereignty of dozens of nations, but also may have violated treaties that we have signed. This is as bad, if not worse, than Bush's lies in Iraq. For all intents and purposes, George W. Bush declared war on the rest of the world. And for that, by all rights he needs to be before the Hague.

As far as I'm concerned, Edward Snowden isn't the criminal here. The real criminal is George W. Bush."

Daily Kos: NSA spying program proves that George W. Bush is an international criminal
I supported the leaks then, even became a wikileaks mirror host for a bit, and I support them now.. I didnt flip flop like you did.. Once again WHY DID YOU flip flop?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
He was entrusted with many of his countries most sensitive secrets,he ultimately gave all that secret information to the world,,i dont see how this is a benefit to the nations security. We are now having the media tell us about the USA spying on other countries, whats else did he divulge? how many of these secrets that we dont hear about are benefiting our enemies? While some may view Snowden as a hero i think the guy is a self serving idiot who stabbed his country in the back.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
He'll be rembembered as a traitor and when apprehended ... and he, will, one day be apprehended ... he should face the possibility of the death penalty.
If the East Germans had enough of the Stasi and overthrew them, we will do so as well. Only the United Stasi of America will apprehend Snowden and make him (possibly) face the death penalty. I believe the United States of America will make a comeback and we will all remember what it means to be free and never again sacrifice liberty for a false sense of security.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Correction: The real criminals are George W. Bush AND Barak Obama."

Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM

624 posts, read 939,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How do you propose that he should have "raised awareness" without being so specific? What on Earth do you think he could have said or done that wouldn't get completely ignored outside of releasing the very specifics that he released?
He could have released limited information to establish his credibility and scare the pants off the people who could use scaring in our intelligence community, then addressed other issues more selectively and more broadly in a way that would let the public know the kind of thing that's going on without specifically endangering important and legitimate security operations or our relationships with speciic allies.

Or he could have communicated directly with the WH about the stuff he knows. I suspect he would have had everyone's rapt attention. Going through more proper whistleblower channels would have inevitably gotten plenty of news coverage without giving away details the public really doesn't need to know. Lord knows he has enough leverage to get heard by the people who really need to listen.

I don't get why anybody around here who thinks at least half of the public is stupid and reactionary would think we have any business knowing specific, sensitive information. And I don't think transparency should necessarily extend to every aspect of our national intelligence. Some of Snowden's revelations about surveillance within the U.S., fine. He's American and has a right to be seriously ticked about that, and we have a right to know. But stuff between our government and others is above our pay grade and comprehension, IMO. If he had concerns, mass media was hardly the most responsible venue for airing them. As it stands, he is playing God and Judge with stuff he can't possibly understand, likely risking lives and almost surely wasting a lot of money.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Therefore in your world, the next best thing is to disclose highly classified information concerning the security of US citizens to leaders of foreign nations, some of which, are our enemies. Great logic there!
What "highly classified" information did Snowden leak to "leaders of foreign nations?" Since you seem to know that it happened, you should clue us all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies