Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:23 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times

Advertisements

Oh darn, I love pollution. I was really hoping we could do away with all this environmental BS, I was looking forward to growing my third head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close...The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum (operated by the Doe Run Company) is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers...Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter."

End of an era: Last U.S. lead smelter to close in December | The Daily Caller

So, besides more people losing jobs, the cost of ammunition will go up (wonder if that means for the military, too).
I think you are confused as to the definition of the word "fatality"

Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I know someone who owns a business that uses lots of chemicals, and they (hate) the EPA. They literally want to be able to dump the chemicals they use down the drain outside their building. But its natural for business owners to have this attitude.

But think about all the pollution problems of the past where large corporations would just dump their waste in rivers (and 100% of the animals in the river would die.)

Or think about the bottom part of the Mississippi river its called "Cancer Alley." Without the EPA most areas around rivers in this country would be called "Cancer Alley."

Cancer Alley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess the EPA can over-regulate sometimes, but without the EPA we would live in a toxic wasteland.
this i agree with. we need some environmental regulation, and it does need to be balanced between the environment and business. as i say go too far one way, and the environment suffers badly, go too far the other way and business, and thus the people, suffer badly. there are technologies that are coming on line in batteries, among other areas, that are more environmentally friendly, but they are extremely expensive right now. for instance take that lead.acid battery out of your car and replace it with a lithium/ion battery, and you will cough up nearly $1000, as opposed to the $120 you would pay for a lead/acid battery.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this i agree with. we need some environmental regulation, and it does need to be balanced between the environment and business. as i say go too far one way, and the environment suffers badly, go too far the other way and business, and thus the people, suffer badly. there are technologies that are coming on line in batteries, among other areas, that are more environmentally friendly, but they are extremely expensive right now. for instance take that lead.acid battery out of your car and replace it with a lithium/ion battery, and you will cough up nearly $1000, as opposed to the $120 you would pay for a lead/acid battery.
I agree.

The liberals often take environmental regulations way too far (to the point where its stupid.)
And the conservatives often pull back environmental regulations (to the point where its dangerous.)

Unfortunately Americas liberals and conservatives are unable to see that each side has important ideas to offer. And then we only get one sides laws put into effect (when the correct thing to do is use a mix of liberal and conservative ideas at the same time.)

Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh darn, I love pollution. I was really hoping we could do away with all this environmental BS, I was looking forward to growing my third head.
Who said anything about getting rid the EPA....oh yea, that's a typical leftist lie..... Why don't you stop breathing, you know that dirty old nasty co2...... The left is amazing....

Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Lead turns out to be a lot worse than previously thought. In relatively low levels it hinders brain development in growing children which causes them to end up with reduced IQ. It's too bad the company couldn't keep their emissions of lead low enough, but blaming the EPA for common sense regulation of toxic chemicals is misguided. Here's an article. The ban on leaded gas actually resulted in a drop in violent crime Pb and Jail: New Research Ties Leaded-Gas Ban to Drop in Violent Crime

Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
the majority of the batteries that are used in vehicles are lead/acid batteries. Yep, from golf carts to construction equipment and locomotives, they all use lead/acid batteries. Even the Uninterruptible power supplies used by telephone relay stations use lead/acid batteries. Where is the lead going to come from to make new ones?
Including the batteries in idiotic lwnj's computers, smart phones, etc etc. Funny. They don't even realize they ARE what they claim to hate. LMAO at all of them.
They are also the fools who yap the loudest about sending jobs to China, yet use Made In China products every moment of every day.You seriously can't fix stupid

Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Including the batteries in idiotic lwnj's computers, smart phones, etc etc. Funny. They don't even realize they ARE what they claim to hate. LMAO at all of them.
They are also the fools who yap the loudest about sending jobs to China, yet use Made In China products every moment of every day.You seriously can't fix stupid
No... smart phones use lithium ion batteries not lead ones. And the EPA didn't ban lead production. This company just couldn't meet the regulations.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
No... smart phones use lithium ion batteries not lead ones. And the EPA didn't ban lead production. This company just couldn't meet the regulations.
Dale is right though..........you can't fix stupid.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Some simple Googling turned this up. The smelter has been in trouble for polluting the area since 2001 when Bush was president. Herculaneum Lead Contamination - DNR The company says they have technology to make lead cleanly, but it's not cost effective in Herculaneum. They think it can be at another location in America. Doe Run to shut Herculaneum lead plant at 2013 end | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies