Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 AM

525 posts, read 508,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Actually, I love it. It's my favorite thread so far.

Good work!
Well now that we've got that out of the way...let's move back to thongs!

Jk jk jk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I usually watch Maddow and Last Word on MSNBC a few times a week just to see what the other side is saying. Last night, Maddow had a fairly lengthy segment about Rand Paul plagiarizing from Wikipedia. Now, I do think that this is pretty embarrassing for Rand but let's prioritize our criticism.

On one hand you have the president of the United States telling American citizens a blatant lie about keeping health insurance plans they are happy with. A lie that he is being grilled on daily and of the utmost political relevance. The man told an outright lie..point blank.

Yet Maddow thinks it's more of an issue that Rand Paul's speechwriter copied something from Wikipedia. An offense that harms no one, nor does it cost them in any way.

I'm no media analyst...but I think I can pinpoint why their ratings are in the crapper.

How do you plagerize wikipedia? It is FREE information for PUBLIC consumption.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
I usually watch Maddow and Last Word on MSNBC a few times a week just to see what the other side is saying. Last night, Maddow had a fairly lengthy segment about Rand Paul plagiarizing from Wikipedia. Now, I do think that this is pretty embarrassing for Rand but let's prioritize our criticism.

On one hand you have the president of the United States telling American citizens a blatant lie about keeping health insurance plans they are happy with. A lie that he is being grilled on daily and of the utmost political relevance. The man told an outright lie..point blank.

Yet Maddow thinks it's more of an issue that Rand Paul's speechwriter copied something from Wikipedia. An offense that harms no one, nor does it cost them in any way.

I'm no media analyst...but I think I can pinpoint why their ratings are in the crapper.
Wait. A President lied? The next thing you will probably tell me is that a President claimed "Mission Accomplished" in the war in Iraq War, ten years before it was over. Or that a President claimed you need a court order to do a wiretap, when he knew he was doing warrantless wiretaps.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How do you plagerize wikipedia? It is FREE information for PUBLIC consumption.
Quote:
Public-domain content is plagiarized if used without acknowledging the source.

Copying from an unacknowledged source
Inserting a text—copied word-for-word, or with very few changes—from a source that is not acknowledged anywhere in the article, either in the body of the article, or in footnotes, the references section, or the external links section.
Maybe Rand Paul gave credit to wikipedia...

BTW...credit to wikipedia for the info above.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Wait. A President lied? The next thing you will probably tell me is that a President claimed "Mission Accomplished" in the war in Iraq War, ten years before it was over. Or that a President claimed you need a court order to do a wiretap, when he knew he was doing warrantless wiretaps.
Bush lied too. They're both dirtbags that have espoused moronic policies that have expanded government and caused more harm than good. The difference is that Obama campaigned on being different...he also campaigned on transparency.

Neither of which have come to any fruition.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
It's what she does ... comment on things. The Senator's dishonesty is worthy of discussion, given his 'holier than thou' stance. It's her show, her priorities. No different than the things Bill O'Reilly sometimes does which cause us to scratch our heads. She's a lot brighter than O'Reilly but a less popular entertainer.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
It's what she does ... comment on things. The Senator's dishonesty is worthy of discussion, given his 'holier than thou' stance. It's her show, her priorities. No different than the things Bill O'Reilly sometimes does which cause us to scratch our heads. She's a lot brighter than O'Reilly but a less popular entertainer.
Now that's an understatement!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Now that's an understatement!
I think it's debateable. She espouses a textbook liberal agenda and effectively serves as nothing more than a mouthpiece for the DNC yet for some unbeknowst reason people equate being a liberal with being intelligent far too often. When she is away from the comfy confines of MSNBC, on an open panel show she isn't nearly as articulate or thoughful. I'm not saying that I think she is an idiot, by any means but I'm not entirely convinced by her either. My disagreement with her politics has nothing to do with it my thoughts on her. I think Lawrence is a sharp guy and he puts up substative arguments for his side of the aisle.

Bill O'Reilly is a loudmouth and a blowhard...but he is lot more intelligent than he is given credit for.

Now...If you want to make the claim about Hannity...I'll support it all day.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The only dishonesty here is in your post. What a joke claiming someone who got info from wiki is plagiarizing. But then again anything to deflect from the last couple of big government administrations failures. So when there is no news its time to make news.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I think it's debateable. She espouses a textbook liberal agenda and effectively serves as nothing more than a mouthpiece for the DNC yet for some unbeknowst reason people equate being a liberal with being intelligent far too often. When she is away from the comfy confines of MSNBC, on an open panel show she isn't nearly as articulate or thoughful. I'm not saying that I think she is an idiot, by any means but I'm not entirely convinced by her either. My disagreement with her politics has nothing to do with it my thoughts on her. I think Lawrence is a sharp guy and he puts up substative arguments for his side of the aisle.

Bill O'Reilly is a loudmouth and a blowhard...but he is lot more intelligent than he is given credit for.

Now...If you want to make the claim about Hannity...I'll support it all day.
Maddow aside, I have heard Bill O'Reilly make way more of a fair share of idiotic comments, that even I felt embarrassed for him and I don't even like the guy.

As for Maddow, her education, experience and degrees give her a very good leverage for giving her views and opinions value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies