Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times

Advertisements

I know, just another anecdote,but they are starting to add up:

Obamacare: Unfair to the young middle class, punished enough already - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
That's a legitimate criticism of the bill, I'm afraid to say.

What the writer is living is what I first noticed when I looked at the unveiling of Covered CA. I kept looking for 'affordable' premiums and found that the best-priced ones would be way, way higher than what we have if my wife loses her job and we're forced to go onto the market.

Also, there's this very flawed assumption that millions of young PBR drinking hipsters and baristas are going to feel compelled to join the pool and that would, in theory, put millions into a new insurance pool. I suspect, however, that long before it gets to that point, the political reality is going to settle in really quick and force those congressmen who put this patchwork into place to scramble -- and their patience is only going to last long before this becomes a serious political nightmare for those who supported it. In turn, my gut says that this attempt to tinker with it under political duress will throw the whole thing into serious doubt.

Meanwhile, I could see millions of uninsureds refusing to do anything out of protest and calling up their congressman, which would probably force them to change parts of the law, which will then throw a quirk into the program's design.

The result? Nothing but people in the middle class forced out of insurance. The idea was a noble one. I think certain parts of Obamacare could work, but it was just stupid as hell to assume that in one fell swoop he could waive a magic wand and just fix the system. Part of why the system is so broken is because of its complexity. We need less complexity, not a mountain more of it.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
Anecdotes don't mean anything. There's no ratings in publishing or talking about positive anecdotes.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Anecdotes don't mean anything. There's no ratings in publishing or talking about positive anecdotes.
That's right, be a good little Kool-Aid drinker and keep that head planted FIRMLY in to the ground. I can't wait until this all blows wide open. Man, this place is going to be a riot, (meaning hilarious), when that happens. I suppose you lefty Obama shoe lickers will still try to find a way to defend this joke.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
The young middle class should have thought about that before voting for Obama again. I'm glad Americans are reaping the consequences of their decision. Ignorant sheep.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post

Some uninsured now get insurance.
Some previously insured lose it.

That's success?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
It would have been far cheaper to deregulate the system and set up a series of clinics based on existing charity systems. There was a time when people did not need health insurance because they could actually AFFORD to pay for doctors and hospitals themselves. But the Government took over medicine and with its thugs at the DEA made medicine outrageously expensive. The money wasted on middle east wars would be plenty to cover the reasonable medical expenses of all the down and out.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I know, just another anecdote,but they are starting to add up:

Obamacare: Unfair to the young middle class, punished enough already - latimes.com
tough luck Matthew Fleischer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Also, there's this very flawed assumption that millions of young PBR drinking hipsters and baristas are going to feel compelled to join the pool and that would, in theory, put millions into a new insurance pool.
well, not so much the baristas ...

it's more the single, childless 20/30 somethings earning $35k, $50k, $75k, who are expected to cut costs somewhere else , so they can buy insurance they don't currently need.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
tough luck Matthew Fleischer.

well, not so much the baristas ...

it's more the single, childless 20/30 somethings earning $35k, $50k, $75k, who are expected to cut costs somewhere else , so they can buy insurance they don't currently need.
They don't currently need it, but they almost certainly will need it at some point, and when they buy it, they will purchase it when the payout will be higher, without having contributed to the pool like those who have policies for years. That's the biggest problem with health insurance now, so I agree with Obamacare's agenda of pushing people to buy insurance. I also agree that many of the policies that have been lost were not really legitimate insurance policies; they were catastrophic insurance policies that, when you read the fine print, weren't really offering much to begin with. They might have offered peace of mind, but peace of mind and the reality of what really happens once somoene's confronted with the financial consequences of a major health catastrophe are sometimes (often times) vastly different. I agree with Obamacare in principle; I just think that they have failed - completely - in terms of implementing it and getting it started.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,330 times
80% of the country will be unaffected by Obamacare changes to insurance programs.

14% of the country will see their situation improved.

About 3% will see their premiums go up.

Most of those people had 'junk insurance' that did little or nothing when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies