U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Maryland
17,361 posts, read 7,771,041 times
Reputation: 5465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
For consumers whose health premiums will go up under new law, sticker shock leads to anger - The Washington Post

As the story points out, this is hitting a lot of self-employed and professionals who make too much to qualify for subsidies but not enough to absorb paying significantly more without feeling real pain. You know, the middle class.

That pretty much sums up dem policies: they pander to the poor, wink at the rich while they belittle them, and in the end screw the middle class.

And the news just isn't getting any better for Obamacare.
I'm glad they highlighted a 50 something DC lawyer for the poor. I'm also glad this probable liberal is paying more to insure the poor. She should feel good about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
2,719 posts, read 1,556,066 times
Reputation: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm glad they highlighted a 50 something DC lawyer for the poor. I'm also glad this probable liberal is paying more to insure the poor. She should feel good about it.
No one is suggesting she's poor. Most lawyers fall into the middle to upper middle. Paying $5k extra for health insurance for a self-employed lawyer who is not in the fabled 1% hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
7,748 posts, read 3,400,911 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No one is suggesting she's poor. Most lawyers fall into the middle to upper middle. Paying $5k extra for health insurance for a self-employed lawyer who is not in the fabled 1% hurts.
She was actually a great person to profile. The latest line coming out of the WH is that people just don't understand that Obamacare is better because they're too dumb to understand their current coverage. As a lawyer, I am sure this woman understands the policy she had perfectly well. Additionally, even though she is a lawyer, she works for indigent clients and would not be considered 'rich', another evil group according to the liberals. So, she's really the poster child for how Obamacare is hurting well-informed, middle class Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 PM
 
14,024 posts, read 4,222,298 times
Reputation: 3579
From the Times: Under Health Care Act, Millions Eligible for Free Policies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
7,748 posts, read 3,400,911 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
And millions more than that pay for those people getting their 'free' insurance. Someone always pays and with Obamacare, it's the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
 
14,024 posts, read 4,222,298 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And millions more than that pay for those people getting their 'free' insurance. Someone always pays and with Obamacare, it's the middle class.
What specific taxes will impact the middle class to pay for the ACA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
7,748 posts, read 3,400,911 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What specific taxes will impact the middle class to pay for the ACA?
Have you not been paying attention? The 'free' group is being subsidized through the premiums of those who pay. The addition of all of these 'free' policies has caused everyone's policies to increase substantially if you pay. However, the middle class, as usual, is getting the worst of it since they can neither self-insure (like the uber-wealthy) or utilize concierge services (fairly substantial increased cost). So, as those of us who were against Obamacare predicted, this has done nothing but cause costs to increase. Really, how did you expect to offer all of this 'free' insurance without making the middle class pay for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
 
16,175 posts, read 6,228,388 times
Reputation: 3278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I thought the left was stating that nothing was free? ANd those that stated this were stupid....

So, now it is free? Who's stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
 
14,024 posts, read 4,222,298 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Have you not been paying attention? The 'free' group is being subsidized through the premiums of those who pay. The addition of all of these 'free' policies has caused everyone's policies to increase substantially if you pay. However, the middle class, as usual, is getting the worst of it since they can neither self-insure (like the uber-wealthy) or utilize concierge services (fairly substantial increased cost). So, as those of us who were against Obamacare predicted, this has done nothing but cause costs to increase. Really, how did you expect to offer all of this 'free' insurance without making the middle class pay for it?
I think you are not paying attention.

Some policies are less expensive; some more and some the same. You can't make a blanket statement that all plans are more expensive. That's just not true.

There is an additional tax on the wealthy that covers the cost and a tax on "Cadillac plans."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
7,748 posts, read 3,400,911 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think you are not paying attention.

Some policies are less expensive; some more and some the same. You can't make a blanket statement that all plans are more expensive. That's just not true.

There is an additional tax on the wealthy that covers the cost and a tax on "Cadillac plans."
The Kool Aid is strong with this one. Seriously, are you actually trying to claim all of these subsidies are being paid for via taxes on the wealthy and Cadillac plans???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top