Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,908,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Absolutely not.

They should be allowed to hit the students parents.
um .. Why so?

Isn't it the schools these days that lay claim to raising your children?

Isn't it the schools that continually usurp the authority of the parents?

Isn't it the schools that encourage domestic rebellion against the parents?

IMO, it's the teachers and school administrators that might need a few light slams every now and again ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am discounting nothing. Even the most disruptive child can be disciplined. It just takes finding the technique that works. For example, use peer pressure. Every time the child acts inappropriately, punish the entire class instead of the disruptive child. Let the child's peers deal with the child's disruptive behavior. Another example, is by embarrassing them in front of their peers. It may be old fashioned, but there was a reason why wearing a "Dunce" cap while sitting in a corner of the classroom was used for so many years. The list of possible ways of instilling discipline is endless, and can be tailored to fit specific situations, and none of it needs to be physical.
You need to come teach here in Opa Locka in Miami.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 PM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Kids should not be hit.. if they mouth off , down to the principal. If they mouth off again at that teacher they should be thrown out of that class for good. Call the parents to let them know what the child did and why they will not be welcomed in that class again.

Let me see:

You've just marked yourself as someone who interrupts the Administration's day with non-educational concerns (which essentially means they have to stop talking to whomever they talk to all day on their Bluetooths. They also may have to break their concentration on their Fantasy sports league teams.)

By not allowing the student to return to your class (by the way, putting him out for disruptive behavior is considered a consequence) you are denying him his right to a free and appropriate public education and will get you sued. The school system will not back you up nor will your Teacher's Association (if any).

Old 11-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I am discounting nothing. Even the most disruptive child can be disciplined. It just takes finding the technique that works. For example, use peer pressure. Every time the child acts inappropriately, punish the entire class instead of the disruptive child. Let the child's peers deal with the child's disruptive behavior. Another example, is by embarrassing them in front of their peers. It may be old fashioned, but there was a reason why wearing a "Dunce" cap while sitting in a corner of the classroom was used for so many years. The list of possible ways of instilling discipline is endless, and can be tailored to fit specific situations, and none of it needs to be physical.

Jeezus, you'd last about a day in a classroom. Peer pressure does not work on the kids we're talking about. They are a problem precisely because they don't give a **** about peer pressure.

Embarrassing a kid in front of the class will get you trip to Teacher Jail. You may or may not be reinstated after investigation. Usually not.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,487,989 times
Quote:
I am discounting nothing. Even the most disruptive child can be disciplined. It just takes finding the technique that works.
Apparently paddling has never worked with any student or class.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My father is a retired schoolteacher and retired Lt Col in the army. I guarantee you he did not need a paddle to maintain an orderly classroom.

Matter of fact, he was hired largely due to his ability to maintain order and much beloved by his students - who approach me to this day.

I went to elementary school in AL. Teachers there paddled for any stupid reason. Got a question wrong on the test? That's one lick. Late for class? That's two. Chewing gum? Three. Male teachers paddled female students as long as they had a 'witness'. Please.

That was the public school. So glad my son had such different opportunities.
Precisely. All one need do is look to the military and how they instill discipline in their recruits. They do not beat them into submission, or use drugs to pacify them. If you want a tightly disciplined classroom, put a Drill Instructor in charge for a couple weeks.

Better yet, perhaps we should require all grade school and high school teachers to go through military boot camp before we allow them in the classroom.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Let me see:

You've just marked yourself as someone who interrupts the Administration's day with non-educational concerns (which essentially means they have to stop talking to whomever they talk to all day on their Bluetooths. They also may have to break their concentration on their Fantasy sports league teams.)

By not allowing the student to return to your class (by the way, putting him out for disruptive behavior is considered a consequence) you are denying him his right to a free and appropriate public education and will get you sued. The school system will not back you up nor will your Teacher's Association (if any).
Schools expel students for behavior related issues all the time. It then falls upon the parent to find a replacement school. I have a nephew by marriage who was expelled his senior year for urinating in a girls purse during study hall. I stress related by my brothers marriage. It is his wives nephew actually. Any way his parents had to enroll him in a school that would deal with such idiots and they had to pay.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Apparently paddling has never worked with any student or class.
I have no idea if it worked or not, but it certainly was never necessary or appropriate.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Schools expel students for behavior related issues all the time. It then falls upon the parent to find a replacement school. I have a nephew by marriage who was expelled his senior year for urinating in a girls purse during study hall. I stress related by my brothers marriage. It is his wives nephew actually. Any way his parents had to enroll him in a school that would deal with such idiots and they had to pay.
You've moved the goalposts, urinating in a purse would be gross misconduct, for which a student may be expelled.

As a note, your relatives are stupid. If the kid was under 18 (21 if he had an IEP) the school system was likley obligated to pay for the alternative placement.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
No. It belongs in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies