Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,475,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You need to come teach here in Opa Locka in Miami.
My teaching days are done. There are always going to be students who are disruptive and like to play games. Typically these are the more intelligent students who are simply bored out of their minds with the curriculum. The trick in this case is to find some thing the student finds challenging. Make the subject more interesting, and you will see a dramatic shift in behavior.

Unfortunately, that is not always possible considering the large classroom sizes these days. Teachers will try to help as many as possible in most cases, but there will always be some who slip between the cracks.

I am not trying to make excuses for teachers, I am just being realistic. Teachers are only human after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,851,904 times
^ We disagree but I respect your views.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,216,423 times
as long as parents are allowed to hit the teachers back, then yes.

You touch my kid and I'm going to give you a smack down, no questions asked.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,037,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
YES THEY SHOULD!!! Kids these days have absolutely no discipline. The kids are out of hand and extremely disrespectful. They need to be put in their place. If teachers were allowed to discipline their students, maybe our future generation of kids would be less stupid and would be more focused on success rather than social life.

I remember when I was in parochial school and if you got out line. The nuns would whack you over the knuckles with a ruler....OUCH Believe me you wouldn't dare get out of line next time!
The discipline issue began once liberals took control of the public schools in the 60's.

Whatever the left touches turns to mud.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
YES THEY SHOULD!!! Kids these days have absolutely no discipline. The kids are out of hand and extremely disrespectful. They need to be put in their place. If teachers were allowed to discipline their students, maybe our future generation of kids would be less stupid and would be more focused on success rather than social life.

I remember when I was in parochial school and if you got out line. The nuns would whack you over the knuckles with a ruler....OUCH Believe me you wouldn't dare get out of line next time!

I remember those rulers but it didn't cross my knuckles cause I was good lol But respect and discipline was never a problem in schools when I grew up. Today if a teacher hit a student then there would be a lawsuit. Respect and discipline should be taught at home. A teacher's job is to teach.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am discounting nothing. Even the most disruptive child can be disciplined. It just takes finding the technique that works. For example, use peer pressure. Every time the child acts inappropriately, punish the entire class instead of the disruptive child. Let the child's peers deal with the child's disruptive behavior. Another example, is by embarrassing them in front of their peers. It may be old fashioned, but there was a reason why wearing a "Dunce" cap while sitting in a corner of the classroom was used for so many years. The list of possible ways of instilling discipline is endless, and can be tailored to fit specific situations, and none of it needs to be physical.
You need a refresher course in bullying - the practices of teachers that encourage it in students and the types of practices that constitute teacher bullying. Clearly, you have never successfully managed a group of kids, including ones with major or even minor behavioral issues, for an extended length of time. What you are suggesting is not productive, for a variety of reasons, including having kids shut down. Teachers aren't just responsible for having a disciplined class, they have to also teach them.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
um .. Why so?

Isn't it the schools these days that lay claim to raising your children?

Isn't it the schools that continually usurp the authority of the parents?

Isn't it the schools that encourage domestic rebellion against the parents?

IMO, it's the teachers and school administrators that might need a few light slams every now and again ...

No. Are you a teacher or are you a parent who expects the school to discipline your child. You make these accusations so I'd like to see your proof.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 PM

442 posts, read 589,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Everyone has the right to self-defense. If a student gets physical with a teacher, the teacher certainly has the right to defend themselves. Conversely, if a teacher gets physical with a student, the student certainly has the right to defend themselves.

The point being, one is never in the right when they get physical. It does not matter if it is the student or the teacher, it is still wrong.
Agreed

Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,753,307 times
I'm not sure if allowing teachers to hit students is the answer, but something needs to be done about the unruly students in the classroom.

What we've been doing up until now obviously isn't working. It's time to try some different methods.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,753,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The discipline issue began once liberals took control of the public schools in the 60's.

Whatever the left touches turns to mud.
For the record, I'm liberal and I support corporal punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies