Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Stop with the personal attacks, please, accusing me of posting information that I know is false.

Wall Street and the White House might have an incentive to convince people that the economy is better than it actually is. (The media, on the other hand, is encouraged to play up bad news, which gets more attention.) But it’s an insult to the public’s intelligence to suggest that it could be tricked into thinking the economy is good just because the Labor Department says so. The government uses one set of numbers, while another shows the broader picture.

Look at this -- it attempts to put a spin on the Gallup poll (not very successfully) and is not unbiased, but a source you might find credible.
Is the unemployment rate really just a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It isn't personal. It's a characterization of the comments you're making. You have some reason why you're posting inaccurate information. I listed the possibilities, but I admit there may be other reasons why you're trying to dupe readers into the wrong understanding of the situation.
You probably don't read any of the links posted unless you know in advance that they will support your position, but you keep on accusing me of posting inaccurate information and of 'trying to dupe readers into the wrong understanding of the situation.'

This, again, is a personal attack. One can disagree and hold a differing opinion, but do not accuse people of intentionally trying to dupe anyone else.

See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
There was an article that had the unemployment rate and the unemployment pay out for November of 2007 and November of 2010. [ (unemployment rate/payout in 2007) * payout in 2010] = More than 17% unemployment. We were paying out for over 17% unemployment and calling it 9.8% The current 5.6% unemployment rate isn't acting like 5.6% unemployment rate did 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This, again, is a personal attack.
You seem inclined to say anything to act out against characterization of what you post as inaccurate and deceptive. I cannot account for your dogged insistence on your opinion, as cited, being a truthful depiction of the comparison I was referring to. I'll say it again, because I won't give your erroneous claims an unrebutted soapbox: Unemployment is the lowest it has been since President Obama took office - even lower than it was prior to the fiscal crisis precipitated by the previous administration. You can continue to spin your propaganda and we can go around the carousel again, or you can let me get the last word, or you can just agree to disagree agreeably. Choose one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies