Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:43 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Walmart is the next big retailer to announce Black Friday starts on Thanksgiving Thursday.
This year they are opening at 6pm, two hours earlier than last year.

We need to get rid of the label "Black Friday" because it hasn't started on Friday for a number of years now.
6pm on Thanksgiving Day. The masses will need to plan an early dinner so they can line up at the stores.

Personally I'm already tired of Christmas since I've been seeing/hearing Christmas crap in the stores since early October.
This is America. The only thing sacred is the dollar. Holidays don't matter. People don't matter. Tradition doesn't matter. Dollars matter. Period.

The sad thing is I'm sure a lot of these stores require employees to work through the holidays, without even the option to take off (other than quitting). Sure, some go on request first, but I'm sure that's not the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
welp, retail is retail.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What about them?
Restaurants have long been open on Thanksgiving. So have many drug stores, supermarkets, movie theaters, NFL stadiums, etc.

Further, this idea that people HAVE to spend the day at home with family reeks of Big Brotherism.
Not everyone has family to spend the holiday with or perhaps family is many miles away. Some people have toxic families that they have no desire to spend any day, let alone a holiday, with.
Why not do something productive instead?

This is our culture people, beneath the turkey and the football and the Hallmark movies, at the heart of who we are is capitalism. It's a little late in the day to decide that we don't want the free market to decide, don't you think?
Exactly! As a Registered Nurse, I've worked my share of Thanksgiving Days. Now someone will respond, "oh, that's medical necessity" and I agree, but it is what it is. So you have dinner before, or after, your shift. This year, my daughter a Physical Therapist, is working T-day, so we're having dinner after her shift. BFD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm in the market for a new TV but I'm going to wait until Friday to buy it. I mean can people have one day with their families?
[Mod cut]

One T-day, we were visiting my in-laws. I twisted my ankle going down their weird basement steps. I had to go to the ER. The dr. there than evening said she volunteered to work that day b/c she really doesn't like the holiday. The workers can all have dinner early, have an excuse to send the guests home or leave early themselves, and earn some money.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's easy for us to say, but what about the employees of said stores who can't just "not go to work" or they'll lose their jobs?

Personally, I think it's sick that these stores would open their doors on thanksgiving. The average guy has to give up time with his family while the fat cat CEO's and CFO's all eat a lavish meal and sit around lazily all weekend eating leftovers.\

People wonder what's wrong with people now-a-days? Look no further than examples like this. There is no family unit anymore. How could there be when everyones too busy shopping or working when they should be at home with family.
Shifts for Black fridays are requested with most stores, you can choose whether or not to work thursday night into friday morning or so on unless you are a manager, in which case your schedule is set by the time the store manager thinks they need you the most.

As for us regular folks, Working on the Thanksgiving is time and a half, trust me, we arent pissed, we knew what we were getting into when we applied for these positions.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This is America. The only thing sacred is the dollar. Holidays don't matter. People don't matter. Tradition doesn't matter. Dollars matter. Period.

The sad thing is I'm sure a lot of these stores require employees to work through the holidays, without even the option to take off (other than quitting). Sure, some go on request first, but I'm sure that's not the rule.

Isn't it ironic that Jesus was betrayed by a kiss and 20 pieces of silver? We'll all have to ask did Judas Iscariot (and America) really have GOD on his (our) side. We may be betting our souls on this very question!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If the masses were offended, they would not show.
What really astounds me is that so many really religious people are among those storming their doors. You are right. If nobody shows up they would go back to the "thankful" mode. I plan to be thankful for at least three days just as the pilgrims did.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's a non issue. Retail works know they won't off every day off that they want, and "family time" isn't limited to a couple days a year. People are making up crap just to justify their angry outbursts over nothing.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Idiots love the Kardashians. Idiots love Jersey Shore. And idiots line up at 4 am to go shopping for crap they don't need on the only holiday that had not been commercialized. Alas, this is America and idiots are free to do whatever they want.
Yep. I've never partaken of Black Friday/now Thursday. Ever. I plan to keep it that way.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'm Jewish, so no Christmas. I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving. I haven't shopped on Black Friday in a while either.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep. I've never partaken of Black Friday/now Thursday. Ever. I plan to keep it that way.
The real question is: Do you watch the Kardashians? That is the litmus test to determine idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies