Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM

19,050 posts, read 27,620,833 times

Advertisements

This is new to me. Just shows the value of "scientific" discoveries
After *Charles Darwin published his revolutionary "On the Origin of Species" in 1859, scientists scrambled to find fossil evidence of extinct human ancestors. They sought these so-called "missing links" to fill in the gaps on the timeline of human evolution. When archaeologist Charles Dawson unearthed what he thought was a missing link in 1910, what he really found was one of the biggest hoaxes in history.

Mod cut: Copyrighted material. Please see link for article on the Piltdown Man: http://givemeliberty01.com/2012/01/04/

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
ukrkoz

I googled your above post and found 839 sites with this exact same thing.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...n.&btnG=Search

This is what is called plagiarism.

Further, you post this with no comment of your own to indicate what point is being made.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
I take the original post as information, and found it interesting. Sometimes information in just interesting and has no real point.

Did you know a dragon fly was clocked at over 60 MPH, can catch their prey 95% of the time, eat 50 - 100 mosquitoes a day, can eat their own weight in 30 minutes, and are over 200 million years old as a family? They used to be over 2 feet wide.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted material has been deleted).

Indeed, it does. The revelation of Piltdown Man as a fraud was a scientific discovery. That's the end-product of the rigorous system of peer review in science.

You do know their is invariably fraud in all fields at times, right. Do you reject genetics because of Lysenko? Physics because of so-called perpetual motion machines peddled in the the past?

Apparently, you are making the case that because you can point to an instance of fraud by a paleontologist, all of evolution is false. Stop and consider your 'logic' for a moment, then see if you can understand how idiotic (sorry, there is no better word) that is.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 02:38 PM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed, it does. The revelation of Piltdown Man as a fraud was a scientific discovery. That's the end-product of the rigorous system of peer review in science.

You do know their is invariably fraud in all fields at times, right. Do you reject genetics because of Lysenko? Physics because of so-called perpetual motion machines peddled in the the past?

Apparently, you are making the case that because you can point to an instance of fraud by a paleontologist, all of evolution is false. Stop and consider your 'logic' for a moment, then see if you can understand how idiotic (sorry, there is no better word) that is.
It never even occurred to me that this was an attempt to debunk evolution.
If it is, it's pretty lame.

In fact, debunking evolution could only be done if all museums were mysteriously cleared of damning evidence on Halloween Night. At midnight. And religious symbols appeared in their respective spots.
That would about do it for me......

Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
I'm going to ask my pastor what my opinion should be on this. After I hear from him, I'll post my opinion.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It never even occurred to me that this was an attempt to debunk evolution.
If it is, it's pretty lame.

In fact, debunking evolution could only be done if all museums were mysteriously cleared of damning evidence on Halloween Night. At midnight. And religious symbols appeared in their respective spots.
That would about do it for me......
I thought that was it's purpose was from the beginning because of the thread title, "To Darwinists". If that wasn't the OP's lame attempt, then he/she would have entitle the thread, "Famous Frauds" or something similar.

I suspect that many, if not most, of the 839 sites that Grandstander found featuring this very same text are dedicated to debunking evolution, too.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
ukrkoz

I googled your above post and found 839 sites with this exact same thing.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...n.&btnG=Search

This is what is called plagiarism.

Further, you post this with no comment of your own to indicate what point is being made.
It's a violation of the TOS and forum rules.
I called ukrkoz on that a couple of days ago, in a different forum after several posters had gushed about how his post brought tears to their eyes.

The life and times of Darwin may be a topic for the History Forum, but his data and what he concluded from it is not.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
So what's the point???

From what little I've read, Darwin did not become particularly incensed over the controversies surrounding his theory, or the attacks upon it; Darwin was, first and foremost, a man of science -- no more and no less.

I have a nephew who is severely autistic; both his parents hold DVM degrees granted by Cornell and Penn. I do not attempt to understand how his parents resolve their use of "hard science" with a belief system which relies heavily on miracles and must, by the nature of our society, direct its appeals toward the most-impressionable. I've heard it suggested, usually by the more-strident and simplistic of the Christian Right, that the high incidence of autism is "God's Punishment" on the better-educated. This has not stopped my brother and his wife from embracing a Christian belief, and participating in activities where their education is far from the norm; it has helped them through one of the harshest challenges life can offer, and that is sufficient.

The point I seek to make here is that not only Christianity, but all the monotheistic Western religions, are so vague that any assertive personality with a cause is free to hijack them for his/her own purposes. That, in turn, lies at the center of too much of man's inhumanity to man.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-27-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM

216 posts, read 475,701 times
Very simple to discredit these religious nuts. Since they are literal believers in the Bible, ask them two questions. 'What is the age of the earth' and 'does the sun revolve around the earth or vice versa?' Correct answers completely contradict their dogma (brainwashing). I know an engineer who gets angry and can't answer, shows the power of indoctrinating the young minds early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies