Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa;32242399

And really, does everyone on the right of the aisle have medically underwritten policies? They act like they have never heard of such a thing. Group policies have covered maternity and BC pills from the 80s IIRC. This is nothing new. It increases the risk pool. [B
ACA is a group plan[/b].
I like the way you framed this. It put all plans on a more level playing field.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, it hurt me and what's that the Dems always say? We should vote for our own interests. Guess I'm just following that advice. While some of you on the left may consider people like me to be statistically insignificant, doesn't mean I'll just slink away and not voice my opinion on how this law has hurt me. Right now there are 100,000 signed up for Obamacare and 5 million policies cancelled. Call us a minority but it was obviously enough to highlight that this law is a bad law.
Well it helped me - a lot. You and I, we are paying a lot of attention because we are potential winners and losers in the game. But when I talk to my neighbors who for the most part work for big companies and such and are in open enrollment now, it is, for them, the same old same old. They don't really care unless they have a political axe to grind. For the vast majority out there, ACA has been mostly good stuff and some news about bad stuff that doesn't affect them.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well it helped me - a lot. You and I, we are paying a lot of attention because we are potential winners and losers in the game. But when I talk to my neighbors who for the most part work for big companies and such and are in open enrollment now, it is, for them, the same old same old. They don't really care unless they have a political axe to grind. For the vast majority out there, ACA has been mostly good stuff and some news about bad stuff that doesn't affect them.
For those on group policies, ACA hasn't affected them yet. So, I think it's not so much they have something 'good' or even 'bad' from it but rather they just haven't seen the effects. However, the Obama administration estimated ~50% of those group policies would be cancelled once the employer mandate kicks in. I consider the situation with the individual policies simply the precursor to the larger problem looming in the next year when the employer mandate kicks in.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You really are a small minority. Considering that about half of you are going to come out better with subsidies, you really are getting far more attention than your numbers deserve.
Hilarious. We the small minority are 100% of the people that Obama was talking to when he said "If you like your plan you can keep it. Period. No one will take it away from you."

Employees in employer group plans do not do the choosing, Medicaid recipients do not do the choosing, Medicare enrollees do not do the choosing. The only people who ever chose their own plan are the self-employed and other people in the individual insurance market. So Obama was only talking to us when he lied.

Great logic, anyway: there aren't very many of you, so go **** up a rope. What a humanitarian you are.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM

808 posts, read 662,736 times
Quote:
Oh we are of the same opinion. I don't why people are conveniently ignoring this fact.
because it is not what they are supposed to parrot.

They are also conveniently ignored the fact that narrowing the options as obamacare policies do will kill a huge number of cancer patients which had pretty good policies before; that the vast majority of people are not qualified for the subsidies, since the threshold of being considered "rich" is very low ( 46K for a single person, 65K for a family of two and 93K for the family of four); that obamacare will extremely narrow the possibilities of treatment for the majority of Americans - it is going to be worse than medicaid - and therefore the ER visits will skyrocket and that the only real beneficiary of all of this are insurance companies which got the legal way to rip-off the middle class and now have the government as IRS to be their profit guarantor

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The plan we had for the last 11 years and several procedures, hernia, septic colon, broken leg, stitches, colds, flu....

I would not call it junk. It was what we could afford and it worked for us.
Now, as of Dec. 31st, we have to pick a Bronze-Platinum plan.
The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now. The Silver plan is comparable in premium cost but co-pay and deductibles, with out of pocket, are double what we have now. The Gold plan is about what we have, but to get that same coverage and other aspects, is 50% more cost in premiums. No way I could ever afford the Platinum deal.

The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now.

Keep sounding off those talking points that make this seem trivial. It places the blame squarely where it belongs.
On a bill that had to be passed before you know what's in it............. Geee!!! Thanks, idiots

LOL of course the bronze plans are junk. Obama's calling your old plan junk because it doesn't cover Sandra Fluke's recreational sex.

The fact is, many employer-based plans (and most if not all of those for employees represented by unions) are the "Cadillac" variety, with great benefits and catastrophic care.

The bottom line is that I don't want Obama's affordable health care any more than I want the gub-ment's affordable housing.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Its difficult to visualize what these people know or understand.

One poster thought that if you were in a serious accident, in the hospital and didn't make a payment (while still there) that ACA cancelled your policy automatically and you had to pay the entire medical bill. Even though you had insurance coverage on the day of the accident.
The amount of misinformation about ACA is jaw dropping.

Murdoch /Fox has outdone themselves with online speculation and the ole " some people say... game.
Back when, I watched a few of Hannity's panels and the amount of misinformation that was floated was beyond over the top. It's a shame he chose to not use the forum to get to the facts and instead chose to be a part of the misinformation campaign.

The folks at MSNBC are not any better. Waving the Obama flag does nothing to communicate factual information to the viewers.

When one cuts through all the noise, it really comes down to addressing the high cost of premiums over the long term and in the midst of ongoing medical innovation and patents.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The plan we had for the last 11 years and several procedures, hernia, septic colon, broken leg, stitches, colds, flu....

I would not call it junk. It was what we could afford and it worked for us.
Now, as of Dec. 31st, we have to pick a Bronze-Platinum plan.
The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now. The Silver plan is comparable in premium cost but co-pay and deductibles, with out of pocket, are double what we have now. The Gold plan is about what we have, but to get that same coverage and other aspects, is 50% more cost in premiums. No way I could ever afford the Platinum deal.

The Bronze plan is junk compared to what we have now.

Keep sounding off those talking points that make this seem trivial. It places the blame squarely where it belongs.
On a bill that had to be passed before you know what's in it............. Geee!!! Thanks, idiots

LOL of course the bronze plans are junk. Obama's calling your old plan junk because it doesn't cover Sandra Fluke's recreational sex.

The fact is, many employer-based plans (and most if not all of those for employees represented by unions) are the "Cadillac" variety, with great benefits and catastrophic care.

The bottom line is that I don't want Obama's affordable health care any more than I want the gub-ment's affordable housing.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM

808 posts, read 662,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hilarious. We the small minority are 100% of the people that Obama was talking to when he said "If you like your plan you can keep it. Period. No one will take it away from you."

Employees in employer group plans do not do the choosing, Medicaid recipients do not do the choosing, Medicare enrollees do not do the choosing. The only people who ever chose their own plan are the self-employed and other people in the individual insurance market. So Obama was only talking to us when he lied.

Great logic, anyway: there aren't very many of you, so go **** up a rope. What a humanitarian you are.
you are talking to a leftist parrot. The left does not have either a heart or a brain.
so it is futile to talk logic.

some who have their policies cancelled now are clearly at a loss - but, but, but, I supported you

Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
For those on group policies, ACA hasn't affected them yet. So, I think it's not so much they have something 'good' or even 'bad' from it but rather they just haven't seen the effects. However, the Obama administration estimated ~50% of those group policies would be cancelled once the employer mandate kicks in. I consider the situation with the individual policies simply the precursor to the larger problem looming in the next year when the employer mandate kicks in.
Is there an employer mandate now? Who is making big employers provide coverage this year, last year, last decade? Why would they be providing insurance now when they don't have to and not later when they do? It simply defies logic. All big employee group policies are now ACA compliant so the issue we have with you and others is not applicable Everything that I have seen is that next year's changes will have much less disruptive potential than this year. Employers right around 50 employees will probably try to change hours etc to avoid insurance, but eventually they have to give that up to grow their businesses. That will come in July if it comes at all because of the "look-back" provisions. The big impact that I hear coming is in 2018 when there will be big, big penalties on top of the line policies. Most of the shop floor grunts won't be affected by that but the professionals may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.