Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times

Advertisements

Why is alcohol the drug of choice in many nations,?
Other than the fact that it is so popular and illegalizing it would bring a mass political revolt and what not.
I cannot understand why drunkards think they are so mightier than the other people in prison for substance possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:42 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Default Being drunk vs being high vs being simulated vs hallucination.

A gin and tonic tastes far better than a dope and tonic. In fact, most drinks are pretty tasty in moderation.

Alcohol is metabolized far easier than crack and meth. One drink is out of your system in an hour. In moderation, there aren't serious health issues with alcohol. Meth can be instantly addicting and fatal.

Pot is stupid. They did a study a few years back with fake dope. Basically a placebo. The kids all said they were relaxed and had pain relief.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Pot is stupid. They did a study a few years back with fake dope. Basically a placebo. The kids all said they were relaxed and had pain relief.
Not as stupid as this post, I think. You do realize that they could have used any drug, with similar effects, right? The same experiments have been done with alcohol, with pain relievers, and even with anti-depressants. Phenomena like the placebo effect and the subject and/or observer expectancy effect are very real, but they do not mean that the chemical in question can or does not have very real physical and psychological effects.

As for alcohol, I am not a big fan of it, nor do I see why others are. It tastes terrible, smells terrible, and gives me an extremely dysphoric and unpleasant "high" that takes hours to wear off. When I see people who are drunk I cannot put down a sense of intense physical revulsion. There are very few things more disgusting to me than the sight, sound, and smell of a drunk person. I am just going to come out and be honest with you all; I think the consumption of ethanol is probably one of the most base things a person can do. I've never seen anything good come of it in my life. And all that drinking means more pissing as well! Who can stand that? With cannabis on the other hand, I feel happy, relaxed, calm and at peace with myself, and without the sensation that my higher reasoning faculties have been obliterated. No dizziness or bathroom breaks either! What's not to like?

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 11-14-2013 at 12:28 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 12:34 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
What's not to like?
The fact that there are people that go to prison over this.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
I don't drink but a few times a year. I don't like alcohol, either. The taste, the smell, the effects are all something I'd rather do without. I'm a lightweight, and after two or three drinks I lose my sense of insight and judgement.
I much prefer THC.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
When it comes to alcohol, I really only like beer. Occasionally I'll drink some wine, but I'm not a huge fan of it, and it's usually reserved for holidays. Hard alcohol anymore makes me gag. Even when mixed it seems to hit me a lot quicker than beer. Of course that is probably because I don't drink it that often. In short, and IMO most alcohol tastes like s***!

As for cannabis. IMO the buzz is better, and quite frankly you don't feel like crap when it wears off. If they legalize it, I'd probably stop drinking beer, period! In regards to hallucinogens.... I've never tried them. The idea of being on a 12 hour trip such as with LSD, or shrooms does not appeal to me, and would more than likely freak me out. Finally, meth, coke, and heroin and it's legal opiate cousins are all highly addictive, and has the potential to kill with overdose (as does alcohol). Those substances do not appeal to me either. Never have. Never will.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
I've had this question posed to me before-if you had to give up alcohol or cannabis, which would you choose?

It's not even a contest-I'd stop drinking. I love wine and beer, but both have nothing on weed.

Liquor is a hard drug IMO and I try to stay away from most.

It simply makes no sense for the majority of people that cannabis is outlawed.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Being drunk vs being high vs being simulated vs hallucination.
I've been drunk. I've been high. I've even hallucinated. But I've never been simulated...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
A gin and tonic tastes far better than a dope and tonic. In fact, most drinks are pretty tasty in moderation.

Alcohol is metabolized far easier than crack and meth. One drink is out of your system in an hour. In moderation, there aren't serious health issues with alcohol. Meth can be instantly addicting and fatal.

You don't get hangovers with pot.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I've had this question posed to me before-if you had to give up alcohol or cannabis, which would you choose?

It's not even a contest-I'd stop drinking. I love wine and beer, but both have nothing on weed.

Liquor is a pretty hard drug IMO and I try to stay away from most.

It simply makes no sense for the majority of people that cannabis is outlawed.

No it doesn't make sense. However; the tide is turning. I don't believe in prohibition, however; when you think about it in regards to alcohol vs cannabis, they made the wrong substance illegal. Again I don't think either should be illegal, but in comparison, alcohol definitely wreaks more havoc on your body than cannabis does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies