Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:11 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Tell that to the libertarians.
Just tell us what a nuclear power plant failure will cost, and how we make everyone whole if catastrophe happens.

Can't do that? Then perhaps people who believe in real governance (being responsible) would never put the nation at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 PM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Great, now as a person, you need to learn to understand, that no matter WHAT you predict, or how you analyze, as far as statistics and models go, they don't mean ANYTHING, because the issue at stake is how politicians behave and the decisions they make.

YOU obviously know nothing about that - they NEVER follow plans and they NEVER make decisions based on sound judgment. They are like babies... They consume voraciously and produce the same outcomes.
Yours is an unverifiable hypothesis. The mere existence of a functioning government plan devalidates your cynicism.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yours is an unverifiable hypothesis. The mere existence of a functioning government plan devalidates your cynicism.
LOL!!!!

Well, you have a universe of proof in front of you, yet you reject it. How can I possibly overcome such efforts?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Tell that to the libertarians.
They would only tell you to study the relationship between Tesla and Westinghouse.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Just tell us what a nuclear power plant failure will cost, and how we make everyone whole if catastrophe happens.

Can't do that? Then perhaps people who believe in real governance (being responsible) would never put the nation at risk.
Nuclear power is safe, affordable, renewable, and clean. It does have risks but they are worth the reward of economically and environmentally sustainable independence.

How do you propose premium be assessed for a regional "national catastrophe" insurance? You surely realize how ignorant this sounds. But as I've said in the past and I've argued with people like you since college...libertarians exist only in the theoretical...not unlike communists. You people have a hundred and one "what ifs."

Old 11-16-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
LOL!!!!

Well, you have a universe of proof in front of you, yet you reject it. How can I possibly overcome such efforts?
I've never said that government isn't inefficient...but your hypothesis is gone if even one program operates how it should.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Nuclear power is safe, affordable, renewable, and clean. It does have risks but they are worth the reward of economically and environmentally sustainable independence.
How do you know that?

Quote:
How do you propose premium be assessed for a regional "national catastrophe" insurance? You surely realize how ignorant this sounds. But as I've said in the past and I've argued with people like you since college...libertarians exist only in the theoretical...not unlike communists. You people have a hundred and one "what ifs."
Yeah, when take on the responsibility of dealing with people's lives, taking their earnings and spending them, then, yeah, if you're a responsible type, you DO deal with "what if". It's a terrible responsibility and it's your job to first... DO NO HARM to anyone.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I've never said that government isn't inefficient...but your hypothesis is gone if even one program operates how it should.
How do you define "as it should"?

"working as designed" or "doing what should be done as it should be done"?

Nothing the government does works as it should. Often it works "as designed" meaning the design was horrendous from the start.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
How do you define "as it should"?

"working as designed" or "doing what should be done as it should be done"?

Nothing the government does works as it should. Often it works "as designed" meaning the design was horrendous from the start.
Again........heads I win, tails you lose.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
I've had a bit of a political epiphany as of late and I'm not sure if I know how to accurately label myself anymore. I feel like I've always sort of been a moderate Republican or a centrist...but I've been told from random people that I'm more to the right than a centrist but more left than a moderate Republican.

So here is what I think...lable what I am.

Taxes: I think we should have a flat tax at 25% with limited deductions. The capital gains taxes should remain at 15% to incentivize investment and capital risks. Corporate taxes at 25% as well...limit deductions and work to create regulatoins to manage off shore tax evasion.

Banking Regulation: Create stronger regulations to manage the shadow banking sector...CDS, CDO, Etc.

Ways to address recessions: Rebate checks to citizens. Put the money in the hands of the people. This is particularly useful when aimed at the poor because they are less-inclined to save these tax refunds...they will spend them which will stimulate growth. The Bush Admin issued tax vouchers which had a moderating effect on the early 2000's recession and made it much more acute than it would have been otherwise.

Military: Scale it WAY back. Do we really need to outspend practically every other nation thrice over? We need to scrutinize the military as hard as we scrutinize domestic programs for spending cuts.

Foreign Policy: Close as many overseas bases as possible, safely. Stay out of foreign affairs. Let the UN address these issues.

Healthcare: I've vascilated on this one a lot. I've read a lot lately on healthcare and based on my
experience with our healthcare system and the system I used while studying abroad in Austria (single-payer)....I prefer the Austrian system. Their taxation isn't remarkably higher than ours and their Ministry of Health is their central negotiation body and it is remarkably efficient with handling their costs. The healthcare system in Austria is remarkably efficient and succeeds at holding costs down far better than ours. So...based purely on my experience with these two systems only...I choose the Austrian one.

Social Issues: Pro drug legalization/taxation, pro gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-legalizatoin of prostitution. My basic premise is...if you ain't hurtin' anyone and each party is a willing and legal consentor...go for it.

Education: Tax vouchers for parents...empower parents to pick better schools than our failing public system. We've tried forcing money into this system for years...It isn't getting better and more money just isn't the answer. Parents should be able to opt out and use their "share" of the tax dollars for vouchers so that they can send their kids to the school of their choice.

Social Security: It should be means tested and serve as a true social insurance. There is no reason that wealthy people should pull from social security. If you don't need it...you don't get it. The eligibility age needs to be raised as well. We live longer these days.

Well, those are all the issues I can think about off hand. If you need more to accurately label me...ask and I'll try to address it.

I would classify you as boring since you appear to have not noticed that many of your positions are poorly thought-out, highly subjective and self-contradictory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies