Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

"Thanks to a multimillion-dollar federal contract, Guantanamo Bay prisoners can enroll in seminars to learn all about basic landscaping and pruning, calligraphy and Microsoft PowerPoint while the U.S. figures out what to do with them. Prisoners also can get in touch with their artistic sides. “At a minimum, the art seminar shall include water color painting, charcoal sketching, Arabic calligraphy, acrylic painting and pastel painting,” contract records reviewed by The Washington Times state."

They also get life skills classes on Microsoft Office software at basic, intermediate and advaced levels, nutrition classes, horticulture, English and a library.

Gitmo good life: U.S. spends millions on landscaping, art classes for terror detainees - Washington Times

And the good part is, I guess, no student loans to pay off when they go back to terrorism once released. But hey, what the world needs now are terrorists who can paint flowers, make wedding invitations and do a PowerPoint presentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:21 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
"Multi-million dollar federal contract"

Who got this contract, again?

Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
i thought Obama closed gitmo! he said that was one of the first things he was gonna do. I cant believe it is still open. I am sure he is working on closing it. he keeps all his promises!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Yeah, they get some reading materials and things that interest them. The only thing they need to do for it is be arrested and detained without trial indefinitely, endure torture whenever it is felt needed, and live in Cuba...where the heat and humidity is pretty much unlivable. Sounds like a paradise.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i thought Obama closed gitmo! he said that was one of the first things he was gonna do. I cant believe it is still open. I am sure he is working on closing it. he keeps all his promises!
I don't think so.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well for a place that has been on the verge of being closed for 4.5 years now it's getting a lot of expensive renovations.
Starbucks, state of the art hospital and now classes for prisoners with a nice small 1:20 teacher/student ratio.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Yeah, they get some reading materials and things that interest them. The only thing they need to do for it is be arrested and detained without trial indefinitely, endure torture whenever it is felt needed, and live in Cuba...where the heat and humidity is pretty much unlivable. Sounds like a paradise.
Maybe you missed it...they have air conditioned cells.
And many people consider living in the tropics paradise.
Look at Florida as an example.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
I say release those prisoners in Washington. Let the prisoners do what they do best (raise a family) in the area where all the politicians are located.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:32 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
It's a ridiculous waste of money, we have plenty of high security prisons state side, meanwhile they are also flying lawyers for the defense back an forth to Guantanamo at millions of dollars. They should be tried or released, I think 10 years is enough time to build a case.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Gitmo compared to a mud hut? hmmmm a cot and 3 squares.
Yeah they got it rough. No women to burn to death, stone or humiliate. Oh the humanity of it all.
Personally I say send them home. I honestly don't care if they kill each other in their own country it isn't our business anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies