Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's become so common to cry "racist" that most people now ignore it. Too bad these kids don't know that.

A University of California Los Angeles professor recently came under fire from a number of students for what they described as racist behavior. According to professor emeritus Val Rust, the entire controversy arose from his effort to instill in his students a higher grammar proficiency.

UCLA]UCLA Protesters Call Good Grammar Racist Protesters Call Good Grammar Racist
So I take it you graduated from a better university than UCLA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How do we even know they are black? UCLA is barely 2.5% black....I googled the story and every single story was posted on a racist website(Stormfront, Angry White Men, etc, etc). Clearly, this isn't huge news, but conservative white men who feel the need to attack other races, specifically blacks.
My question, why is it racist?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:11 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Sounds like the issue stemmed from students performing poorly. That's the next generation for you. Everyone gets a medal, everyone is a winner. When someone does not get his or her medal, then it must be someone else's fault. Blame racism, blame the rich, blame global warming. The zero accountability generation.
Some up the Obama-generation that quite well.

A year ago I actually had to argue two students that hard work increases opportunities and your chances for success. Of course these students wear Obama shirts.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's become so common to cry "racist" that most people now ignore it. Too bad these kids don't know that.

A University of California Los Angeles professor recently came under fire from a number of students for what they described as racist behavior. According to professor emeritus Val Rust, the entire controversy arose from his effort to instill in his students a higher grammar proficiency.

UCLA]UCLA Protesters Call Good Grammar Racist Protesters Call Good Grammar Racist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So I take it you graduated from a better university than UCLA?
Interesting, he neither insults the quality of UCLA nor mentions his own education. Yet you say that in order to do a combined ad hominem attack/strawman argument to divert away from this topic.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How do we even know they are black? UCLA is barely 2.5% black....I googled the story and every single story was posted on a racist website(Stormfront, Angry White Men, etc, etc). Clearly, this isn't huge news, but conservative white men who feel the need to attack other races, specifically blacks.
Huh, I googled it and I got the school newspaper as the first story: Students defend professor after sit-in over racial climate | Daily Bruin

Clearly this isn't a national story, but you seem to be using an ad hominem attack here: people that care about universities preserving standards for all students are KKK members/sympathizers.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:00 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
You're racist for trying to teach students.
You're racist for pointing out the story.
You're racist for creating computers.
You're racist for everything.

Shut the hell up.

The only racists I see around here are the people who are constantly throwing out their racist card. It isn't all about you, get the hell over yourselves.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The thing people don't understand is that African-American Vernacular English is not "English with bad grammar." It is actually a completely separate language with its own grammatical structure -- and this structure is consistent. So these are graduate students, and if they got that far, they obviously know how to speak. They are just using a different dialect. The linked article, and the article it links, do not give enough information. Assuming a graduate professor is correcting AAVE that does not need to be corrected, that is racist.

My ancestors faced the same discrimination. Sicilian speakers are mocked, and almost all of them learn standard Italian to avoid the mocking. In fact, Sicilian now only survives among the elderly and second-generation American/Canadian/Australian speakers and is completely dying. People didn't understand that Sicilian is not inferior, just different.
The sooner these students realize that their ghetto gibberish will never be spoken in the board rooms of Fortune 500 companies, the better off they will be.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
The thing people don't understand is that African-American Vernacular English is not "English with bad grammar." It is actually a completely separate language with its own grammatical structure -- and this structure is consistent. So these are graduate students, and if they got that far, they obviously know how to speak. They are just using a different dialect. The linked article, and the article it links, do not give enough information. Assuming a graduate professor is correcting AAVE that does not need to be corrected, that is racist.

My ancestors faced the same discrimination. Sicilian speakers are mocked, and almost all of them learn standard Italian to avoid the mocking. In fact, Sicilian now only survives among the elderly and second-generation American/Canadian/Australian speakers and is completely dying. People didn't understand that Sicilian is not inferior, just different.
you have this all wrong: yes, if they want to use their form of speech among themselves that is fine, but in public, when being educated, out in the work force, etc. everyone needs to learn to speech correct English. Little things like, the latest, in the past 10 years or so: me and him, instead of he and I are not even slang, but not correct either. What would you say if the profession corrected the kids for putting the "me" first?

Old 11-23-2013, 05:44 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You're racist for trying to teach students.
You're racist for pointing out the story.
You're racist for creating computers.
You're racist for everything.

Shut the hell up.

The only racists I see around here are the people who are constantly throwing out their racist card. It isn't all about you, get the hell over yourselves.
You`ve never seen a post from a Birther? I find that hard to believe.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:11 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
The thing people don't understand is that African-American Vernacular English is not "English with bad grammar." It is actually a completely separate language with its own grammatical structure -- and this structure is consistent. .
If you say that often enough some people will believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies