Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Apples to oranges. Safeway is a private entity. It doesn't take money from people under force of law - but considering out earlier discussion about the convenience store, it's obvious that you don't understand the concept of voluntary exchange.
As clueless as ever. We have a voluntary income tax system in this country as well, as you probbaly don't know. Meanwhile, the fact that Safeway is a private sector entity does not in any way diminish the force of law that will be brought down upon your sorry head if you try to walk out without paying for a cartful of groceries. Safeway is not a food pantry. Indeed, you will see the force of law invoked more quickly and more bluntly by Safeway than you will by the IRS.

Quote:
If that were the case, we'd have a choice as to whom we paid our taxes to, and those entities would compete for tax revenue.
Countries compete, but no matter which one you live in, you do not have a choice as to whether to eat. You will buy groceries. The name of the purveyor is immaterial. You will buy, and you will pay. Under force of law.

Quote:
Bank fraud is when they misbehave with our money, which we allow them to hold in trust for us. Fiduciary responsibility is in the same vein, an obligation imposed upon someone who is managing other people's money.
Right, and people go to jail for it. This is because -- contrary to your nonsensical assertion -- private entities DO indeed have an obligation to us to be good stewards of our money.

Last edited by fairlaker; 12-05-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Cite the Consitutional clause that grants authority to the federal government to force American citizens into a healthcare insurance plan. You won't, because you can't. No such clause exists in the Constitution, thus, no such authority is granted to the federal government.
LOLOLOL!!!

But it is undoubtedly true that that which is implied is as much a part of the Constitution as that which is expressed. As said by Mr. Justice Miller in Ex Parte Yarbrough, 110 U. S. 651, 110 U. S. 658: "The proposition that it has no such power is supported by the old argument, often heard, often repeated, and in this Court never assented to, that when a question of the power of Congress arises, the advocate of the power must be able to place his finger on words which expressly grant it. The brief of counsel before us, though directed to the authority of that body to pass criminal laws, uses the same language. Because there is no express power to provide for preventing violence exercised on the voter as a means of controlling his vote, no such law can be enacted. It destroys at one blow, in construing the Constitution of the United States, the doctrine universally applied to all instruments of writing, that what is implied is as much a part of the instrument as what is expressed."

-- Justice David Brewer, Opinion of the Court, South Carolina v US (1905)

The cited case of Ex Parte Yarbrough is from 1884, and the same sentiment carries back through the Commentaries of Justice Story in the 1830's, to such seminal cases as McCulloch v Maryland and Marbury v Madison, and on into the Federalist Papers.

The Peanut Gallery is so often s-o-o-o-o out of touch.

Last edited by fairlaker; 12-05-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Very believable, just look at the Greenbrier resort. A bunker was built under one of the wings in the early 60's. I for one believe it, I just don't think it has sinister connotation though, it's just an underground complex to save the elite.. oh I mean politicians if the SHTF.
Continuity of operations. Many organizations develop COOP plans.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
That you can waste money.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
That a sound economy requires that consumer spending is 50% of the GDP.

Sounds more like a third world country that can't make anything. Meanwhile, the economy of a country that closely resembles the US in culture and freedom, Germany, is very heavily in manufacturing and is booming.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:31 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
It's called "catching up". And it seems that you had no reply to any of them. Struck dumb twelve times in a row.
Nah, Laddie. Struck smart enough to realize how futile it is to try to reason with a single-minded ideologue.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post

Sounds more like a third world country that can't make anything. Meanwhile, the economy of a country that closely resembles the US in culture and freedom, Germany, is very heavily in manufacturing and is booming.

^^^ How many different ways could I expound upon this topic? The USA is but a service country. The sad aspect is we are servicing ourselves rather than manufacturing for export or domestic consumption. A slap in the face is we outsource some of our service jobs. How often have you tried to contact someone for customer service and get a representative in Mexico, India or the Philippines?
And people wonder why our economy has tanked....

Old 12-06-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
LOL! Who would you rather have spending the money instead of consumers? Corporations? Government? Foreigners? Those are pretty much the only choices.

Quote:
Sounds more like a third world country that can't make anything.
Making things is not part of GDP. It's part of National Income, over on the other side of the ledger of the National Income & Product Accounts.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the economy of a country that closely resembles the US in culture and freedom, Germany, is very heavily in manufacturing and is booming.
US manufacturing dwarfs that of Germany, and only their much larger public sector keeps personal consumption expenditures there to about 57-58 percent of GDP.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Nah, Laddie. Struck smart enough to realize how futile it is to try to reason with a single-minded ideologue.
Futility is derived from lack of counter-argument. Stack up some facts. Arrange and defend theses contrary to mine. You can't.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:31 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Futility is derived from lack of counter-argument. Stack up some facts. Arrange and defend theses contrary to mine. You can't.
As you will. But I can because I'm obviously more experienced and far less single-minded than you but it would be fruitless so why should I bother? Besides, even being on the near approach to 70 and retired, I still have more important things to do with my time. Sorry about yours! You seem incapable of comprehending anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies