Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
SNIP
US manufacturing dwarfs that of Germany, and only their much larger public sector keeps personal consumption expenditures there to about 57-58 percent of GDP.
Manufacturing per capita:

Germany - $6853

USA - $5263

A little dated but not much has changed. Sort of like most of your comments.

Well, make that all of them.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 AM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
Seniors give more to the economy than they are take.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
We have a voluntary income tax system in this country as well
You're starting to sound like those Branch Paulinian nuts who claim that the 16th Amendment is null & void due to some supposed technicality in the ratification process. I'm almost tempted to grab a beer and let you explain this one to me.

If income taxes were voluntary for income earners, tax evasion wouldn't be a criminal offense, nobody would choose to pay, and Willie Nelson (for one) wouldn't have had a significant portion of his assets confiscated.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the fact that Safeway is a private sector entity does not in any way diminish the force of law that will be brought down upon your sorry head if you try to walk out without paying for a cartful of groceries. Safeway is not a food pantry. Indeed, you will see the force of law invoked more quickly and more bluntly by Safeway than you will by the IRS.
It's funny that you brought that up again, because I never disputed that fact.

Quote:
Safeway is not a food pantry.

Congratulations, you finally got one right! Their website confirms this, stating "We do not currently accept any government subsidized program cards (i.e. Oregon trail or EBT cards)"
Safeway - shopping help payment receipt

Quote:
you do not have a choice as to whether to eat. You will buy groceries. The name of the purveyor is immaterial. You will buy, and you will pay. Under force of law.
This tangent is quite odd, and I find it amusing that you have used it to once again prove yourself a liar.
No American citizen is legally compelled to buy groceries. One can choose to grow one's own crops, and raise one's own livestock. One can also choose to trade or barter for food with other individuals.

You seem to have a strange notion that human needs necessitate some form of interface with the government.

Quote:
private entities DO indeed have an obligation to us to be good stewards of our money.
An entity's fiduciary obligations are to its investors, not to the general public at large.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Manufacturing per capita:
Germany - $6853
USA - $5263
Per capita? Hahahha! Too bad Obama stopped all that deportation, I guess. We have roughly four times the population of Germany and China has roughly four times our population. I guess Germany must REALLY dwarf China when it comes to manufacturing then, eh? Here's a clue -- markets don't care about population. Price, quantity, and quality, yes...population, no. Nothing but clumsy of you to have even mentioned the concept.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You're starting to sound like those Branch Paulinian nuts who claim that the 16th Amendment is null & void due to some supposed technicality in the ratification process. I'm almost tempted to grab a beer and let you explain this one to me.
It's really just a way to illustrate how far out of the loop most people are. The income tax is a voluntary system because the taxpayer figures out how much tax he owes, rather than having some central authority send you a bill that you are obligated to pay. That's what the word "voluntary" means in this context, but the actual context of taxes is totally foreign to most people.

Quote:
Congratulations, you finally got one right! Their website confirms this, stating "We do not currently accept any government subsidized program cards (i.e. Oregon trail or EBT cards)"
Perhaps you don't know what a food pantry is. And the Safeway website continues from where you left off..."cash, gift cards, personal checks or store charge accounts." That's because they are talking about their home delivery service.

Quote:
This tangent is quite odd, and I find it amusing that you have used it to once again prove yourself a liar. No American citizen is legally compelled to buy groceries. One can choose to grow one's own crops, and raise one's own livestock. One can also choose to trade or barter for food with other individuals.
I'll repeat myself. You do not have a choice as to whether to eat. The choice between shopping at Safeway or Kroger is not a choice. The choice between farming and grocery shopping is not a choice. You are spending in order to eat. Eating is no less mandatory than taxpaying.

Quote:
You seem to have a strange notion that human needs necessitate some form of interface with the government.
Yes, even you untamed stallion wannabes are actually tethered to government in everything you do. No man is an island and society is just another word for government. Get used to it.

Quote:
An entity's fiduciary obligations are to its investors, not to the general public at large.
That depends on whose money they are playing with, doesn't it? Go back and read your prior posts.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quantitative Easement is not and will not cause inflation..

Inflation is only ~2-3%..

The ACA will provide "affordable health care for everyone"..

We are in the midst of a sustainable economic recovery..

Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
LOLOLOL!!!

But it is undoubtedly true that that which is implied is as much a part of the Constitution as that which is expressed. As said by Mr. Justice Miller in Ex Parte Yarbrough, 110 U. S. 651, 110 U. S. 658: "The proposition that it has no such power is supported by the old argument, often heard, often repeated, and in this Court never assented to, that when a question of the power of Congress arises, the advocate of the power must be able to place his finger on words which expressly grant it. The brief of counsel before us, though directed to the authority of that body to pass criminal laws, uses the same language. Because there is no express power to provide for preventing violence exercised on the voter as a means of controlling his vote, no such law can be enacted. It destroys at one blow, in construing the Constitution of the United States, the doctrine universally applied to all instruments of writing, that what is implied is as much a part of the instrument as what is expressed."

-- Justice David Brewer, Opinion of the Court, South Carolina v US (1905)

The cited case of Ex Parte Yarbrough is from 1884, and the same sentiment carries back through the Commentaries of Justice Story in the 1830's, to such seminal cases as McCulloch v Maryland and Marbury v Madison, and on into the Federalist Papers.

The Peanut Gallery is so often s-o-o-o-o out of touch.

I knew you couldn't do it. Statists always rely on case law, because that is all that supports their positions.

The fatal flaw of the Justice's opinion is the assumption, in the absence of Constitutional proof, that the Framers intended for the government to enjoy any "powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution". This assumption can only be made if one is content to ignore Sections 8 through 10 of Article I, as well as the entire Bill of Rights - the Ninth and Tenth Amendments in particular. In fact, the notion that the government should enjoy implied powers renders moot the entire Constitution.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
It's really just a way to illustrate how far out of the loop most people are. The income tax is a voluntary system because the taxpayer figures out how much tax he owes, rather than having some central authority send you a bill that you are obligated to pay. That's what the word "voluntary" means in this context, but the actual context of taxes is totally foreign to most people.
If that were the case, taxation would be on the honor system, and there would be no such thing as an IRS audit.

Voluntary, adjective: done, given, or acting of one's own free will.

Quote:
I'll repeat myself. You do not have a choice as to whether to eat.
I never disputed that point. Eating has been mandatory by biological necessity since man first walked the Earth.

Quote:
The choice between farming and grocery shopping is not a choice.
It certainly is. People can choose to do what humans did prior to the advent of the grocery store - produce their own food, or barter & trade with those who do so.

Quote:
Eating is no less mandatory than taxpaying.
As I said above, eating has been mandatory by biological necessity since man first walked the Earth. By contrast, taxpaying is mandatory only when triggered by the execution of a taxable transaction while subject to the jurisdiction of a taxing authority - and has been so only since the time when a human conceived the idea of taxation and wrote it into law.

Quote:
No man is an island and society is just another word for government.
Your claim is disproved by the fact that mankind coexisted within societies before the idea of government was ever conceived.
And society is not "just another word for government," it is "the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community."

Quote:
That depends on whose money they are playing with, doesn't it?
They are "playing with" the investors' money. That is why, as I said before, the entity's fiduciary duty is to the investors who have entrusted their money to the entity's management, thus creating the fiduciary relationship.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 AM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
A slow website is on the same order of magnitude and importance as getting us into a totally needless war in Iraq.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 5,512 times
There's a nursing shortage. Uh, where? Nobody's hiring despite the job listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.