Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:35 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't think that would be a factor that a foreign army would consider that important.
Wow...

Just Wow...

Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
I think it highly irrational to suggest that any modern foreign army would seek to invade The United States with nothing more than soldiers equipped with personal arms. Which means that, in the era of modern warfare, this would necessarily be escalated to a nuclear conflict. Either the other country would begin with a nuclear strike, causing the US to respond in kind; or the US would engage in a preemptive nuclear strike once it realized that the other country was mobilizing for an attack and was unresponsive to diplomatic efforts to prevent that attack. Either way, the use of the weapons held by private citizens would be the equivalent of throwing rocks at a tank. Best to save your Glocks to ward off zombies when the nuclear holocaust takes root.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
wolverines!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm not sure about making an invasion much harder, but it certainly would make holding the country much more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't think that would be a factor that a foreign army would consider that important.
An invading army (Red Dawn type invasion) isn't going to happen, a government attacking the US would attack the military and infrastructure. Our government (or troops under our governments control, such as UN troops) are the forces we will find on the streets of our cities and towns, and the average citizen will be considered the enemy.

People the believe this stuff are nuts, the US is just too damn big to have an 'occupying' force. The only government that has the resources to do that is the US government, from our military, National Guard, and Law Enforcement agencies in every city, town, and hamlet in the country.

You have noted that our government is working to militarize your local police department haven't you? If not, then why the hell not, PAY ATTENTION

Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
wolverines!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the original, the remake is just horrid.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm not worried about a foreign army (unless you are talking about invited troops wearing UN arm bands), I'm worried about our military under the control of a government that has no respect for the US Constitution, our rights, or even our life.

I believe that most of the 'boots on the ground' members of US forces would refuse to take up arms against US citizens, I have no such belief about UN forces from other countries.
And you'd probably be wrong there too as they're smarter than you are. They're fully aware you life isn't all that much better than theirs and worse in some cases so why would they risk their lives to come mess up yours?

Silly stuff.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Invade? Sure they could invade. But....lets be realistic here...keeping any part of the US would be exceptionally hard without killing everyone. WAY too many guns. Toss in people willing to use chemical weapons, and knowledgeable enough to create them, and I have to say it would be crazy to contemplate it.

Those saying it wouldn't be a factor clearly do not have an understanding of the challenges involved.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Any invading army would be well aware of all the guns. That's why they would use anthrax or sarin.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
People in the U.K. I've heard from seem to think we have arms everywhere here, and of course after the Andres Breivik incident in Norway and Port Arthur in Australia , they have seen what happens when gun legislation is enacted nationwide. They don't like it.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Anyone can invade, holding what you've taken is the challenge. The US military can hardly contain third world insurgents in Afghanistan, how well do you think an invading force would do in the US with hundreds of millions more guns and gun owners?
That is a good point. I assume if another super-power wanted to invade the US, with fighter jets, nuclear powered submarines, a well trained and massive military that isn't shy about using nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons ... an invasion would be a real possibility. That so many millions of civilians are armed is in fact a credible argument in favor of an armed citizenry.

On the other hand, the idea of such a thing happening in the lifetime of anyone reading this post is almost nil. Why would a foreign power want to even risk invading the US when it can subordinate us by other means, such as economically or politically? Do you think China or Russia wants to colonize the US, when they could just control our banks and corporations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
You can always tell who the liberals are on threads like these. They have the negative, defeatist mentality.
You seem to cling to tired old stereotypes of what a "liberal" is and isn't. You have a caricature in your mind of what a liberal is. Surprise! Many of us are very pro-Second Amendment and gun owners. It's sorta like saying all conservatives are anti-gay. Some issues transcend liberal/conservative and Republican/Democrat paradigms.

I do believe, however, the fact that there are so many firearms out there and so many citizens that are armed is NOT what is keeping the US safe from invasion. It is our superior armed forces that is protecting us. The Pentagon is protecting us from invasion. If the US wanted to invade, say, Malaysia ... do you think it can be stopped if the entire adult population of that country possessed a pistol, a handgun, a knife, and/or machete? As mentioned earlier, occupying that country over the long run might be more troublesome than merely invading it. Capiche?

C'mon! Let's get back to reality!

Last edited by Clark Park; 11-30-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies