Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I'm not jealous of people with college degrees, why, I know several. They make less money than I do and too many of them are stuck in cubicles all day. The surveyors have fun though, if the weather is OK. And there is the guy who makes a lot of money but he has to go to Afghanistan to do it.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't feel like you have to go to college if you don't want to. It has been sold to a generation of young adults as the only path to success and it simply isn't required. The guy keeping your local ISP going is making more than most college folks and he doesn't doesn't have an " IT degree. " He studied for some industry certifications, which is what the IT department really wants.
It's not all about money with some people. I have a dream job in mind, and I'd take half of what I make just for the opportunity to do it.

I didn't get my degree because I wanted to make a lot of money. I wanted to work in foreign service and I needed a degree in SOMETHING just to get an internship. Turns out that I never made it (life's detours), but having the degree has still helped.

In any case, it's an IMPROVEMENT if you actually learn something. Most people know and understand that you don't always need a degree to make a living, but they want the options that having a degree gives you.

At the end of the day, having a degree will always be better than not having one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Can it keep the jobs from going to other countries?

Apparently not.
No, it encourages it.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
[quote=andywire;32441021]

Quote:
Geez, conservatives (which I consider myself to be) seem to believe the government should have no business in the training department. Except... Businesses have done a terrible job of allocating money for training in the past 10 years.
Why should they? They pay taxes and the government promises to provide training. Duhhhh.

Quote:
Many of the skilled trades programs have also been scrapped in the HS curriculum due to expense. Well, now employers are whining about the difficulty of finding these workers. Wonder why
Well, we all know that reliance on the most efficient, capable, constructive organization in the world ( our governments) always results in perfect outcomes, right?

Perhaps, what we need to do is get government OFFICIALLY out of the "job training" business so that everyone needs to count on doing the training themselves.

Quote:
In reality though, skilled trade programs (particularly manufacturing) are extremely costly, not many people sign up, and not many people can be trained at one time. It's easier for a vocational center to cancel their welding or machining program (which holds 12) and replace it with a baby sitting class or something (which can train many more). The plan looked good on paper, but here we are today...
Which is why "third party paid training" is generally useless.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:47 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No shame in losing? That's a new one.

If you could get an empty, vapid GOP candidate in the White House, you'll take it. In fact, you just tried it in 2012.

Nothing wrong with people going to college if if they aren't 'college material' so to speak. Going to college is better than not going. At least it shows that one wants to learn more.

I just don't get why people on CD are constantly ripping people for wanting to go to college. If they don't get anything out of it, they'll quit and move on. But they'll still be better off for learning things that they didn't previously know.
Unless the two or three semesters leaves them deep in debt.

If the government is going to underwrite the entire student loan industry they should have standards. It isn't fair to send an unprepared kid to college, suck him into the debt trap, and then wash him out with nothing but a student loan payment in the name of "things they didn't previously know".

After two semesters, if progress isn't made and the grades are bad, there shouldn't be any additional federal money for loans.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't want to live in a country where someone else decides how much education I can pursue or which careers I can involve myself in.
No, thanks.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't want to live in a country where someone else decides how much education I can pursue or which careers I can involve myself in.
No, thanks.
Agreed! That's what's done in Germany and many European countries.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:09 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Lot to like about traditional apprenticeships. Certainly sounds better than outsourcing/offshoring "education" to India. The devil is always in the details as the saying goes.
CORE: Making Children Stupider Around The World | Stop Common Core Illinois
quote:
“CORE is India’s largest global education company with presence in US, UK, India, Singapore, Middle East, Hong Kong, Africa and the Caribbean”

The global agenda of the 21st century is set around economy and trade, with manufacturing shifting from the west to the east, employment landscape would immensely change at both ends. In order to sustain their economic growth, developed as well as developing economies need to intensify their human capital formation. Not surprising then, nations across the world are increasingly investing in education for continued development of their human capital, quantitatively as well as qualitatively…
Furthering its growth plans in India, it is aiming to set up Model Schools under Public Private Partnership model, participate in School Development Programs, intensify Teacher Training programs, and operate Vocational and Skill-based training centers.
For year 2009, the global spending on education was USD 3.93 trillion with US contributing just over a third of it at USD 1.33 trillion. Globally K-12 continues to be the largest segment forming close to half of the total education spend, followed by the higher education that is just over a third of the total market.
Core continued its strong growth momentum, in spite of global slowdown. During the financial year, the company’s revenue grew by an impressive 50.1% to `16,379 million ($16.3 billion)

Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Can it keep the jobs from going to other countries?

Apparently not.
The idea of creating these jobs in America is to sale products in America. It's like the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord (two of the most American vehicles on the road today) built by Americans working for a Japanese company in order to sale products to Americans.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, thanks.
No one decides for you what career you peruse in Germany and you can go as far in education as you can qualify for. Even students who don´t qualify for the upper level schools have options for higher learning if they are capable. What you study is up to you.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
No one decides for you what career you peruse in Germany and you can go as far in education as you can qualify for. Even students who don´t qualify for the upper level schools have options for higher learning if they are capable. What you study is up to you.
They start "qualifying" kids at age 10. If you don't pass the test then, you don't get to go on to the college track, right? You don't think that's a little young?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies