Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And Lincoln suspended habeus corpus, Thomas Jefferson unilaterally committed the United States to the Louisiana Purchase, and George W Bush's signing statements were a litany of why the laws didn't apply to him.
Well then back to my original question.

Is there any way Obama could serve a third term short of a national emergency ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Since the Democrats endorse lawlessness from their President, I trust you'll keep your mouth shut when the next Republican does the same. Deal?
I don't make deals with haters.

I also don't endorse lawlessness from any President.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,920,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

No. And it would have to be a national emergency of a very extreme nature, because our prolonged election process actually paves the way for the transition. We even managed to re-elect Lincoln despite a Civil War.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:
You totally deflected there and turned this into "All Presidents use EOs".

Here's my original post you commented on:

Is there anyway for that to happen short of a national emergency at election time ?
I don't think there are any other loopholes to serving a third term.

Congress said no to the Dream Act and Obama found a way around that legally I might add.
Obama invaded Libya via a Friday night memo and used that 30 day rule.
Obama has used EO's to enact climate change initiatives through the EPA bypassing Congress.

He has found ways, legal ways, to bypass or alter the laws without needing the approval of Congress.
So you just wanted to state what Obama has done and not compare it to any other president, got it. Also, the executive orders were legal actions that any president is allowed to do...though you are allowed to disagree with those executive orders all you want.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:

No, not without changing an amendment. There will be no third term from Obama. There will however be another Democrat serving another two terms.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why are idiots so willing to vote an idiot to a third term? Are they afraid of being called a racist if they don't, or does it go deeper.

I don't think 'racism' was the driving force behind the repeal of the 22nd amendment.

if you read the article -- which i know most of you didn't -- they talk about how this guy has been trying to repeal the 22nd amendment for a long time, and it has nothing to do with Obama.

it also talks about how a variety of people have supported the legislation in the past -- including Ronald Reagan.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't think 'racism' was the driving force behind the repeal of the 22nd amendment.

if you read the article -- which i know most of you didn't -- they talk about how this guy has been trying to repeal the 22nd amendment for a long time, and it has nothing to do with Obama.

it also talks about how a variety of people have supported the legislation in the past -- including Ronald Reagan.
Yeah, well Reagan, the big "anti-government" advocate, loved being president and wanted to keep on doing so.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 AM

78,546 posts, read 60,749,385 times
This old chestnut surfaced back in 2007 and also back in 1999.

As 2016 get's closer the conspiracy nutjobs will start back up with the "they will declare martial law and put us in FEMA camps" to keep Obama in office blah blah blah. Same as they did for Bush, Clinton and Reagan....

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,405,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I said Romney would defeat Obama. Logically, he should have done so, as we had the worst president in US history as his opponant.

However, I now know and appreciate that most Americans are idiots who reflexively vote for democrats, regardless of performance or effect on the nation.

As long as we have-

1. high unemployment
2. more poor people
3. more people on foodstamps
4. more people on disability
5. more illegal immigrants
6. more idiots and a declining national IQ

- we will always have democrat politicians. Given current trends, I think that democrats can breathe easy while the nation falls into ruin. Our fate is that of Detroit- a liberal utopia with predictable results.
Your open condescension of Americans is pretty appalling, and I think is a reflection of your true character.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,415,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Your open condescension of Americans is pretty appalling, and I think is a reflection of your true character.
well, this is how politicians view americans

which is why they say and do the things they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies