Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times

Advertisements

They just said that in Rio de Janeiro they have a heat wave, the temperature heat is about 50°C (120°F). Seems these are times of extreme weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,488,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They just said that in Rio de Janeiro they have a heat wave, the temperature heat is about 50°C (120°F). Seems these are times of extreme weather...
When did they supposedly say this?

It is currently 86°F in Rio de Janeiro.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
Looks like Florida gets some of that polar vortex..
Capital of Florida colder than capital of Alaska - Wilmington Conservative | Examiner.com

Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When did they supposedly say this?

It is currently 86°F in Rio de Janeiro.
On the news here. It is already evening there now, 7:30pm, during the day they had 95 to 100, the 120 degrees were felt as I said. And it will get hotter during the next couple of days...

Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That is not surprising. Alaska is currently enjoying a heat-wave that typically happens in January. Temperatures may reach as high as +50°F or +60°F briefly, before dropping below freezing again.

In either case, it is barely above freezing in both Tallahassee and Juneau.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,393,740 times
I don't know. I realize we need to be more mindful of taking care of our precious resources. We need to drive more fuel efficient cars - but driving one that plugs into a source requiring fuel to create power to recharge the batteries doesn't seem like "clean energy"... Yes, we need to recycle, but it took us decades to figure out recycling newspaper was stupid because of the toxic ink we washed off it and then stored in barrels under some desert. Now we use soy ink and that's better... We should use cloth bags for groceries and are proud we don't use plastic bags. But wait we then go to the store and buy plastic garbage bags, so wouldn't re-using make more sense? And why is it better to kill trees and use paper garbage bags? Yeah, they decompose, but now so do many of the plastic bags!

It's all very complicated but some folks prefer screaming at anyone who questions the politically correct official dogma. In the 60's there were posters everywhere by the (then) Liberals that said "QUESTION EVERYTHING!" I'm stunned at how intolerant the once-tolerant democrats have become in any collegial conversation on a topic upon which they hold a different opinion.

No, dear Liberal friends, those who question are not stupid. Many are mensa, many are highly intelligent and choose to keep questioning. The rabid screamers are descendants of the same people who killed Galileo for daring question the dogma of the day that declared the sun revolved around the earth. We don't learn if we don't question and discuss. If I say "I don't buy that argument, can you give me data?" I'm merely asking for data that hasn't been scrubbed. I'm open to new information. All too often I get spittle coming in my direction and a rabid personal attack. It really shows how deeply ingrained the propaganda machine has become.

I just don't buy that we tiny humans are going to destroy the earth. We may make it inhabitable for humans and we seem to be on a crash course to do that very thing. But good ol' Gaia will go on and on and on with us and without us.

Every time I start to believe we are so powerful that we control our destinies and the ebb and flow of the atmosphere, I think of the Japan Tsunami, the Indian Ocean Tsunami, Mt. St. Helens, the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano, and the mother of all lessons that we are mortal and weak (long but fascinating and very worth the watch)

Vesuvius and Pompeii

Did these events not cause more destruction in hours than the entire world population can cause in a year? We will be dealing with the pollution from Japan for years to come. Yeah, humans built the stuff that is floating in the water, but does that mean we should all go back to living in mud huts and communicating with drums? Will you give up your iPad, your iPhone, your comfy chair, your "natural fiber" clothing, your AC and heaters? Really? Go try it for a year and then come back and report in ...

So many do-gooders who have great ideas on how we can stop this trainwreck or that problem only want OTHER people to make the sacrifices. (Yes, we do, too, have to bring up dear Mr. Gore... who has done nothing to reduce his considerable footprint...)

Why so cynical? Because of the dire warnings in 1970 that the world would be completely covered in ice by 2000 -- or was that completely covered in tropical rain forests? I forget ... the dire warnings in 1950 that had us hiding under our desks in school once a week... the dire warnings at the turn of the 19th century (for those who skipped school, that's the end of the years that ended in 1899...) and on and on and on. My guess is at the end of 999AD there were warnings about Y1K.
Quote:
Be responsible. Pick up your trash. Don't overuse products that harm us or the earth. Don't be a moron and think you are the only person who matters. Give a hoot, don't pollute. Clean out your carburetor. Walk instead of drive. Carpool. Recycle - Re-use - Renew. And take a deep breath. Your stay on this spinning ball is way shorter than you realize. Are you SURE you want to spend it all arguing? Love, Your Mother (Earth)
Quote:
PS. Remember to wear clean underwear in case of an emergency. They could find your body in a cave in 2,000 years!

Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM

"I just don't buy that we tiny humans are going to destroy the earth. We may make it inhabitable for humans and we seem to be on a crash course to do that very thing. But good ol' Gaia will go on and on and on with us and without us."

Um, what do I care about the Earth once it has become uninhabitable to humans? To me as a human, humans are basically all that matters on Earth...

Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I don't know. I realize we need to be more mindful of taking care of our precious resources. We need to drive more fuel efficient cars - but driving one that plugs into a source requiring fuel to create power to recharge the batteries doesn't seem like "clean energy"... Yes, we need to recycle, but it took us decades to figure out recycling newspaper was stupid because of the toxic ink we washed off it and then stored in barrels under some desert. Now we use soy ink and that's better... We should use cloth bags for groceries and are proud we don't use plastic bags. But wait we then go to the store and buy plastic garbage bags, so wouldn't re-using make more sense? And why is it better to kill trees and use paper garbage bags? Yeah, they decompose, but now so do many of the plastic bags!

It's all very complicated but some folks prefer screaming at anyone who questions the politically correct official dogma. In the 60's there were posters everywhere by the (then) Liberals that said "QUESTION EVERYTHING!" I'm stunned at how intolerant the once-tolerant democrats have become in any collegial conversation on a topic upon which they hold a different opinion.

No, dear Liberal friends, those who question are not stupid. Many are mensa, many are highly intelligent and choose to keep questioning. The rabid screamers are descendants of the same people who killed Galileo for daring question the dogma of the day that declared the sun revolved around the earth. We don't learn if we don't question and discuss. If I say "I don't buy that argument, can you give me data?" I'm merely asking for data that hasn't been scrubbed. I'm open to new information. All too often I get spittle coming in my direction and a rabid personal attack. It really shows how deeply ingrained the propaganda machine has become.

I just don't buy that we tiny humans are going to destroy the earth. We may make it inhabitable for humans and we seem to be on a crash course to do that very thing. But good ol' Gaia will go on and on and on with us and without us.

Every time I start to believe we are so powerful that we control our destinies and the ebb and flow of the atmosphere, I think of the Japan Tsunami, the Indian Ocean Tsunami, Mt. St. Helens, the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano, and the mother of all lessons that we are mortal and weak (long but fascinating and very worth the watch)

Vesuvius and Pompeii

Did these events not cause more destruction in hours than the entire world population can cause in a year? We will be dealing with the pollution from Japan for years to come. Yeah, humans built the stuff that is floating in the water, but does that mean we should all go back to living in mud huts and communicating with drums? Will you give up your iPad, your iPhone, your comfy chair, your "natural fiber" clothing, your AC and heaters? Really? Go try it for a year and then come back and report in ...

So many do-gooders who have great ideas on how we can stop this trainwreck or that problem only want OTHER people to make the sacrifices. (Yes, we do, too, have to bring up dear Mr. Gore... who has done nothing to reduce his considerable footprint...)

Why so cynical? Because of the dire warnings in 1970 that the world would be completely covered in ice by 2000 -- or was that completely covered in tropical rain forests? I forget ... the dire warnings in 1950 that had us hiding under our desks in school once a week... the dire warnings at the turn of the 19th century (for those who skipped school, that's the end of the years that ended in 1899...) and on and on and on. My guess is at the end of 999AD there were warnings about Y1K.
If they merely presented their evidence and told the American people that the overall net increase in the surface temperature of the planet has been 0.51°C (0.918°F) over the last 130 years, the American people would go "ho hum" and be completely apathetic, and rightly so. Therefore, in order to foster fear and panic in the American people liberals use hyperbole and flat out lies to achieve their goals.

The entire "runaway greenhouse effect" nonsense is a deliberate and blatant lie, and they know it. However, it did cause Congress to increase regulations, impose new taxes and fines, and lowered the standard of living for everyone in the country.

Hopefully, especially after all the lies Democrats spewed about Obamacare, people will wise up and realize that the Democratic Party does not have the people's best interests in mind and cannot be trusted to represent them.

Liberals consider a deliberate lie in order to achieve a goal that further deprives people and lowers the standard of living to be a "noble" lie, and therefore "morally" justifiable. Liberals believe that people are too stupid to know what they want or what is "good" for them. They feel completely justified in their fascism.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,587,698 times
01/08 Luckovich cartoon: Chilled out | Mike Luckovich

Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,104,324 times
Climate and weather are two separate things. Global warming deals with climate; low temperatures deal with weather. If the people discussing do not know the difference, then the discussion is not intelligent and a monumental waste of time.

That's all I want to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies