Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well good for you, people get weirdly offended when they find our everyone isn't the same as them. I say Merry Christmas for the same reason I say bless you when someone sneezes. Neither for me is religious related, just repetitive reflexes that I have been doing all my life.
There is no harm or social faux pas in wishing someone who is not a Christian a Merry Christmas. Christmas has a clear secular aspect to it whether the devout want it to or not. How many non-Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day? In the southwest, we celebrate a Mexican revolutionary holiday (I think, see most of us don't even know what it is about) on May 5. One does not have to be Mexican, or Irish, or Christian to have a Merry Whatever.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,367,187 times
I guess they're referring to the war being waged by marketers who take every true meaning out of Christ's birthday (and His life) and replace it with a mad frenzy to make as much cash as they can. I guess they're still trying to make Jesus pay retribution for his attack at the temple.

Or are they referring to the push-back against those marketers, who insist on playing Christmas carols for 1/10 of the year, and usurping other holidays that might lie in close (or not so close) proximity to December?

OK, we've lost Thanksbuying Day. I guess Veteran's Day is next.

Gimme a break! If there's a "war on Christmas", it's because "Christmas" started it, and the other holidays are trying to put up a defense.

It's only the beginning of December, and I already am sick of it.

Thanks marketers!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Black Friday and the shenanigans that ensue because of abject greed are more of a threat to Christmas than anything Faux News can pull out of their collective asses.

A note to my fellow Christians, stop the victim mentailty and actually DO what Jesus taught us.

You want to feel the Christmas Spirit? Volunteer at a homeless shelter, help wrap toys for the undeprivileged kids, "adopt" a impoverished family for Christmas.

I volunteer time at a homeless shelter, and the gift I get from doing that is more valuable than anything anyone can buy.

Jeeez, the annual Merry Christmas v Happy Holidays flap that is worth absolutely nothing.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It's that time of year when Fox News drags out the dead Santa to beat him more in public with their annual War on Christmas!

War on Christmas - Fox Nation

Instead of watching Fox, maybe you should avail yourself of the many internet news sites. I guarantee you, you'll find a passel of articles addressing that "war on Christmas."

Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM

89 posts, read 206,398 times
Culture wars are stupid. If you need a shop clerk's greeting to reaffirm Christmas, you need to re-examine your own faith. And if someone wishing you a Merry Christmas freaks you out, you should chill out and not automatically think Christians are trying to indoctrinate you. I just don't care about this anymore.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Christmas is Christ's mass. A birth of a savior for all mankind.

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Some time in the past, that's what it was for many people. These days, there are only a few left who truly see it as Christ's mass. Most pay lip service in church while having indulged in horrendous, out-of-control consumerism for the weeks prior to this holy day. Never mind the un-Christ-like behavior the exhibited throughout the entire year. For them, Christmas is as detached from Christ as it is for secular, atheist, and miscellaneous other revelers - with the slight addition of trying desperately to delude themselves that it still has any deeper meaning.

All around me, I see very few people who express joy at celebrating their proclaimed saviors birth. What I do see are throngs of people desperate to get the best deals and feeling pressure about for whom they need to buy presents, how many presents they need, how much they should cost, etc. I see people dreading to spend time with their families, too.

For most people, Christmas is nothing more and nothing less than a consumer orgy. I, for one, refuse to participate in it just like I refuse to participate in Black Friday and Cyber Monday nonsense. For me, Christmas is a time to spend with my nuclear family and a few, select, close friends, to quietly and calmly focus on the love we share and the relationships we have without having external forces constantly interrupt us. It is a time to share each other.

I truly like Christmas - but I like it for the sentiment and not the stuff.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not about you, it is about the person you are addressing. It matters what they are. You are greeting someone else, giving your wish for them to enjoy their holiday, not yours. When he told you that you can say Merry Christmas in his store, that was your clue to say "Well, then you have aMerry Christmas". When you said you are not Christian (a tad tacky IMO), then he should have said, "Oh, then Seasons Greetings".
No. I responded with "happy holidays" which should have sufficed. Instead, he took it further by informing me of my right to say merry Christmas, to which I informed him that I wasn't a Christian.

Be rational. None of this should even matter.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,367,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Some time in the past, that's what it was for many people. These days, there are only a few left who truly see it as Christ's mass. Most pay lip service in church while having indulged in horrendous, out-of-control consumerism for the weeks prior to this holy day. Never mind the un-Christ-like behavior the exhibited throughout the entire year. For them, Christmas is as detached from Christ as it is for secular, atheist, and miscellaneous other revelers - with the slight addition of trying desperately to delude themselves that it still has any deeper meaning.

All around me, I see very few people who express joy at celebrating their proclaimed saviors birth. What I do see are throngs of people desperate to get the best deals and feeling pressure about for whom they need to buy presents, how many presents they need, how much they should cost, etc. I see people dreading to spend time with their families, too.

For most people, Christmas is nothing more and nothing less than a consumer orgy. I, for one, refuse to participate in it just like I refuse to participate in Black Friday and Cyber Monday nonsense. For me, Christmas is a time to spend with my nuclear family and a few, select, close friends, to quietly and calmly focus on the love we share and the relationships we have without having external forces constantly interrupt us. It is a time to share each other.

I truly like Christmas - but I like it for the sentiment and not the stuff.
Wow! This is so well said! IMO, the worst war that could be waged on Christmas is to make that day into another reason to find and foment hate. I am sure Christ is saddened by the way some people choose to "defend" Him.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default War on Christmas!!

It's terrible. Christmas is fading so quickly into the woodwork that xtians will have to make up another holiday sometime soon.

Persecution!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
I celebrate the birth of my saviour Jesus Christ and anyone at all is welcome to celebrate that along with me. If they choose not to then so be it. Why would it bother me a single iota more than the fact that there are billions of non Christian people on this planet. Maybe it would be better for those true Christians if the secular world did not observe Christmas at all. You know, there are Christians right now in Syria. Most likely their celebration of Christmas this year will mean more to them than to the vast majority of Christians here. They are fully aware of the fragility of our lives here on this earth and how likely they are to be snuffed out in an instant. They will be celebrating Christmas knowing and fully understanding that it represents their only hope and consolation here in this sinful and fallen world. I would like it if only the people who are trusting in Jesus as their only hope for eternity celebrated Christmas. For the unsaved to be celebrating Christmas is an oxymoron. They are actually celebrating something they don't understand, can't understand and in their secret heart of hearts despise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies