Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM

59,549 posts, read 27,691,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The whole thing is aimed at Democratic voters, Democratic districts, and is designed to make it harder to vote. This is why we have 8 hour lines. It's why students at a liberal college in North Carolina are being told that college students aren't residents and so can't vote but the students at the conservative college are being left alone.
Duh! College students are NOT residents unless they either live in the state that they are going to college in or have taken the effort to become a reisident of that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Duh! College students are NOT residents unless they either live in the state that they are going to college in or have taken the effort to become a reisident of that state.
Yes. They. Are. They are counted as residents in the census. They are eligible to vote in their college town/city. I've posted links about this before. You may do a search of my posts.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,458,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You only had to that once. Now you are asking everytime someone votes they have to have valid ID. I doubt that piece of paper you got in the 60's would cut it or a driver license from that era. Every few years you are going to have to prove who you are..again and again. For 40 years or more you were able to vote by signing an oath "Under Penalty of Perjury" now that isnt any good. I think the voter id stuff is a crock. Acceptable ID is stuff like water bills, car registration, tax statements, but student ID isnt good. Do you see a pattern here? Someone who rents or is a student has to jump though more hoops than the average person. Also seniors who decide to give up driving are now forced to jump though the Republican hoops.
Seniors who don't drive can get a state issued ID. Jump through hoops? If a senior wants to open a bank account and doesn't drive a state ID suffices just as it would for voting.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,458,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Most of the people affected by these laws, like I stated are elderly people. They do not drive.

I work in senior housing and we coordinate with the state to have them come and pick up our seniors, or we use the housing authority's bus to transport them wherever they need to go.

In regards to voting, we take our seniors to the poll to vote or get them absentee voting forms so they can fill them out. We also have a large disabled population and they get the same treatment.
So then there is no problem.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,937,548 times
All I know is that I am required to show ID every single time I go and vote. The lady asks for my ID card, she checks something off, I put my signature on a piece of paper and then I go vote and go home.

I fail to see how this is racist, how it is unfair, or how it suppresses the vote in any way, shape, or form.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,937,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, because South Africa is exactly like the United States and the Republican racists who want to prevent blacks and other minorities from voting are exactly like Nelson Mandela.
How are blacks being prevented from voting exactly? Are they being denied an ID because they are black?

Do white people not have to go and get the ID?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,498,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How are blacks being prevented from voting exactly? Are they being denied an ID because they are black?

Do white people not have to go and get the ID?
You hit the nail on the head, many times over. No one is being denied a damn thing, just in their warp sense of ideology of how they view id laws.

They certain people need something to ***** about you know, we all know don't we who these people are!

Why should we not know who in the hell is voting, and what is the problem with this.

I swear something certain people don't like, and it becomes racist, nothing like the race excuse over and over again.

WTF is the big deal, show your id and be done with it.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:36 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,255,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
All I know is that I am required to show ID every single time I go and vote. The lady asks for my ID card, she checks something off, I put my signature on a piece of paper and then I go vote and go home.

I fail to see how this is racist, how it is unfair, or how it suppresses the vote in any way, shape, or form.
It suppresses the multiple voters, illegal alien voters, and deceased voters which is what gave Obama the edge last year. They just yell racist to shut down any honest dialogue about it.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,335,462 times
Gee--slimy republican politicians seems to think it will help them. House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R-Allegheny) “Pro-Second Amendment? The Castle Doctrine, it’s done. First pro-life legislation – abortion facility regulations – in 22 years, done. Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.” So he was not only wrong but was intentionally trying to change the vote with ID laws.

Turzai: Voter ID Law Means Romney Can Win in PA | PoliticsPA

Everything you need to know about the Pennsylvania voter ID fight

Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,247,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If there is rampant voting fraud why did the governors men tell the court there is NO voter fraud. NONE!
Pennsylvania admits it: no voter fraud problem - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
Those are just stipulations about what evidence will be presented that is common in any court case so both sides can prepare. That's so one side can't drop a bomb on the other during the trial. Since that evidence is irrelevant to their case they won't present it. No lawyer in their right mind is going to bring evidence into a trial they don't have too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies