Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times

Advertisements

I like the idea behind what these representatives are doing. Take a look:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm not exactly sure who all is exactly protesting, but I like the idea behind it and the fact that they're leading by example.

Quote:
I appreciate some members of Congress are actually willing to see what it’s like living on food stamps in order to make their point about how horrifying cutting food stamps would be.

News flash, regressives: people on food stamps do not load up on Snickers bars and filet mignon. They’re limited in what they can buy, and oftentimes, it’s not enough to get by on. Go on thinking these are entitlements that let minorities live lives of luxury, comfortable in the knowledge that you’ll never go hungry.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
I sure hope the Republicans are living for a week on food stamps too. But I doubt that they would.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I sure hope the Republicans are living for a week on food stamps too. But I doubt that they would.
I think some of the participants are Republican representatives. Just because it's a Republican backed bill doesn't necessarily mean all Republicans support it.

I fear you may be right, however. I doubt they will either.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We pretty much do and we eat pretty well.

We budget $125.00/week in food and stick pretty close to that figure. $125.00/week=$541.25/month. We eat really well and healthy.

The minimum SNAP allotment for two people is $347.00/month or $80.13/week and I think we could live on that if we cut out some items that aren't nutritious such as coffee, coffee creamer and don't forget toilet paper and paper towels. Also out would be Little Debbie Snack Cakes and potato chips but those aren't allowed in my house anyway.

But one thing the pro-welfare side is missing is the fact that SNAP was never supposed to pay for all your food needs but, as its name implies, to be a supplement meaning SNAP was never intended to cover 100% of food needs.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

I'm not exactly sure who all is exactly protesting, but I like the idea behind it and the fact that they're leading by example.
Leading by example....? Please! Standing there in their suits and ties looking at coupons. In a week they'll go back to their posh life...

This is a publicity stunt, plain and simple. Lord knows they are going to need it come 2014. Any self respecting lower class people would look at these fools in disgust. It's downright patronizing to them.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM

The big problem with a lot of these people on gov't assistance is that they think they need a five course meal every evening, and that if they don't have enough money to get that then they have to go hungry, that they aren't getting enough benefits. IT'S CALLED RICE AND BEANS PEOPLE!!!!!!! Sure that isn't ideal every day but you got to do what you got to do, and why a family of five can't eat on far less than fifty dollars a week is beyond me...... A bag of rice costs less than $2 and a bag of dried beans is about .80 cents....

No excuse. None.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-11-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
The SNAP allocation for one person in my area is currently about 25% more than I could possibly even spend on groceries.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Another thing that is funny is that I would bet the vast majority of people don't even realize that in the springtime they have a free meal right in their front yards, and a GOOD meal at that. Just go out and get some of the Dandelion greens from your yard, sate those in vinegar and bacon if you have it and you have some really good eats.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The big problem with a lot of these people on gov't assistance is that they think they need a five course meal every evening. IT'S CALLED RICE AND BEANS PEOPLE!!!!!!! Sure that isn't ideal every day but you got to do what you got to do, and why a family of five can't eat on far less than fifty dollars a week is beyond me...... A bag of rice costs less than $2 and a bag of dried beans is about .80 cents....

No excuse. None.
A friend of mine goes on a mission trip to Nicaragua every year and takes lots of pictures. One year she stayed with a fairly affluent family (their house had TWO rooms). They ate black beans, rice and tortillas for every stinking meal, supplemented with locally grown veggies.

We have the richest poor people in the world. Honestly, can you imagine telling someone who lives in New Delhi and lives on about $2 a month that in America, poor people get free cell phones. They wouldn't believe you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

I see a Safeway ad; wrong place for food if you're looking to save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies