Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

Also, the US federal income tax is a progressive tax which means the more money you earn the more you pay.

By the way, no President in over 100 years has attempted to change this progressive income tax.

Over the last 40 years, the top income earners are capturing nearly all the income gains of this nation, and their share of the nation's income has increased while everyone else is capturing less of the nation's income as their share of the nation's total income has decrease.

If you are rational and logical person, then what happens to who pays income taxes is not some shocking surprise. It is expected.

So with the US having a progressive income tax, there is no way the top income earners won't pay a higher share of the income taxes when they are capturing nearly all the income gains in the nation.

If other Americans captured more of the nation's income, they'd pay a greater share of the income taxes.

In laymen's terms, the disproportionate share of income taxes paid by the top earners is evidence of the growing income inequality that exists in this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I pay taxes, and I'm certainly not rich.
What's today's number? Watch out, the government is on a never ending quest for money and tomorrow Obama may consider you rich.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Finally, the third and most important aspect is that conservative tax policy is also a huge contributor to this income tax story.

conservatives want lower income taxes on rich people, but when conservatives go to the American people to sell lower taxes, they say lower income taxes for EVERYONE.

This means that every time conservatives lowered the income tax bill of the well to do, they lowered the income tax bill of everyone else, this resulted in fewer people paying federal income taxes, which greatly contributed to the reality we have today.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Well, if you define taxes narrowly enough (just income taxes) and the rich broadly enough (everyone in the US but the bottom 20% from the report)...then the statement can be made. It still doesn't mean it is true, it's just cherry picking what goes along with the OP's agenda.

I say OP's and not the author because the author drills into detail of that number the paragraph later about income versus total taxes.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What's today's number? Watch out, the government is on a never ending quest for money and tomorrow Obama may consider you rich.
OP and CNBC are claiming that people earning $30,000 a year are part of the put-upon, oppressed and overtaxed rich. People shouldn't complain about wage stagnation because they're already rich.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:24 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
I paid taxes, therefore I am rich?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
After years of people pointing out that most Americans pay more than JUST INCOME TAXES, it's amazing to see the same clown show propping up more of the same half-truths.

In other news, did you know that the rich pay ALL the taxes that come from passing on estates worth more than $4M to their children? Obviously we need to cut that rate to make it fair...

Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Good for them. I pay $0 in Federal Income Taxes during the course of the year, then try to exempt as much as possible from how much USA, Inc. says I owe during tax season. I also try to earn money in Cash whenever possible.

I would never want to give a penny more than I legally have to to this Federal Government (even though the Constitution says nothing about income taxes).

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-12-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
This helps to reinforce one of the arguments against the 'red state welfare' myth, as this shows most of the taxes are paid by the rich and the upper classes, who tend to live in big cities in blue states (but are more likely to be Republicans). Of the top ten states with the highest percentage of millionaires, all but Texas are blue.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

So with the US having a progressive income tax, there is no way the top income earners won't pay a higher share of the income taxes when they are capturing nearly all the income gains in the nation.

If other Americans captured more of the nation's income, they'd pay a greater share of the income taxes.

In laymen's terms, the disproportionate share of income taxes paid by the top earners is evidence of the growing income inequality that exists in this nation.
Use the right terminology. Since the US uses progressive income tax, there is no way the top income earners won't pay a larger percentage of the income they earn which means the more you earn the higher percentage of your earnings the government takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies