Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times

Advertisements

I have not purchased commercially raised beef or poultry in many years and even if the animal cruelty part does not convice you, the health risks of consuming what the industry has these animals ingesting should disgust you as you will be ingesting this garbage too.

The conditions that these helpless animals are forced to endure was compared to concentration camp conditions in the interview I just heard on PBS. Humans can inarguably be the most greedy and vile animal of all.

Animal Cruelty Is the Price We Pay for Cheap Meat | Rolling Stone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
I find it amusing when Rolling Stone publishes stories about social or political issues. I guess their sales suck so hard that they have to get into areas other than music, and make a big ruckus about it, just to keep the doors open.

Anyway, I buy grass fed and finished beef by the side from a ranch in Utah. I've also bought bison from a ranch in Colorado, and I'd prefer to buy that instead of beef (better flavor, leaner), but it's just too expensive now.

We're at the top of the food chain for a reason. We farm virtually every other food product - there's nothing wrong with farming livestock.

PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I find it amusing when Rolling Stone publishes stories about social or political issues. I guess their sales suck so hard that they have to get into areas other than music, and make a big ruckus about it, just to keep the doors open.

Anyway, I buy grass fed and finished beef by the side from a ranch in Utah. I've also bought bison from a ranch in Colorado, and I'd prefer to buy that instead of beef (better flavor, leaner), but it's just too expensive now.

We're at the top of the food chain for a reason. We farm virtually every other food product - there's nothing wrong with farming livestock.

PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

I agree, but I don't think we should treat animals cruelly before killing them to eat. Factory farms are pretty disgusting. I do buy and eat food from them but try not to.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Beef and fish are probably the best options.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have not purchased commercially raised beef or poultry in many years and even if the animal cruelty part does not convice you, the health risks of consuming what the industry has these animals ingesting should disgust you as you will be ingesting this garbage too.

The conditions that these helpless animals are forced to endure was compared to concentration camp conditions in the interview I just heard on PBS. Humans can inarguably be the most greedy and vile animal of all.

Being on top of the food chain and not near the bottom, has its advantages.
Do you raise and slaughter your own beef and chickens now?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:

PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

I prefer grass fed deer and wild hogs, along with a wild turkey now and then.
All I have to do, is sit in the back pasture facing the woods, right at dusk. It is better than going to the grocery store.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Yes, because the condition an animal lives in right before it is killed and then sliced up makes up for the killing and slicing up. I don't sit an dwell on the living conditions of a creature that exists to be harvested as a resource because the harvesting itself isn't exactly humane, regardless of method.

If I raise a cow, name it Bessy, love it, talk to it, pet its head while I feed it Martha Stewart Fancy Grass and Supah Corn (tm)...I doubt the cow is any happier when I roll up on it with my pneumatic machine that drives a spike through its skull so I can skin it, chop it into sections and then sell those sections at market.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:

PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

PETA... People. exploiting torturing. animals..

Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:

PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

There's that same, tired, lame, old and unoriginal meme again. Everyone who posts it thinks they're Oh So Clever, but it's been done to death.

In any case, Rolling Stone has been covering non-music stories for a very long time now. Try to keep up.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
There's that same, tired, lame, old and unoriginal meme again. Everyone who posts it thinks they're Oh So Clever, but it's been done to death.

In any case, Rolling Stone has been covering non-music stories for a very long time now. Try to keep up.
both true comments, but rolling stone does non entertainment stories quite badly.

as to the OP, considering the current level of food safety, i dont think we have anything to worry about with our beef or chicken supply. the slaughter of animals is always a messy business, there is no "clean" way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies