Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,195,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
But they knew his faith, and what goes along with that. They knew going in that he was a Christian. So for them to act surprised and shocked that he dared to vocalize it is just plain stupid and a bunch of bull. Dont tell me I can believe in something but cant say it.
Nobody told him he couldn't say it.

He just couldn't say it without consequences.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,840,872 times
Thumbs down Conservatives Applaud And Rally Behind Duck Dynasty Star's Hate Remarks

Not that this is to anyone's surprise, but those on the hard right are applauding the Duck Dynasty star's anti-gay hate remarks

Conservatives are rallying around embattled Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson, who was suspended by A&E for remarks he made about homosexuality in a magazine interview.
The cable network placed the reality show star on indefinite hiatus Wednesday, leaving his status – and the future of the popular program – in doubt.
Robertson compared LGBT people to drunkards, thieves, prostitutes and adulterers in an interview published in GQ, drawing instant condemnation from gay rights groups and others.

Conservatives rally around suspended ‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson | The Raw Story

Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,580,277 times
I think Palin said his free speech was being impaired, but I don't think she said this about Martin Bashir.

Just Sarah being Sarah, I guess.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,840,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think Palin said his free speech was being impaired, but I don't think she said this about Martin Bashir.

Just Sarah being Sarah, I guess.
Funny how that works with the right wingers isn't it? If someone on the left says something questionable, they go ballistic calling them evil, hateful people that need to be fired. When someone on the right says hate speak, they are simply exercising their 1st amendment rights,..

Old 12-20-2013, 05:44 AM

15,668 posts, read 10,449,026 times
Not just conservatives have been appalled.

"The suspension of Phil Robertson from A&E’s Duck Dynasty is outrageous in a nation that values freedom, according to social critic and openly gay, dissident feminist Camille Paglia.

“I speak with authority here, because I was openly gay before the ‘Stonewall rebellion,’ when it cost you something to be so. And I personally feel as a libertarian that people have the right to free thought and free speech,” Paglia, a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, said on Laura Ingraham’s radio show Thursday.

“In a democratic country, people have the right to be homophobic as well as they have the right to support homosexuality — as I one hundred percent do. If people are basing their views against gays on the Bible, again they have a right of religious freedom there,” she added.

Robertson has been suspended from Duck Dynasty due to comments he made to GQ that have been deemed “anti-gay.” According to Paglia, the culture has become too politically correct.
“To express yourself in a magazine in an interview — this is the level of punitive PC, utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist, OK, that my liberal colleagues in the Democratic Party and on college campuses have supported and promoted over the last several decades,” Paglia said. “This is the whole legacy of free speech 1960’s that have been lost by my own party.”

Read more: Paglia: Duck Dynasty uproar 'utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist' | The Daily Caller

Old 12-20-2013, 05:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,186,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not that this is to anyone's surprise, but those on the hard right are applauding the Duck Dynasty star's anti-gay hate remarks

Conservatives are rallying around embattled Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson, who was suspended by A&E for remarks he made about homosexuality in a magazine interview.
The cable network placed the reality show star on indefinite hiatus Wednesday, leaving his status – and the future of the popular program – in doubt.
Robertson compared LGBT people to drunkards, thieves, prostitutes and adulterers in an interview published in GQ, drawing instant condemnation from gay rights groups and others.

Conservatives rally around suspended ‘Duck Dynasty’ star Phil Robertson | The Raw Story

So if you don't agree with the lifestyles or choices of "drunkards, thieves, prostitutes, and adulterers" you are a "hater"? I don't think so.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,276,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
So if you don't agree with the lifestyles or choices of "drunkards, thieves, prostitutes, and adulterers" you are a "hater"? I don't think so.
Yeah, I wouldn't lump those things in with being gay...it just sounds stupid when you do. It is ironic how the cons are defending this guy for his hateful things yet when someone on the left says something hateful, you cons are ready to string him up by his toes. Guess you only support hate that comes from the right wingers.

Personally I think this guy is entitled to his opinion, but I think A&E is in the right for suspending him for what he said. They need to pay attention to their own brand and make sure it isn't getting damaged by this.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,768,449 times
Default Duck Dynasty to leave A&E, unless Phil is shown tolerance

I see the History Channel, the Outdoor Channel, or the Discovery Channel, picking them up.

Advertisers have already agree to follow the Robertson's where ever they move to.

I see A&E apologizing to Phil & the Robertsons

Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't lump those things in with being gay...it just sounds stupid when you do. It is ironic how the cons are defending this guy for his hateful things yet when someone on the left says something hateful, you cons are ready to string him up by his toes. Guess you only support hate that comes from the right wingers.

Personally I think this guy is entitled to his opinion, but I think A&E is in the right for suspending him for what he said. They need to pay attention to their own brand and make sure it isn't getting damaged by this.
All he said was that he believed it was a sin, that isnt hate, despite what some left wing kooks say.

As for lumping those things together, yes, its fair to lump them together if the discussion is "hate"..

dislike somebody or something intensely: to dislike somebody or something intensely, often in a way that evokes feelings of anger, hostility, or animosity

So you can add pedophiles, rapist, and various other types of individuals on the topic. Why do you support pedophiles urban, because obviously you do since its now wrong to hate..

Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,245,226 times
Good move. More power to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies