Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Too bad "freedom of speech" is limited to what people socially approve of.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not that this is to anyone's surprise, but those on the hard right are applauding the Duck Dynasty star's anti-gay hate remarks
Please show me where there were any hate remarks? I didn't see any mention of "hate" nor did I see any mention of anything other than listing a man laying with another man ALONG with many other things as being a sin and that he didn't think it was right.

So I guess if you're an adulterer,drunkard,abuser,thief etc or think any one of those things is okay Phil is guilty of using "hate remarks" against you as well.

Phil stated an opinion and belief, one that is held by the majority of Christian religions so I guess they're all guilty of hate?
I don't follow the any particular religion so I don't hold those particular beliefs but that doesn't make Phil (and others like him) haters.
Now if he'd said "kill them, stone them,hang them or commit Jihad against them then I'd take issue but HE DIDN'T!
Anything else you want to turn into a Right vs Left issue?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:13 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Too bad "freedom of speech" is limited to what people socially approve of.
What freedom of speech is being limited? He is allowed to say whatever he wants, we are free to act towards his speech however we want, and A&E is a company that is free to decide if they wish to allow an employee to be held accountable for what they say. I thought you cons were all in favor of corporations having the freedom to decide what to do with their employees?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What freedom of speech is being limited? He is allowed to say whatever he wants, we are free to act towards his speech however we want, and A&E is a company that is free to decide if they wish to allow an employee to be held accountable for what they say. I thought you cons were all in favor of corporations having the freedom to decide what to do with their employees?
I dont recall anyone suggesting A&E shouldnt be allowed to make that choice

Clearly conservatives are allowed to disagree with that choice and voice it, right?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Please show me where there were any hate remarks? I didn't see any mention of "hate" nor did I see any mention of anything other than listing a man laying with another man ALONG with many other things as being a sin and that he didn't think it was right.

So I guess if you're an adulterer,drunkard,abuser,thief etc or think any one of those things is okay Phil is guilty of using "hate remarks" against you as well.

Phil stated an opinion and belief, one that is held by the majority of Christian religions so I guess they're all guilty of hate?
I don't follow the any particular religion so I don't hold those particular beliefs but that doesn't make Phil (and others like him) haters.
Now if he'd said "kill them, stone them,hang them or commit Jihad against them then I'd take issue but HE DIDN'T!
Anything else you want to turn into a Right vs Left issue?
And a private company felt that was inappropriate for their employee to do and suspended him, so what's the problem?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Figures since this guy stated blacks liked segregation.

Quote:
“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
PC has taken "freedom of speech" to a new low.
What is going on is censorship and punishment for dissenting opinions.

I may not agree with what he said but I defend his right to say it.
And he should not have been fired for it..that is punishment for exercising his right.

"We are free to act…" sure..then don't watch the show.

Get rid of the R vs D here and think about rights of every American for a change.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:18 AM

37,166 posts, read 19,174,827 times
After adding his racist remarks to the LGBT remarks, I'd be really surprised if any network anywhere would be fool enough to run anything with him in it.

It's all about money. Phil lost.

Bye, Phil.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
And a private company felt that was inappropriate for their employee to do and suspended him, so what's the problem?
Once again, the discussion is HATE, people are allowed to protest a private companies decision, correct?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 AM

955 posts, read 744,247 times
The Robertson Family Offical Statement | Duck Commander
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies