Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkarr View Post
Oh yeah it does... Check out Scandinavian countries, Germany, Switzerland, Austria all with strict blue laws
USA, which has very few blue laws in place, ranks very high in quality of life Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider

Old 12-24-2013, 04:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Dealerships are closed on Sundays here and it's a hardship for observant Jews, since we can't shop for cars on the Sabbath which means we have to take a day off work to do it. It's a pain in the butt.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Dealerships are closed on Sundays here and it's a hardship for observant Jews, since we can't shop for cars on the Sabbath which means we have to take a day off work to do it. It's a pain in the butt.
You have it fairly easy. You might have to take off a few days every 5 years to shop for a car but magine how hard it is for a Jewish car dealer. He can't work on the two biggest shopping days of the week... every week!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have it fairly easy. You might have to take off a few days every 5 years to shop for a car but magine how hard it is for a Jewish car dealer. He can't work on the two biggest shopping days of the week... every week!

He can if he's not observant. Jewish people have lots of different ways of observing the Sabbath. My parents refuse to drive or turn on any appliances and they walk to temple. I'm not that strict but I do not conduct business on the Sabbath. I only buy something on that day if I really need it and since I plan ahead that hardly ever happens. I do window-shop on Saturdays but I don't buy anything. If I really like it I might go back and buy it on Sunday but that doesn't happen all that often.

As for Jewish car dealers...I've never met one in the USA! Plenty of observant Jewish doctors work on the Sabbath, but that is because they consider their profession (that preserves life) to be more important than their own personal observance of the Sabbath. And I get that.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:49 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Most people need financing to get a car. With banks, or their credit departments, closed on Sundays the dealer may not be able to complete and approve a transaction.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
It's called 'Blue Laws' which have been ruled as constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court numerous times due to secular reasons given (day of rest, family time, etc.).

Blue laws exist in many states in some ways, such as 12 states banning car sales on Sundays, to banning stores from being open on Thanksgiving and Christmas in 3 states, to banning of most shopping on Sundays in Bergen County, NJ, to banning stores being open before noon in North Dakota, to numerous states banning alcohol from being sold either all day Sunday or before noon Sunday.

Sunday closing exist in most of Europe for quality of life reason, not religious purposes as Christians are indeed allowed to work/shop on Sundays. Nearly all of America used to be shut down on Sundays decades ago but has changed unfortunately.

Some places vote thru referendum to pass, keep, or repeal any blue laws.
That "blue law" bit ain't right since some of us HAVE to work 6 days a week leaving just Sunday to do other things.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Blue laws have nothing to do with religion. Christians are allowed to work and shop on Sundays.

Blue laws exist mostly in liberal states
Blue Laws have everything to do with religion, specifically the Christian religion, and Blues Laws exist in all 50 States.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Some are uber-religious relics from the Puritan era (in very blue NE States). Has zero to do with controlling anything, as most of these are centuries old and based in religion
If it has "zero to do with controlling anything" then why do they prohibit business from opening on Sunday? Or prohibit a bar from opening within 250 feet of a church? etc., etc. Of course the purpose of Blue Laws is to control things, and always from a Christian perspective. Blue Laws are the result of mixing religion with government.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
USA, which has very few blue laws in place, ranks very high in quality of life Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider
Are you kidding? Almost every community in the US has Blue Laws in place. There is no escaping them.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Open 12.5 hours every other day.

Dallas Area New Ford and Used Car Dealers | North Central Ford - Serving Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington and Plano
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies