Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
People who have never spoken to the homeless haven't a clue.

They're mostly mentally ill.

They're mostly addicted to drugs and or alcohol.

They would not live inside, although to us, it seems quite ridiculous that one wouldn't want to be sheltered.

Unfortunately, we have a government that cannot be trusted to honestly judge whether someone is mentally ill or not.....politicians and other bureaucrats would use that power to go after political enemies.

Fortunately, we have a constitution that doesn't allow government the power to pick people up off the streets and incarcerate them for the crime of mental illness.

We, as individuals, can only comfort the poor souls.
Those with mental and drug problems are often simply not capable of taking care of an apartment and their lives, they need more help than just an apartment. Some have other medical problems as well, but not the money to go to the doctor.

And regarding existing shelters for several homeless at once, I heard that many avoid them as they are afraid someone might steal their few possessions while sleeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those with mental and drug problems are often simply not capable of taking care of an apartment and their lives, they need more help than just an apartment. Some have other medical problems as well, but not the money to go to the doctor.
And I don't see where this program addresses that.

Quote:
And regarding existing shelters for several homeless at once, I heard that many avoid them as they are afraid someone might steal their few possessions while sleeping.
Which in some cases is true but it's not like their possessions are safe sleeping out in the open hence the mental illness issue that I do not see addressed.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
OMG, taxpayers subsidize your home. Got mortgage interest deduction? Got homestead exemption? There's an extra $1,500 property tax on my home because it's a rental - be grateful taxpayers are subsidizing your home.
Enough of this nonsense.

You're a renter. You do not pay ANY property taxes. You pay rent, which may or may not be used by your landlord to pay taxes.

Your rent is set based on what the market can hold, and has little to do with taxes.

That's why property taxes are lower in California than in Texas, yet rent is higher in California than in Texas.

Any owner "passing the costs of ownership" on to you is doing so because they CAN. A rental property is a BUSINESS to the landlord, and AS SUCH the landlord is writing off his expenses to maintain his property the way a owner-occupier CANNOT, and thus it all works out to about even (or net gain for landlord-owned vs. owner-occupied).

So just stop. You do not contribute anything as a renter, and do not subsidize jack crap, on balance. Period.

Otherwise, get a better job or move somewhere where it's cheaper to buy a house. Minimum wage jobs are all over the country, so it's not like you have ANYTHING holding you back. You get no sympathy as much as you fish for it!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Just because people are homeless, doesn't mean they don't have people they know and like in their respective city. They are not some furniture you can ship and set up anywhere in the country.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And I don't see where this program addresses that.

Which in some cases is true but it's not like their possessions are safe sleeping out in the open hence the mental illness issue that I do not see addressed.
Of course, they need that kind of help in addition to a safe place to stay.
Many long-term homeless need to be retaught simple things like scheduling the day, eating healthily, etc.

When you keep in mind the huge problems many poor people already have without being homeless, you can only imagine the problems homeless people are faced with.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Of course, they need that kind of help in addition to a safe place to stay.
Many long-term homeless need to be retaught simple things like scheduling the day, eating healthily, etc.

When you keep in mind the huge problems many poor people already have without being homeless, you can only imagine the problems homeless people are faced with.
Many don't see it as a problem. To reiterate my point, many do not see things as "we" see them. While you or I may have a problem with sleeping in a tent on a river bank in December, many see it as being away from all those other people wanting to do them harm.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many don't see it as a problem. To reiterate my point, many do not see things as "we" see them. While you or I may have a problem with sleeping in a tent on a river bank in December, many see it as being away from all those other people wanting to do them harm.
Most of them would prefer a decent middle-class life to sleeping in a tent, though. After all, they did not become homeless by choice, but somehow drifted into poverty because of some incidents in life.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Giving poor people money hasn't cured poverty, so why would free housing cure homelessness? Oh that's right, because you cannot solve a psychological problem with a physical object.

Free housing will not cure mental illness, it won't cure drug/alcohol addiction, and it won't generate better choices/behavior. What it will do is create more urban blight in places that need less, not more.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Most of them would prefer a decent middle-class life to sleeping in a tent, though.
You do not know that to be the case. I think it might be safer to say that without their mental illnesses they would prefer a different life but you can't just dismiss that they have the mental illness and speak for them based upon how you see things.

Quote:
After all, they did not become homeless by choice, but somehow drifted into poverty because of some incidents in life.
For many it is a choice, it may be a choice driven by their mental illness but it's a choice all the same and a discussion we refuse to have in this country.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Giving poor people money hasn't cured poverty, so why would free housing cure homelessness? Oh that's right, because you cannot solve a psychological problem with a physical object.
There are some it would help but that help is already available and so the question is why it's not being used. For some families a place to stay would be a start but they do not seem to be a part of this solution. As I note though, we already offer subsidized housing for families.

Quote:
Free housing will not cure mental illness, it won't cure drug/alcohol addiction, and it won't generate better choices/behavior. What it will do is create more urban blight in places that need less, not more.
Not unless you force those choices to be made and then that opens up a bunch of new problems which are very difficult ones to address but they never will until we decide to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies